Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 6, 2021 at 7:26 AM Post #76,201 of 149,007
Ahh. 75 baud modems. Brings back memories.

JC
I never use those, but I do remember downloading two 800kB files with a 2400 modem once.

Including a restart because someone took the other phone off the hook.. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

May 6, 2021 at 8:14 AM Post #76,204 of 149,007
May 6, 2021 at 8:17 AM Post #76,205 of 149,007
The term "cognitive ability" combined with my name is generally met with polite laughter and/or sideways glances with raised eyebrows. You win this round :L3000:

This is from my Mac via wi-fi.

NC internet for comparison:

Edit: I'll bet the memory of beeps and squeals gave many of you flashbacks. :darthsmile:
I take it you are confused when you see all the zeros? My internet is 1000Mbps in each direction. Let me just check, up definitely in NC. :)

May 6, 2021 at 8:19 AM Post #76,206 of 149,007
May 6, 2021 at 8:22 AM Post #76,208 of 149,007
I take it you are confused when you see all the zeros? My internet is 1000Mbps in each direction. Let me just check, up definitely in NC. :)

It doesn't count if you're using your C8 as a hotspot. :smirk:

May 6, 2021 at 8:28 AM Post #76,209 of 149,007
BTW - My first computer: TI 99/4A with cassette storage and 300 baud (I think) acoustic coupler modem.

Same here, although I soon upgraded to an Apple IIe. You had to buy an expansion card to go from 40 columns of text on the display to 80.

I think my first programmable (in theory) computer was the BASIC programming cartridge for the Atari 2600. As I recall, once the cartridge loaded, you only had about 100bytes of memory left for a program. Pretty useless.

I recall the computer lab at school had Commodore PETs, with tape drives. We had 45 minute class periods, so you'd spend the first 15 minutes loading your program from tape, the last 15 minutes saving to tape, leaving only 15 minutes to get any progress done. Having a double-period block in the lab was a a bonanza!

For fun, you could play the computer tapes in a standard audio cassette deck. It sounded like music Ableza would like :wink:

I liked 300 baud modems. As I recall, text would scroll by on the screen at about the speed I could read (or was that 110 baud?), no need for a scroll lock/pause button.

Anyone remember using a hole punch to be able to use the other side of a 5-1/4" floppy disk?

As far as baud vs. bits-per-second, as I recall from my schooling many years ago, baud is symbols-per-second. Sometimes a symbol encodes a single bit and baud is the same as bits-per-second, but when you get to encoding schemes like 256QAM, it gets interesting.

May 6, 2021 at 8:41 AM Post #76,211 of 149,007
Thanks for the heads-up. I guess I can stop searching for it on 'liquor.com' now. :unamused:

Well, I am an expert on drinkology because I've been doing it longer than you've been alive, and I'm absolutely sure that Dunning-Kruger really was a popular whisky back in the 50s. I know because I am an expert and you are not.

:)

May 6, 2021 at 9:08 AM Post #76,212 of 149,007
My first computer was Sinclair ZX Spectrum 48, a hugely popular item in Europe. It was a marvel of British engineering and manufacturing with its rubber chiclet keys. I loved that thing for all its quirks - attribute aliasing, peeling paint, one key press producing an entire word in BASIC and so on. The craziest thing was that an official joystick expansion Kempston port was not plug and play which my dad found the hard way - he plugged the interface while our first Speccy was turned on. This caused the whole unit to go up in a cloud of smoke. Our second unit lasted a long time until I traded it in for a Commodore 64. Then eventually I got an Amiga 500, but that is a story for another time.

Ah yes, the ZX Spectrum. My first computer. I have fond memories of that - I especially liked the way each key had BASIC keywords associated with it. Brilliant! Also, it used a regular audio cassette player to store data and programs. Copying a game meant copying the audio cassette it came on and hoping that the audio quality of the copy was sufficient for the computer to load the copy later. Good times.

May 6, 2021 at 9:15 AM Post #76,213 of 149,007
Ah yes, the ZX Spectrum. My first computer. I have fond memories of that - I especially liked the way each key had BASIC keywords associated with it. Brilliant! Also, it used a regular audio cassette player to store data and programs. Copying a game meant copying the audio cassette it came on and hoping that the audio quality of the copy was sufficient for the computer to load the copy later. Good times.
OMG, you just reminded me...there was no official cassette player produced by Sinclair to ensure compatibility between different tape head alignments. Therefore, every ZX Spectrum user had a portable tape recorder with a screwdriver next to it to adjust the head alignment/azimuth. Awesome.

Azimuth Head Alignment Kit

May 6, 2021 at 9:54 AM Post #76,214 of 149,007
300 down, 12 up, too much per month with Comcrap. More upload speed would help in storing large business files in the cloud (not that we get many clouds in New Mexico during drought years).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back