Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 3, 2021 at 2:16 PM Post #76,081 of 149,227

SWyX20.jpg

May 3, 2021 at 2:42 PM Post #76,082 of 149,227
The advantage of balanced in a situation where noise is being picked up, is it is cancelled out - noise picked up one one signal conductor being cancelled by the other conductor being opposite polarity. Plain old telephone service (POTS) is balanced, the earth conductor being literally that.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balanced_audio
Ah I see, am I right to say that if I am on single-ended, it is not possible to gain such benefits even with the use of a DI box?

May 3, 2021 at 4:22 PM Post #76,083 of 149,227
Ah I see, am I right to say that if I am on single-ended, it is not possible to gain such benefits even with the use of a DI box?
If you are single ended and not having induced noise or hum issues, then i see no reason to go balanced. In my case, I'm balanced for 2 reasons

1) I'm using Vidars in Mono mode, requiring a balanced input - supplied by the Freya S
2) I'm using a Yggdrasill which offers balanced outputs

You are correct, a DI box (a good one with Jensen Transformers will run you a couple of hundred) will eliminate issues with long cable runs, etc - but do you need this? I actually considered the idea of converting my Video output to balanced via Jensen, in order to be able to use the Freya S in passive mode with all sources - however, I prefer the Active 1 mode at this point.

Last edited:
May 3, 2021 at 8:17 PM Post #76,087 of 149,227
It is in Texas. That's a state call, per the FDA.

BTW - While others have the food pyramid, here in TX we have the food dodecahedron. 😏

Last edited:
May 3, 2021 at 8:45 PM Post #76,088 of 149,227
Which is not working out. How again the vta on Sol? You loosen the little phillips screw, and do what? I turn the knob and the pivot stays put. It's frozen in place. Am I an idiot? I should just hammer it up ... oh, pull it with pliers?

Remember that when all else fails, brute force and reckless abandon are the only way forward.

May 3, 2021 at 8:56 PM Post #76,089 of 149,227
Which is not working out. How again the vta on Sol? You loosen the little phillips screw, and do what? I turn the knob and the pivot stays put. It's frozen in place. Am I an idiot? I should just hammer it up ... oh, pull it with pliers?
Have you watched Conrad Hoffman’s Sol set up video? It’s on this page.

http://conradhoffman.com/chsw.htm

I was unable to copy a direct link to the video from my phone, sorry!

May 3, 2021 at 9:43 PM Post #76,090 of 149,227
Have you watched Conrad Hoffman’s Sol set up video? It’s on this page.

http://conradhoffman.com/chsw.htm

I was unable to copy a direct link to the video from my phone, sorry!
Yeah, he skipped the exact problem I had but I figured it out. Now I am on to new problems. Ah, records.

And now, he did show the other issue I was having. Thanks!

Last edited:
May 4, 2021 at 4:01 AM Post #76,092 of 149,227
If you are single ended and not having induced noise or hum issues, then i see no reason to go balanced. In my case, I'm balanced for 2 reasons

1) I'm using Vidars in Mono mode, requiring a balanced input - supplied by the Freya S
2) I'm using a Yggdrasill which offers balanced outputs

You are correct, a DI box (a good one with Jensen Transformers will run you a couple of hundred) will eliminate issues with long cable runs, etc - but do you need this? I actually considered the idea of converting my Video output to balanced via Jensen, in order to be able to use the Freya S in passive mode with all sources - however, I prefer the Active 1 mode at this point.
Hmm, I am not sure too about the noise or hum, if any they seem to be RF related

May 4, 2021 at 5:55 AM Post #76,093 of 149,227
It is in Texas. That's a state call, per the FDA.

BTW - While others have the food pyramid, here in TX we have the food dodecahedron. 😏
Thanks for adding to my ( limited) vocabulary @Ripper2860
I didn't know what a dodecahedron was until I read your post :beyersmile:
I always learn something important from this forum!

May 4, 2021 at 8:35 AM Post #76,094 of 149,227
Nice to know that my nonsense can sometimes serve to enlighten and educate. :D

May 4, 2021 at 9:02 AM Post #76,095 of 149,227
Nice to know that my nonsense can sometimes serve to enlighten and educate. :D
Now, don't let it go to your head. Remember you're here to confound and obfuscate! :smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back