Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 28, 2021 at 8:31 AM Post #75,856 of 145,576
While I can sometimes tell a difference between some analog RCA cables. I can't say that I've ever detected any differences in the balanced XLR cables I've tried.

Apr 28, 2021 at 8:48 AM Post #75,857 of 145,576
Can that protect against lightning strikes?
No. Lightning is incredibly fast and powerful, and can do damage even if you're using piddly surge protectors, transformers, and suchlike. If you need to contend with lightning, it should be done as a whole house deal. While it's theoretically possible to protect against nearly all lightning strikes you're likely to encounter, it's insanely expensive to do so, so as a practical matter, the best you can do is to choose a threshold you can afford, and pray.

Alternatively/additionally, having your service entrance and house wiring designed such that it can be physically isolated from the electrical effect of all but direct hits on your house during lightning storms is worth considering.

A pretty good summary: https://www.farmers.com/learn/plan-and-prep/protecting-your-home-from-lightning-strikes/

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2021 at 9:16 AM Post #75,858 of 145,576
I think even a serious cable denier would use XLS if their equipment all allowed it.
Yes, but that is not for the cable, but to fully utilize the equipment.

Apr 28, 2021 at 9:40 AM Post #75,860 of 145,576
By radio I mean a random mix of new music. Not a playlist in my control.
I still cannot find browsing based on genre. Can you teach me?
Well it is basically a random mix of new music....just limited to say 75 or so songs. Anyway, to browse by genre, what are you using for Qobuz? I can only help with the Android app and/or the Windows app. On those and the website, to choose genres, it's right in the middle of the "main" page...Discover. Screenshot of the website:
1619617195568.png

Apr 28, 2021 at 10:23 AM Post #75,863 of 145,576
Guys, potentially really stupid question: I'm embarrassed to say I know NOTHING about microphones.

The Hel 2 has a 3.5mm mic input.

If I wanted a desktop mic that isn't a a headset mic, what kind would I need? I know of XLR mics that need phantom power (meaning no go), and usb mics which I rather not have because I have dirty usb ports, and wanna use the Hel 2.

What would work with the Hel 2?

Apr 28, 2021 at 10:57 AM Post #75,864 of 145,576
Guys, potentially really stupid question: I'm embarrassed to say I know NOTHING about microphones.

If I wanted a desktop mic that isn't a a headset mic, what kind would I need? I know of XLR mics that need phantom power (meaning no go), and usb mics which I rather not have because I have dirty usb ports, and wanna use the Hel 2.

Mod mic uni? That attaches to headphones but let’s you use any headphones you like.

Not sure on any good desk solutions.

Apr 28, 2021 at 11:08 AM Post #75,865 of 145,576

I’d say a dynamic mic with a 1/4” to 3.5 mm converter, those converters are very common in stereo. They must make them in mono. A stereo converter might work. Might.

Apr 28, 2021 at 11:25 AM Post #75,866 of 145,576
Can that protect against lightning strikes?
Typically these simply minimize leakage current. The ones we were required to install in our medical laser systems were just 1:1 transformers. The primary and secondary coils completely isolated from each other by a LOT of iron.

Apr 28, 2021 at 11:36 AM Post #75,867 of 145,576
I bought a 1000W medical grade isolation transformer from Amazon for $300 because I didn't feel like wondering/worrying about dirty power in my apartment building. It was more of a protection thing than anything else, but I can say that I never hear a hiss on a tube amp or any amp, even with IEMS. Plus, even if there is no sonic difference, at least the expensive gear is getting clean power, so peace of mind. I don't think it was a crazy purchase.
I got a Topaz 500 vac one for myself. The noise issue that I've heard from my computer through the headphone jack/mic has went away when I plugged that in. Definitely works.

Apr 28, 2021 at 11:47 AM Post #75,868 of 145,576
Balanced cables were the easiest solution for a hum I had. Since then I just stick with balanced where I can.
I stand corrected then, looks like balanced do indeed have audible differences

That E-Bay unit is legit. It's from one of the guys at the super friends site. Who also happens to live in Corpus Christie.
It's indeed purrin/marv; the admin from SBAF: https://www.superbestaudiofriends.o...ifier-b-stock-signed-by-jason-stoddard.10921/

You need balanced cables to run your Aegir’s or Vidar’s mono. If you have a hardware balanced DAC like the Yggdrasil or Gungnir why would you not use balanced cables?
Fair enough, the point I am making is more against those equipment out there that have balanced connections but do not have a "true" balanced circuit, It is not easy to see which equipment does that and to be fair, it seems like a much smaller problem than before

Apr 28, 2021 at 11:59 AM Post #75,869 of 145,576

Users who are viewing this thread

Back