Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 27, 2021 at 9:07 AM Post #75,826 of 145,578
Dealing with European vendors I have learned it is a mould (not mold), and torch not flashlight (still not sure how a caliper became sliding gauge though and dial indicator and plumb bob just got butchered in translation). I am sure there are a few more as well.
Having spent much of my working life in a global standards consortium, I'm used to translating as needed. The biggest, most contentious, debate was whether we should adopt US English for our specifications. We did in the end and my kinder colleagues would refer to that as "Simple English". The more provocative called in "English for Illiterates".

Apr 27, 2021 at 10:27 AM Post #75,828 of 145,578
One advantage of balanced cables is the XLR connector. Good XLR connectors are very resonably priced. Inside that chunky metal body hides some very low mass connectors. Low mass RCA plugs tend to be expensive, and fragile.

A lot of "cable believers" believe that the connector on the end of the cable can have as much/more influence as the wire itself. I can hear differences between different RCA cables pretty readily in my system. Differences in XLR cable swaps are much more subtle to me. There are those that say that's because the XLR connector is superior to the RCA plug.

Apr 27, 2021 at 10:37 AM Post #75,829 of 145,578
It's made with carbon fiber. So it's structurally rigid to support the heavy bass notes and yet really light to transport the delicate high notes of every genre of music.

Don't forget to also upgrade your power cords. And don't be a cheapskate, spring for the uranium plated mains plugs. You'll thank me later.
And make sure they don't try to slip you that cheap weapons-grade uranium either! Only 5 nines pure U!

Apr 27, 2021 at 10:37 AM Post #75,830 of 145,578
I agree, I simply appreciate the science.
I agree too. It's difficult at times though to make a clear distinction between the real science and the pseudo-science, especially for those of us that aren't scientists (or educated in electrical engineering or theory). I don't want to steer things way off-topic here (that's only allowed for BBQ :laughing:), but many years ago I was quite firmly entrenched in the "cord is a cord" camp, and openly laughed at some of the stratospherically-priced power cords being offered at the time. If a power cord was of sufficient gauge for the application (eg: negligible voltage drop for the length in use), was of quality construction and made of quality materials, then a power cord was a power cord was a power cord. Full stop. Then a friend sent me one of those cords I'd been laughing about, and my paradigm shifted...radically. The "science" behind it was still questionable, but did at least bear some plausibility (to me). Would the same money spent on that cord have yielded more substantial sonic improvements if spent on a better component....instead of the cord? Maybe. Probably, even. Point being (from my perspective) is that cords and cables *can* make a positive difference. The question is whether the juice is worth the squeeze, and that's a totally personal evaluation depending on one's priorities, desires, and disposable funds for things audio. I still laugh at some of these car-priced cables, but not because of the price. My laughter is almost always due to the marketing crap that comes along with them that even a non-engineer can recognize as either total BS or coming directly from a successful clone of Albert Einstein (who would not likely be spending time making cables for deranged audiophiles :laughing:). Just my opinion, FWIW.

Apr 27, 2021 at 10:40 AM Post #75,831 of 145,578
One advantage of balanced cables is the XLR connector. Good XLR connectors are very resonably priced. Inside that chunky metal body hides some very low mass connectors. Low mass RCA plugs tend to be expensive, and fragile.

A lot of "cable believers" believe that the connector on the end of the cable can have as much/more influence as the wire itself. I can hear differences between different RCA cables pretty readily in my system. Differences in XLR cable swaps are much more subtle to me. There are those that say that's because the XLR connector is superior to the RCA plug.
I am a cable denier but a connector believer. Long before the cable wars it was standard knowledge that RCA connectors were “self cleaning” and it was a good idea to remove them and reattach them every so often. I once fired up a receive/speaker/turn table combo that had sat for a few years, the turntable sounded noisy. Three or four cycles of removing and reinstalling the connectors fixed it. I said before that the people who obsess about lightning hitting aircraft spend a lot of time worrying about connectors. XLR connectors look and feel better, I’ve never tested them.

Apr 27, 2021 at 11:00 AM Post #75,832 of 145,578
I agree too. It's difficult at times though to make a clear distinction between the real science and the pseudo-science, especially for those of us that aren't scientists (or educated in electrical engineering or theory). I don't want to steer things way off-topic here (that's only allowed for BBQ :laughing:), but many years ago I was quite firmly entrenched in the "cord is a cord" camp, and openly laughed at some of the stratospherically-priced power cords being offered at the time. If a power cord was of sufficient gauge for the application (eg: negligible voltage drop for the length in use), was of quality construction and made of quality materials, then a power cord was a power cord was a power cord. Full stop. Then a friend sent me one of those cords I'd been laughing about, and my paradigm shifted...radically. The "science" behind it was still questionable, but did at least bear some plausibility (to me). Would the same money spent on that cord have yielded more substantial sonic improvements if spent on a better component....instead of the cord? Maybe. Probably, even. Point being (from my perspective) is that cords and cables *can* make a positive difference. The question is whether the juice is worth the squeeze, and that's a totally personal evaluation depending on one's priorities, desires, and disposable funds for things audio. I still laugh at some of these car-priced cables, but not because of the price. My laughter is almost always due to the marketing crap that comes along with them that even a non-engineer can recognize as either total BS or coming directly from a successful clone of Albert Einstein (who would not likely be spending time making cables for deranged audiophiles :laughing:). Just my opinion, FWIW.
What really gets me wondering is that (assuming these cable companies are still in "business") somebody has to be buying their wares. Maybe they really do produce high quality "normal" cables from which their income is generated and these exotics are really an inside joke. But, if someone actually did buy those outrageous cables, whoever did the marketing is worth their weight in diamond-encrusted platinum...or something even more expensive, like those cables!

Apr 27, 2021 at 12:14 PM Post #75,833 of 145,578
Vali 2+ has arrived!

Attachments

• Vali 2+.jpg
    Vali 2+.jpg
    455.1 KB · Views: 0
Apr 27, 2021 at 12:49 PM Post #75,834 of 145,578
Currently listening to the new Vali 2+, it has been a long wait. Sounds good, I know some of you want me to let it burn in or buy aftermarket tubes, those things will happen. First tunes? A ripped CD of the album "BG in Hi-Fi", a mono Bennie Goodman album from 1955. So older than me but just. Any minute my wife is going to come in and complain that my THD has increased 3000x. I'll say, "Yeah!"

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2021 at 1:24 PM Post #75,836 of 145,578
I think I have a problem.

How much Schiit does one need?

After receiving the Vali 2+, I'm convinced that I no longer want anything but things with tubes.

Hoping and praying for a Valius or Tubenheim. 😬 Yes, I know Lyr 3, but I want the balanced... and around the price point and form factor.

XL Mousepad is currently in the wash.

Behind the curtain THERE BE WIRE MONSTERS, don't let the image fool you.
If they did a tube hybrid amplifer with balanced inputs at this $200 price point, it would definitely be one of the cheapest if not the actual cheapest you could buy. I would also be concerned that the balanced in would be there for convenience only and not really take advantage of the extra voltage. You can also just go full OTL tube and get the Valhalla 2 for $350. Not balanced though of course.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2021 at 1:36 PM Post #75,837 of 145,578
For my money, the more transparent you are about the exact status of back ordered and “in production” items, the better it is. I know it probably means dedicating additional resources to work on this but it is worth it to ensure that there is no long-lasting negative effect on the brand.
Just to go along with what you're saying, I recently looked into a Decware amplifier. Their website doesn't even mention the fact that they currently have a 6+ month wait for ANY amplifier they sell. I think it's great for them to finally get the recognition and subsequent backlog/surplus of orders, but cmon, they need to be up front about it when there is a 400 order backlog.

Apr 27, 2021 at 2:07 PM Post #75,838 of 145,578
I did the " your system needs cable for better sound" deal. However, the dealer said "if they don't improve your sound to your ears, send them back for a refund". His equipment was purchased with the same warranty.

I believe we have in Schiit Audio the same basic guarantee, with a few minimal fees. I would say there are sellers that will do this with cabling too.

This is how I buy any audio items. Its placed in my environment for evaluation with my equipment.

Thanks to Dave and Mike for this business model especially with reasonable priced audiophile grade gear. Plus, being upfront with the peril of manufacturing and having a presence on this forum.

Apr 27, 2021 at 2:48 PM Post #75,839 of 145,578
I bought a 1000W medical grade isolation transformer from Amazon for $300 because I didn't feel like wondering/worrying about dirty power in my apartment building. It was more of a protection thing than anything else, but I can say that I never hear a hiss on a tube amp or any amp, even with IEMS. Plus, even if there is no sonic difference, at least the expensive gear is getting clean power, so peace of mind. I don't think it was a crazy purchase.

Apr 27, 2021 at 2:55 PM Post #75,840 of 145,578
Indeed. One of them being able to browse based on genre. And another some kind of "radio" with the latest arrivals.
It is asked for on every forum and via the helpdesk as long as they exist but for some reason they never care to listen to their client base.
Sorry I'm replying to an older post. With Qobuz you can browse based in genre, FYI. And they have a regularly updated playlist named "New Arrivals". They even have seperate new arrival playlists broken down for each genre (Metal, Classical, Jazz, etc.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back