Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 23, 2021 at 3:01 PM Post #75,616 of 149,161
Yeah, it sucks but let's keep things in perspective. Not trying to blindly defend Schiitt but earlier on this thread I wrote a bit more about my opinion on the backorders. It did end up with an overall tone of "good things come to those who wait."
I definitely understand the situation, my only real gripe is that I wish the website was a little more accurate as to what is "in stock" and what is actually back ordered. I went to the Schiitr on 4/17 to see what B-stock etc they had and talked to the gentleman working there about Bifrost availability and he said if it said "In Stock Ships 7-10 days" on the site I should order ASAP because that means they have them ready.

Apr 23, 2021 at 3:10 PM Post #75,617 of 149,161
Holy Schiit! I feel for people trying to buy right now. But boy, am I glad I bought my Asgard and Bifrost when I did and that I'm done (for now).

Even getting something shipped FedEx or USPS is an adventure now.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2021 at 3:12 PM Post #75,618 of 149,161
Great chapter Jason, thanks for the insight. I had a question about this specifically, and I completely understand if it's just not your forte. I was wondering if DACs themselves have some sort of dither built into the circuit or if you are adding dither to your test signal.

I just ask because mastering is a side-gig/hobby of mine, so I think about dither in terms of it being something I add to the master of a track to make it measure (and sometimes sound) gooder. I always just figured that was the end of it, the dither I printed into a mastered file is what my listeners are going to hear. But if DACs have dither themselves on the playback side, this is the first I've heard of it, and I would totally care since my goal in mastering is to make the music sound as good as possible for as many listeners as possible on as many playback systems as possible.

The dither I (usually) use is called "Dark" by Airwindows (super cool DSP dev supported by patreon that just does what he loves) and it measures (and sounds) crazy good down to like 130 db or something obscene like that. I won't profess to understand the math, but it sure beats the pants off standard TPDF.

Dither can be added by the APx when we test DACs, but it is usually baked in. We do our own specific algorithm with a whole lot of special tricks within the DSP filter of our True Multibit DACs. Early versions did not dither, and measured worse when fed a test signal. Mike and Dave had many discussions regarding the audible effects of dither, and finally settled on the current algorithm.

With respect to dither in a commercial, off the shelf delta-sigma DAC, I'm sure it's part of the noise-shaping algorithm, but I don't have any visibility as to what they are doing.

Last edited:
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Apr 23, 2021 at 3:52 PM Post #75,619 of 149,161
Sounds like it's time for a product called Well Schiit that is all hand-wound transformers and resisters and point-to-point wired tubes with old-school carbon potentiometer volume controls. You know, use truly obsolete technology (but at least it's mostly available) and create a great sounding 30watt amp with around 10% distortion I could use to drive those old EV horns and Tannoy woofers I have stashed out in the garage...

Apr 23, 2021 at 3:53 PM Post #75,620 of 149,161
I believe Jason said he was still sorting out the chassis size as there’s a lot of heat output at idle. Sounded like it’s not the same size as any existing product.
Thanks for the help! :)

Well, I hope that it won't be any bigger than the chassis of the Yggdrasil and Ragnarok. I've cleared a fair bit of desktop space to fit these 2 behemoths, and I suppose I could make way for one more device of a similar size (if I'm going all-in for the Fólkvangr).

Apr 23, 2021 at 4:01 PM Post #75,621 of 149,161
Geez !!!

You may have to start selling whatever you can get parts for, just to keep the crew busy.

Like:
* LED mitigation kits
* baseball caps with brims pointed backwards, for those who like that choice
* Schiit racks to help us keep our little Schiits all neatly stacked.
* Schiit-branded BBQ sauces, implements, & aprons.
* limited edition gourmet color cases.
I don't want to choose between a forward facing or a backwards facing baseball cap, I want a modular baseball cap that can be upgraded when the fashions change.

Apr 23, 2021 at 4:25 PM Post #75,622 of 149,161
Finally received my B-Stock Modius today to feed my Jot2. B-Stock as in B A D Stock. The left output on it is super scratchy and distorted. Both SE and Balanced outputs so it's not a connector issue or a cable issue but more likely something internal. Anyone ever had experience with this and know of a fix? The distortion is there on USB in and Optical in. I'm massively bummed out because it seems like i've been waiting for this schiit stacc for weeks on end. Already emailed schiit and will update the post when they email me back.

Edit Emailed schiit and have an RMA in the mail already. Gonna be a long wait to get the Modius back but until then i have my og Fulla2 driving my Jot2 and it sounds literally 10x better than that modius did. Also have a Modi3+ and Vali arriving sometime next week so the baby stacc will have to hold me over i guess.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2021 at 4:36 PM Post #75,625 of 149,161
Bingo. Mjolnir 2 is gone, sorry.

Sol may be next--we've turned off ordering while we are filling current backorders so we can catch up. Long delays on some parts mean we don't have firm date when ordering can resume. It may be 6+ months out. Sorry, things are crazy right now, and getting crazier. A convo with our purchasing partner today was hair-raising.
Oh dear, to think so much effort had went into making Sol a reality... :frowning2:

Apr 23, 2021 at 5:12 PM Post #75,627 of 149,161
Thanks for the help! :)

Well, I hope that it won't be any bigger than the chassis of the Yggdrasil and Ragnarok. I've cleared a fair bit of desktop space to fit these 2 behemoths, and I suppose I could make way for one more device of a similar size (if I'm going all-in for the Fólkvangr).
I just moved around home office stuff to accommodate mini-monitors and new Zaor stands. Started researching desktop racks for more Schiit.

Apr 23, 2021 at 5:59 PM Post #75,629 of 149,161
We changed all of our backordered products yesterday to more accurately reflect current conditions and uncertainties.

Previously we provided a ship date, like "Backordered, ships May 5," which caused many people to camp out and wait until, like, May 4, then place an order and expect it to ship on May 5. The problem is, even if that date held, we'd be clearing deep backorders and unable to ship their order. So they'd be irritated, having expected their order to ship almost immediately.

So, now we have changed a delay range, like, "Rolling backorder, ships in est. 4-6 weeks." This more accurately reflects the wait for a product to ship when you order that day. It doesn't set expectations for a single magical date. It allows for surprises in the extremely difficult environment we're operating in--seriously, one part out of hundreds can hold up a product indefinitely. Analog Devices DACs are now 26-45 week lead times. Many tiny, seemingly insignificant parts, like capacitors, are out of stock or delayed (or different, and have to be requalified. The lead time for steel and aluminum has drawn out--hell, the cost of sheet steel is up 2X from November and 4X from a couple of years ago (!)

Bottom line, the pedal is on the floor. Everyone at Schiit knows they are empowered to expand, hire, accelerate, but we can only produce so many products of high quality and reliability. We don't want these backorders. Nobody does. And we're working to fix them. I hope the "estimated X-Y weeks" on many products is a pessimistic estimate.

So: best to order and wait, if you really want something in backorder. Or move on. Our estimates are exactly that--estimates. As in, guesses. And to be clear, we don't charge your order until it ships.
You have my sympathy, Jason. Even during "normal times", managing a complicated supply-chain can't be fun. Doing it now? OMG.
Screen Shot 2021-04-23 at 2.41.35 PM.png

Like others, I'm being patient and hitting 'refresh' once or twice a day. (who am I kidding? once or twice an hour!)

Wasn't there a Guinness advertisement that went something like "Good things come to those who wait"? :wink:

In this case, it's an extremely good thing - and I'm willing to wait.

Apr 23, 2021 at 6:01 PM Post #75,630 of 149,161

Users who are viewing this thread

Back