Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 18, 2021 at 12:45 PM Post #75,347 of 149,102
Yggdrasil doesn't need that. But who knows what the future might hold?

As an international customer, I disagree as every upgrade meant having to send in the Yggdrasil, which is very costly for something that heavy, and doubled due to two-way shipping

Autonomy means just having to pay for the upgrade card and much lower one-way shipping for that

Apr 18, 2021 at 12:48 PM Post #75,348 of 149,102
Well no one says you HAVE to upgrade... but I see your point if you are talking about upgrading the analog board. It's all part of buying products from a small company.

Apr 18, 2021 at 12:54 PM Post #75,349 of 149,102
Well no one says you HAVE to upgrade... but I see your point if you are talking about upgrading the analog board. It's all part of buying products from a small company.
Fair enough, but if there are ways to reduce trips for the sake of the environment and to reduce chances of something that expensive being damaged during transit, I would be more than happy to support

Apr 18, 2021 at 1:00 PM Post #75,350 of 149,102
Yggdrasil doesn't need that. But who knows what the future might hold?

I think the idea is that the different analog boards need different firmware, which currently requires a trip back to Schiit. Bifrost 2 has an SD card slot that can be used to upgrade the firmware. I think that's the feature that they call 'Autonomy'. Not strictly necessary, but a nifty feature IMHO.

Apr 18, 2021 at 1:10 PM Post #75,351 of 149,102
I think the idea is that the different analog boards need different firmware, which currently requires a trip back to Schiit. Bifrost 2 has an SD card slot that can be used to upgrade the firmware. I think that's the feature that they call 'Autonomy'. Not strictly necessary, but a nifty feature IMHO.
Aside from firmware upgrade, Autonomy is about being able to upgrade the cards easily by yourself without needing a trip back to Schiit; the upgrades work like replacing a graphic card of your computer

Apr 18, 2021 at 1:23 PM Post #75,352 of 149,102
Aside from firmware upgrade, Autonomy is about being able to upgrade the cards easily by yourself without needing a trip back to Schiit; the upgrades work like replacing a graphic card of your computer
Even better than that, as you don’t even have to open the enclosure.

Just unscrew the card from the back, slide it out, slide the new one in, and fasten the screws again. Maybe also update firmware by downloading it to an SD-card and insert it in the slot on the back before starting the unit back up again.

A truly great feature! :)

If there ever will be a redesign or second version of the Yggdrasil this is a feature I would certainly wish for, and one that likely would make more people considering buying it, especially outside the US, because of shipping concerns. I know I would.

Apr 18, 2021 at 1:34 PM Post #75,353 of 149,102
Even better than that, as you don’t even have to open the enclosure.

Just unscrew the card from the back, slide it out, slide the new one in, and fasten the screws again. Maybe also update firmware by downloading it to an SD-card and insert it in the slot on the back before starting the unit back up again.

A truly great feature! :)

If there ever will be a redesign or second version of the Yggdrasil this is a feature I would certainly wish for, and one that likely would make more people considering buying it, especially outside the US, because of shipping concerns. I know I would.
Yep, I forgot to mention about not needing to open the enclosure!

And yes, Autonomy is one of the things I want for Yggrasil before I consider moving up from my Modi Multibit

Apr 18, 2021 at 1:39 PM Post #75,354 of 149,102
Yep, I forgot to mention about not needing to open the enclosure!

And yes, Autonomy is one of the things I want for Yggrasil before I consider moving up from my Modi Multibit
so you'll wait until 2026 or so? :wink:

Apr 18, 2021 at 2:37 PM Post #75,355 of 149,102
Second, we're building black Freya+es and seeing if anyone wants one to help clear those backorders (lots of silver orders, silver tops we are still waiting for.)
I didn't see this until today, and immediately went to Schitt.com and looked for a black Freya+ drop down to select a finish--there isn't one.

Do I need to call on Monday?

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2021 at 3:23 PM Post #75,358 of 149,102
Apr 18, 2021 at 4:54 PM Post #75,360 of 149,102
I’m in the queue for the Vali 2+. A couple have been sold as B stock since I ordered it. So those were not not good enough to send to me as A stock. I actually appreciate that, many companies would have repaired them and shipped as new in a time of back order.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back