Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 8, 2021 at 4:17 AM Post #74,761 of 149,016
I bought my first outboard DAC in 2016, it was an Oppo HA-1. A few months later I bought Yggdrasil 1. Done. It just sound so right I was not gonna' burn hundreds of hours to find that last 3 percent of imagined superiority in another brand.
Then I bought a Yggdrasil 2 and upgraded the 1.
I'll wait until I read some feed back on the latest upgrade to USB (or is it HDMI). As I'm CD only not sure how much of a benefit it would be to me to upgrade again.
I travelled a similar path to you @FLTWS :relaxed:
I bought an Yggdrasil 1, upgraded it to A2 ( and USB 5) and have since added Unison USB board myself.
I don’t use USB input at all, but will do so if I buy the new Schiit CD Transport.
I love the sound of my system with Yggy A2 at the heart of it and certainly won’t be looking for another DAC.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2021 at 6:09 AM Post #74,763 of 149,016
New schiit cd transport?
Yep, it's in beta testing. They are calling it Urd, I believe, (not Turd). I anticipate it will be the perfect companion to Yggdrasil. They still haven't released the feature set as yet and I'm hoping for "Repeat" and "Repeat A-B" as I do use those when evaluating stuff or recordings.

Apr 8, 2021 at 6:47 AM Post #74,765 of 149,016
Exciting.
A tiny box with only digital out and a button would be nice

Apr 8, 2021 at 9:23 AM Post #74,766 of 149,016
I think it is useful information, and for free! Also Schiit has measurements of all their products, good way to filter out crap design and/or build. Then next you can focus on finding your sound but to be honest the hassle of trying for example six DACs is a PITA. ASR helps me to filter, like Erin's Audio Corner too.
And often the look, functionality or the price is way more important than the SQ imho. Ymmv.

I like this video:

I think measurements are quite handy for rating inexpensive desktop amps and DACS. Apart from that, I will check the measurement on a piece of gear just to make sure it isn't a total disaster.

I love Jason Stoddard's answer about designing gear that simply measures well. He said "Put a bunch of op amps in a box, add a clean power supply and you're done". :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Apr 8, 2021 at 9:40 AM Post #74,767 of 149,016
Here's Mike speaking about the CD transport in January this year
He starts at about 8 minutes in

There have been further updates on 'Urd' and I believe it is now in beta testing

Price? $199?

Apr 8, 2021 at 9:46 AM Post #74,769 of 149,016
More likely $1,099.00?

Apr 8, 2021 at 10:22 AM Post #74,772 of 149,016
I read Urd is to have Freya sized footprint.

Apr 8, 2021 at 10:22 AM Post #74,773 of 149,016
Send me a beta unit :wink:
My asgard I ordered is stilled not sent.

Apr 8, 2021 at 10:54 AM Post #74,775 of 149,016
That definitely won’t be the Transport. It will also function as a digital hub or pass-through for computers or streamers.

This actually makes a lot of sense to me and addresses concerns about running out of inputs on my Gumby since it only has 1 USB input. If I'm interpreting this comment correctly, that means I would be able to input multiple USB sources into the URD, and then connect that into my DAC as a single USB input. Presumably the URD would have an input selector button like the Freya+ except for digital sources.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back