Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 31, 2021 at 5:23 PM Post #74,461 of 149,243
Is the only advantage to using a sys in this fashion over just splitting the lines that you can cut the other output? Seems like for most use cases, simple RCA splitters would be the better choice.
+1 about what DougD said about possible interactions between the two amplifier inputs.

There are some other factors, such as the output impedance of the driving source (in most cases, solid-state amplifiers have a reasonably low output impedance, but the same cannot generally be said for all-tube pre-amps / DACs / sources, especially those with a single tube gain stage and no cathode follower (buffer) or output transformer. The length of interconnects and their capacitive loading can also change the frequency response. Also solid-state amplifier input circuits can present a non-linear impedance to the driving source when powered off as well.

TL/DR: There's a lot of factors involved as to the measurable effect of driving two amplifiers with a y splitter: if in doubt, try adding a reversed Sys (or similar device) using short length interconnects.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2021 at 5:59 PM Post #74,463 of 149,243
Don't let that 3lb ball of sentient pudding in your skull convince you it's always right, because man, it is NOT.

Bonus points for "3lb ball of sentient pudding"

Made my day :L3000:

Mar 31, 2021 at 6:01 PM Post #74,464 of 149,243
Jason’s latest reminds me of one of my guiding audio principles: mental burn-in is your friend. Give it time to work.

I’m always encountering audiophiles who are looking for “something a little more ______” than what they have, and go out and buy, and don’t suspend judgment long enough to get past the phase where the new sound is jarring. That’s a recipe for churn.

Mar 31, 2021 at 6:39 PM Post #74,466 of 149,243
Well, OK, how about this:

Amazon dropped off a soft package of mass-produced goodies this afternoon. No AKM chips, or sheet metal or PCBs. I cobbled together my trial stack: Bifrost MB/ Musical Fidelity/ Stax. Then I sat down with some BBQ left over from last night and a stein of TX craft brew (from the Hill Country, so having it in a stein is culturally appropriate) and put my head phones on. I made sure our cat was comfortable on the footstool and checked my watch to make sure I had a while before I might get interrupted. All was fine so I pushed PLAY.

I have my DAP playing its current catalog in alphabetical order. Right now "Stairway to Heaven" is playing and sounds quite good. Smooth and full with a good foundation. Plant's vocals are strong and clear but not separated from the rest of the music. After Plant tells us about the "whispering wind" and Jimmy Page takes over, his guitar solo is compelling. Aching and driving at the same time, his guitar tone all midrange and sweet as honey. Articulation is on display with Bonham's kit: satisfying thwacks instead of sloppy thuds.

After "Stairway to Heaven" came Braga-Santos String Quartet 1. Good instrumental differentiation, but there's a lot to sort out. First violin playing "lead" while Second violin and viola play "rhythm" and the cello is playing pizzicato under it all. Parts of this movement actually remind me of Reich's Different Trains in that it has kind of a "railroad beat" (you know, as the wheels hit the joints between rail sections, that clickety-clack...). The recording isn't intimate enough, like the Bach cello suites I have, to hear the wood of the cello right away, but I'll keep listening. When the violins are playing hard, though, you can hear their bodies underneath the strings.

Unfortunately, on some of the "hotter" tracks I've listened to, including parts of "Stairway to Heaven" I think the Bifrost overloads the Musical Fidelity's input stage. I get some crackling/ staticky noise during loud passages. This doesn't happen when my DAP's connected directly to the V90-AMP via USB. As I said, I think it will be a good addition to my other hobby den.

Now that I've identified the strengths and weaknesses of my latest piece of gear (I like Schiit DACs better than this Musical Fidelity offering, and it has an easily overloaded input stage) I'm off to get a double dram of scotch before I take off my watch and dim the lights for a while. Perhaps if I have two double drams I'll be able to ignore the input stage clipping (all hail the scotch mod). My Bifrost goes back to the bed room system after tonight. I may hijack my son's Modi multi-bit for the evening tomorrow. His terms aren't as generous as @Jason Stoddard's, though. One day audition, not fifteen days.

I haven't tried my Loki with this particular stack... Hmmm. I have, though, considered taking the Loki out to the other hobby den when I get that all set up. It may have a big effect out there as basic as that system will be.

I'm not sure I'm comfortable with someone talking about actually listening to audio in this forum... but thanks for acknowledging supply shortages, BBQ, watches, beer, and cats - you know - the important topics on this forum

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2021 at 7:14 PM Post #74,467 of 149,243
I'm not sure I'm comfortable with someone talking about actually listening to audio in this forums... but thanks for acknowledging supply shortages, BBQ, watches, beer, and cats - you know - the important topics on this forums
It's been said happiness lies outside your comfort zone. To that end I sometimes swim against the current. On purpose. It often makes my knees weak but I try to power through.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2021 at 7:16 PM Post #74,468 of 149,243
meet someone new and dreamy?
Does a new component count as new and dreamy? If so then the addiction has a positive reinforcement loop.
No wonder we can't kick it.
So, I could be cynical and say, “This is definitely a call for audio retailers to start serving alcohol (and maybe more in states where that is legal,”​
I asked a local audio retailer why they were offering whisky. Because it made sales easier was the reply. Nice guy, seriously, made me laugh.

Mar 31, 2021 at 8:08 PM Post #74,470 of 149,243
Once upon a time when I worked at a hi-fi brick and mortar, the wine rack was ALWAYS stocked.
I think this is true of lots of boutiques where the rich are expected to part with vast sums in exchange for luxury goods. They want the shopping to be luxurious, too.

Mar 31, 2021 at 8:49 PM Post #74,471 of 149,243
It's been said happiness lies outside your comfort zone. To that end I sometimes swim against the current. On purpose. It often makes my knees week but I try to power through.
+1000 to that sentiment; Jason and crew obviously live it, I suspect many of us do as well....

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2021 at 10:27 PM Post #74,473 of 149,243
Well, OK, how about this:

Amazon dropped off a soft package of mass-produced goodies this afternoon. No AKM chips, or sheet metal or PCBs. I cobbled together my trial stack: Bifrost MB/ Musical Fidelity/ Stax. Then I sat down with some BBQ left over from last night and a stein of TX craft brew (from the Hill Country, so having it in a stein is culturally appropriate) and put my head phones on. I made sure our cat was comfortable on the footstool and checked my watch to make sure I had a while before I might get interrupted. All was fine so I pushed PLAY.
V90.jpg
I have my DAP playing its current catalog in alphabetical order. Right now "Stairway to Heaven" is playing and sounds quite good. Smooth and full with a good foundation. Plant's vocals are strong and clear but not separated from the rest of the music. After Plant tells us about the "whispering wind" and Jimmy Page takes over, his guitar solo is compelling. Aching and driving at the same time, his guitar tone all midrange and sweet as honey. Articulation is on display with Bonham's kit: satisfying thwacks instead of sloppy thuds.

After "Stairway to Heaven" came Braga-Santos String Quartet 1. Good instrumental differentiation, but there's a lot to sort out. First violin playing "lead" while Second violin and viola play "rhythm" and the cello is playing pizzicato under it all. Parts of this movement actually remind me of Reich's Different Trains in that it has kind of a "railroad beat" (you know, as the wheels hit the joints between rail sections, that clickety-clack...). The recording isn't intimate enough, like the Bach cello suites I have, to hear the wood of the cello right away, but I'll keep listening. When the violins are playing hard, though, you can hear their bodies underneath the strings.

Unfortunately, on some of the "hotter" tracks I've listened to, including parts of "Stairway to Heaven" I think the Bifrost overloads the Musical Fidelity's input stage. I get some crackling/ staticky noise during loud passages. This doesn't happen when my DAP's connected directly to the V90-AMP via USB. As I said, I think it will be a good addition to my other hobby den.

Now that I've identified the strengths and weaknesses of my latest piece of gear (I like Schiit DACs better than this Musical Fidelity offering, and it has an easily overloaded input stage) I'm off to get a double dram of scotch before I take off my watch and dim the lights for a while. Perhaps if I have two double drams I'll be able to ignore the input stage clipping (all hail the scotch mod). My Bifrost goes back to the bed room system after tonight. I may hijack my son's Modi multi-bit for the evening tomorrow. His terms aren't as generous as @Jason Stoddard's, though. One day audition, not fifteen days.

I haven't tried my Loki with this particular stack... Hmmm. I have, though, considered taking the Loki out to the other hobby den when I get that all set up. It may have a big effect out there as basic as that system will be.
I'm pretty far into my trial period with my son's Modi multi-bit. Since I still have my DAP playing alphabetically I've been listening to a lot of "String Quartet X". Overall, the Modi multi-bit holds its own quite well. Holistically the sound is full and ripe with well-fleshed instrumental sounds. What may be missing in the acoustic music I've listened to so far are the details. The "sawing" sound of a bow being pulled hard across violin strings, the wood of the cello, reverberation in a big hall. But then, I haven't been listening for those details yet or to recordings which have big hall sounds. I also haven't listened to any driving rock songs, either, so I don't know if the Modi can bring the crunch to the Stax yet. Soon, though. In order to minimize my variables, I have a double dram of Aberlour 18 with just the right amount of water...

While I don't really want to pick apart the sound, I do want to see if I can suss out the differences between the Modi and its bigger brother.

Note that the Modi hasn't once clipped my V90. Might be the tracks queueing up. I haven't put a Sys between my Bifrost and my V90 yet either. I could try that, my son might never know...

Apr 1, 2021 at 12:02 AM Post #74,474 of 149,243
Once upon a time when I worked at a hi-fi brick and mortar, the wine rack was ALWAYS stocked.
I used to spend time (quite frequently) at a great local hifi store, and spent quite a few dollars there over the years. Every Friday night they had drinks and snacks. Busiest day of the week and best sales of the week for them.

Apr 1, 2021 at 12:05 AM Post #74,475 of 149,243
I'll look around for something cheap on EU Amazon
There's this... Before I went all balanced, it was doing the job you want as well as switching between multiple sources and feeding two different amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back