Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 30, 2021 at 11:27 PM Post #74,386 of 145,758
Amazon dropped off a soft package of mass-produced goodies this afternoon. No AKM chips, or sheet metal or PCBs. I cobbled together my trial stack: Bifrost MB/ Musical Fidelity/ Stax. Then I sat down with some BBQ left over from last night and a stein of TX craft brew (from the Hill Country, so having it in a stein is culturally appropriate) and put my head phones on. I made sure our cat was comfortable on the footstool and checked my watch to make sure I had a while before I might get interrupted. All was fine so I pushed PLAY.
Excellent work sir!

Mar 30, 2021 at 11:37 PM Post #74,387 of 145,758
The only feature about Tyr that I need to know is the “release date”

Mar 30, 2021 at 11:45 PM Post #74,388 of 145,758
I’ve seen many images of a Mjolnir stacked on top of a Gungnir; what about stacking an MJ2 on a Yggy? Are there any recommendations against this?
I had my Freya+ on top of my Yggy and it would trip the Yggy to shut down. I just separated them to not fuss. The Mjolnir gets hot and you may encounter the same issue.

Mar 31, 2021 at 12:12 AM Post #74,389 of 145,758
I currently have a Gumby that is in the queue for a Unison upgrade. I'm afraid that I won't survive the week or two that I will be without it. I started thinking maybe I need another DAC to tie me over during that tie that can also be used for a secondary system in the house later on. I don't want an Yggy since it's just too large for my furniture. What's that leave? Another Gumby but a new one? I'm not crazy about the idea of buying another one since I feel like it's a model that's due for a serious refresh. What's below that? A Bifrost 2? That could fit the bill. Hmm... decision, decisions. Anything else on the horizon? Will Urd have a built in DAC or won't it?
unfortunately, no DAC for Urd (its CD transport only). so Bifrost 2 it would be (or Modi Multibit), also Jason indicated a new product announcement tomorrow (possibly a Modi Multibit+ with Unison???). Usually, there should be some stock of the new product on-hand at product announcement (like Jot 2 was, despite COVID), if you order early.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2021 at 12:12 AM Post #74,390 of 145,758
I actually appreciate this statement, and have read the link. The thing is, a email with actual information would be lovely, rather than having to make points and argue over the internet. A lot of us have other priorities in life with many factors and something as tiny as a bloody amp can make a lot of things better. The fact that receiving template responses really grinds my gears. I dont follow anything, so Im not going to be constantly looking for updates on forums in regards to something. My post was in fact to get a few laughs while venting. As people do on the internet, they get furious and believe companies are like cults. We must follow them to the edge of the world because you know they keep us alive, pay for our rents and so on. The fact that its been changed due to what ever reason at some point in time and getting the same template response each time is really really frustrating

Good points there actually since I was indeed in your position months ago (stressed out by stuff and just wanted better audio to tide over Christmas period). And yes, I agree that proper communication is needed too; one of the companies had some miscommunication that would have been easily solved by a phone call prior to delivery

Just that initially your post didn't come across as humourous but more like entitled

To be very clear here, yes it is ok to give Schiit (or Hel, any company) feedback but the tone and timing need to be done well

Mar 31, 2021 at 12:35 AM Post #74,391 of 145,758
Well, OK, how about this:

Amazon dropped off a soft package of mass-produced goodies this afternoon. No AKM chips, or sheet metal or PCBs. I cobbled together my trial stack: Bifrost MB/ Musical Fidelity/ Stax. Then I sat down with some BBQ left over from last night and a stein of TX craft brew (from the Hill Country, so having it in a stein is culturally appropriate) and put my head phones on. I made sure our cat was comfortable on the footstool and checked my watch to make sure I had a while before I might get interrupted. All was fine so I pushed PLAY.

I have my DAP playing its current catalog in alphabetical order. Right now "Stairway to Heaven" is playing and sounds quite good. Smooth and full with a good foundation. Plant's vocals are strong and clear but not separated from the rest of the music. After Plant tells us about the "whispering wind" and Jimmy Page takes over, his guitar solo is compelling. Aching and driving at the same time, his guitar tone all midrange and sweet as honey. Articulation is on display with Bonham's kit: satisfying thwacks instead of sloppy thuds.

After "Stairway to Heaven" came Braga-Santos String Quartet 1. Good instrumental differentiation, but there's a lot to sort out. First violin playing "lead" while Second violin and viola play "rhythm" and the cello is playing pizzicato under it all. Parts of this movement actually remind me of Reich's Different Trains in that it has kind of a "railroad beat" (you know, as the wheels hit the joints between rail sections, that clickety-clack...). The recording isn't intimate enough, like the Bach cello suites I have, to hear the wood of the cello right away, but I'll keep listening. When the violins are playing hard, though, you can hear their bodies underneath the strings.

Unfortunately, on some of the "hotter" tracks I've listened to, including parts of "Stairway to Heaven" I think the Bifrost overloads the Musical Fidelity's input stage. I get some crackling/ staticky noise during loud passages. This doesn't happen when my DAP's connected directly to the V90-AMP via USB. As I said, I think it will be a good addition to my other hobby den.

Now that I've identified the strengths and weaknesses of my latest piece of gear (I like Schiit DACs better than this Musical Fidelity offering, and it has an easily overloaded input stage) I'm off to get a double dram of scotch before I take off my watch and dim the lights for a while. Perhaps if I have two double drams I'll be able to ignore the input stage clipping (all hail the scotch mod). My Bifrost goes back to the bed room system after tonight. I may hijack my son's Modi multi-bit for the evening tomorrow. His terms aren't as generous as @Jason Stoddard's, though. One day audition, not fifteen days.

I haven't tried my Loki with this particular stack... Hmmm. I have, though, considered taking the Loki out to the other hobby den when I get that all set up. It may have a big effect out there as basic as that system will be.

a Sys set between 12:00 and 2:00 on the volume setting (or Loki Mini with all knobs turned down a bit) between the Schiit (or other) 2Vrms out DAC and the input of the Musical Fidelity should help with the overloading problem (but you probably already know this)

IIRC the Modi Multibit is also 2Vrms out. one day loaner might be kind of brief, but hopefully no restock fee :)

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2021 at 12:49 AM Post #74,392 of 145,758
I dont mind being the bad guy. The problem with the situation is, nobody can provide me with a solid date of when something is actually going to ship. I had to move already once due to covid crap. I already missed the original window for what I needed it for, but would still love the product. I love schiit products, but at some point you get 3 delays spanning 60 days, and you see another 22 day delay without a actual shipping date, you kinda lose hope in the company. If you cannot provide the product, do not sell it. Its like gpus, no backorder, no sale. I spoke with multiple people on there, and not one was able to provide me with a solid date. Just an apology and thats it. Its not their fault, its a trickle crap down economy like all businesses. They cannot provide me with an answer, so I go up the schiit fountain until some form of a real answer is given.
You’re (probably) not five any more, why act it?
As you can clearly read. I did and Im not blaming them, Im going up the schiit fountain. Your anger is obviously preventing you from reading and comprehending a statement.
No, he gets it. We all do. And we’re not angry, either...

Mar 31, 2021 at 12:49 AM Post #74,393 of 145,758
I actually appreciate this statement, and have read the link. The thing is, a email with actual information would be lovely, rather than having to make points and argue over the internet. A lot of us have other priorities in life with many factors and something as tiny as a bloody amp can make a lot of things better. The fact that receiving template responses really grinds my gears. I dont follow anything, so Im not going to be constantly looking for updates on forums in regards to something. My post was in fact to get a few laughs while venting. As people do on the internet, they get furious and believe companies are like cults. We must follow them to the edge of the world because you know they keep us alive, pay for our rents and so on. The fact that its been changed due to what ever reason at some point in time and getting the same template response each time is really really frustrating
if you see your backordered item listed on the b-stock page, consider b-stock as well (these items have full factory warranty, generally the cosmetic blems are small, and these are listed only based on actual individual units, so typically ship out quickly).

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2021 at 1:09 AM Post #74,394 of 145,758

I get your frustration, I waited for five or six months for Lyr 3 and ended up changing my order to Jotunheim 2 when it released. Jason has been very open about their production issues though, and the covid situation is what it is.

Last March, almost every single contractor and machinery supplier gave our project a force majeure delay notification, but overall we are still on schedule for now. Doesn’t help that most of the machinery are one-of-a-kind and we are the first in the world to make such a facility.

Mar 31, 2021 at 2:33 AM Post #74,395 of 145,758
Welcome to the thread, @Stevko . The Asgard 2 gets unnervingly warm. It won't cause your TV's housing to blister. I keep my beast's top air holes clear (to allow convective cooling). Your potentiometer (volume knob) will also get very warm to the touch. Again, normal... and no risk of magic blue smoke. Re: 3 inch clearance? That should be okay. My 2 cents...
Hi!
It will be a half inch clerance between tv and asgard 2.
The bottom of the tv is about 2.8inches. (Fat tv)
So I must put the asgard so far in under the tv as I can.
so most wentholes are free. Hope i can reach the vol nob and jack.
Thank you

Mar 31, 2021 at 2:54 AM Post #74,396 of 145,758
I currently have a Gumby that is in the queue for a Unison upgrade. I'm afraid that I won't survive the week or two that I will be without it. I started thinking maybe I need another DAC to tie me over during that time that can also be used for a secondary system in the house later on. I don't want an Yggy since it's just too large for my furniture. What's that leave? Another Gumby but a new one? I'm not crazy about the idea of buying another one since I feel like it's a model that's due for a serious refresh. What's below that? A Bifrost 2? That could fit the bill. Hmm... decision, decisions. Anything else on the horizon? Will Urd have a built in DAC or won't it?

I recently sent my Eitr to Schiit for repair and the round trip took exactly 11 days. Is that really too long to be without the Gumby? Don't forget you will get two years of warranty added to your upgrade date. That means at least two years of even better Gumby ahead of you. The line just moved up 16 notches about a week ago. (I am sitting at #20 for the Unison upgrade for my Gumby.)

I have a feeling in my bones that our turns are coming soon.

Mar 31, 2021 at 3:11 AM Post #74,397 of 145,758
I recently sent my Eitr to Schiit for repair and the round trip took exactly 11 days. Is that really too long to be without the Gumby? Don't forget you will get two years of warranty added to your upgrade date. That means at least two years of even better Gumby ahead of you. The line just moved up 16 notches about a week ago. (I am sitting at #20 for the Unison upgrade for my Gumby.)

I have a feeling in my bones that our turns are coming soon.
Sorry to ask but what happened to your Eitr? Am trying to see if others have similar issues to mine

Mar 31, 2021 at 3:16 AM Post #74,398 of 145,758
An open letter to Schiit
@Jason Stoddard

Dear Schiit,

Covid has been raging on for over a year now. That excuse is not as strong as you think now. Next thing you'll blame the schiit container ship that was stuck in the Suez for this. Chip shortages are primarily on gpus and more computer oriented products. Even drop, which primarily focuses on mass orders that ships after its manufactured, shipped earlier than expected. I ordered from them around late February with a similar type of product. Covid is a "schiit" excuse now...I don't want an assumption on inventory (There's a famous saying that I won't repeat about assuming). I want a solid date of when it will be shipped, not a back ordered date that keeps changing every couple of weeks. First time is okay, I get that. 2nd Time, okay a bit frustrating but schiit happens... 3rd time you're making an a** out of me. 80 + days is not acceptable for lead times. That's almost a full quarter. I've seen products become end of life faster than you guys are shipping schiit out.

If you cannot find where to get stuff manufactured, then get a new manufacturer or start manufacturing in house. If it's a management issue, then obviously someone has to take credit for this major stain that's been left on the shipping department rather than blaming covid. Ive read somewhere that 95% of the manufacturing industries are back to normal operation. I'm not blaming the shipping department for this obvious schiit show, but somebody does need to get their schiit together. This is an open letter to the higher ups at schiit.

P.S. Canceling is not an option. I want my schiit..
Hey! Found the first Karen in this thread.

Moving on, looking forward to the new chapter. Not sure if it's a new product announcement or not, but it's always a good read.

Not looking to buy anything new, but if it's a Schiit Modi Multibit with Unison, then I'm so in! It's the only DAC that I will upgrade my current Modi Multibit to.

Mar 31, 2021 at 3:32 AM Post #74,399 of 145,758
I recently made a thread on how I'm looking for a DAC with volume controls because I'm sick of having Windows' volume at around 30-40% cause otherwise my amp gets way, way too loud, until I realized that passive preamps exist. So now I'm looking at a Schiit Sys (because it's the only one I could find in a hurry from a manufacturer I know). Could I just pop it between my DAC and amp and essentially lower the overall volume of my system with it? Would it have an effect on the overall sound quality? What if I wanted two amps and split the RCA coming from the Sys to the two amps, is that still possible?

Mar 31, 2021 at 3:35 AM Post #74,400 of 145,758

Users who are viewing this thread

Back