Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 30, 2021 at 8:39 PM Post #74,371 of 148,578
I always find it an eye opening situation, when 1st world problems take on the character of chicken little was right all along.

This just seems appropriate…

JJ

Mar 30, 2021 at 8:55 PM Post #74,372 of 148,578
<< snip snip>> Because of that, I've moved my Stax SR-Lambdas from my big stereo (with the post- @Jason Stoddard Theta electronics) to the living room and have been using them. << >>

I realize I am comparing electrostatics to planars... My bed room system has more weight, more slam, density, fullness, weight whatever adjective you want to throw at "fuller" sound. There is more authority there. Now, there's a delicacy and speed and airiness the Stax bring which can't be beat when it comes to baroque music or the chamber music I've been listening to lately (Shostakovich string quartets and Joly Braga-Santos chamber works). My Stax even sound pretty good with the new-to-me Led Zeppelin remasters I've been listening to. They are a little over-matched by the most energetic of their songs, though. They just aren't that convincing when some muscle is called for. I don't believe the issue is one of wattage, though. I can turn the volume knob with the result being my ears hurt, but the sound is still lacking in the way I've tried to describe. << >>

I like what the Loki does for/with my Lambdas for rock'n'roll.

Mar 30, 2021 at 9:05 PM Post #74,373 of 148,578
Anyone want to see another of my watches?

Attachments

• heuer autavia orange black.jpg
    heuer autavia orange black.jpg
    363.6 KB · Views: 0
Mar 30, 2021 at 9:20 PM Post #74,374 of 148,578
I always find it an eye opening situation, when 1st world problems take on the character of chicken little was right all along.

This just seems appropriate…

JJ

My mind immediately went to Spaulding...not the sporting goods company

Mar 30, 2021 at 9:41 PM Post #74,375 of 148,578
Speaking about the erm, schiitstorm just now, that reminds me the situation a few months back where I have multiple companies screwing up my orders simultaneously in a month with most of them affecting my audio setup and one of them affecting my work. I may want to go more in detail but right now I need to prepare for work so I'll give the shorter version

I definitely wasn't quite pleased, especially with the communications from some of them. I tried two approaches:

Asking politely using emails (and even the forums if need be): Yep, eventually things got resolved (mostly refunds), I don't look like a [REDACTED] here
"Going up the Schiit fountain" (i.e. complaining about the issue here in ungracious tones): I looked like a [REDACTED], issue didn't get resolved

Go figure

PS: You are lucky considering the responses here. I know a super friendly audio forum that won't take very kindly to your Schiit fountain
PPS: Jason, this gives me a good idea, why not make a chocolate fondue fountain and call it the Schiit fountain?

Mar 30, 2021 at 9:42 PM Post #74,376 of 148,578
Let's not dwell on the negative here. (I say this despite being amused at the responses and the misunderstanding of Schiit's production line evidenced by the original posting)

Any idea how big Tyr is/gonna be? And how hot? Would one need to reside in Alaska to use it year round?

Also, I feel the need for an analog active preamplifier without tubes and with XLR (preferably balanced). Schiit refuses to resurrect the Freya S so I must look elsewhere. Any ideas? Not crazy expensive please, otherwise I'd go get some Boulder or MBL tech :)

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2021 at 9:48 PM Post #74,377 of 148,578
I’ve seen many images of a Mjolnir stacked on top of a Gungnir; what about stacking an MJ2 on a Yggy? Are there any recommendations against this?

Mar 30, 2021 at 10:13 PM Post #74,378 of 148,578
Car production lines are shut down right now for a lack of chips, and people might lose jobs because of this. Not only did AKM's factory burn down, but a Renasas foundry also burned recently. There is a global shortage on electronic components of all sorts, and an 80-day lead time is not unusual for a component, especially if you're relatively small compared to other companies out there. I've had 12-week lead times quoted to me in the past when a big auto manufacturer decided to use the same part as one of our products. I think a little patience and equanimity would go a long way right now: no one's trying to save the world or curing cancer here.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2021 at 10:38 PM Post #74,380 of 148,578
Not good enough I'm afraid. You have been here long enough to know better 🤣
Well, OK, how about this:

Amazon dropped off a soft package of mass-produced goodies this afternoon. No AKM chips, or sheet metal or PCBs. I cobbled together my trial stack: Bifrost MB/ Musical Fidelity/ Stax. Then I sat down with some BBQ left over from last night and a stein of TX craft brew (from the Hill Country, so having it in a stein is culturally appropriate) and put my head phones on. I made sure our cat was comfortable on the footstool and checked my watch to make sure I had a while before I might get interrupted. All was fine so I pushed PLAY.
V90.jpg
I have my DAP playing its current catalog in alphabetical order. Right now "Stairway to Heaven" is playing and sounds quite good. Smooth and full with a good foundation. Plant's vocals are strong and clear but not separated from the rest of the music. After Plant tells us about the "whispering wind" and Jimmy Page takes over, his guitar solo is compelling. Aching and driving at the same time, his guitar tone all midrange and sweet as honey. Articulation is on display with Bonham's kit: satisfying thwacks instead of sloppy thuds.

After "Stairway to Heaven" came Braga-Santos String Quartet 1. Good instrumental differentiation, but there's a lot to sort out. First violin playing "lead" while Second violin and viola play "rhythm" and the cello is playing pizzicato under it all. Parts of this movement actually remind me of Reich's Different Trains in that it has kind of a "railroad beat" (you know, as the wheels hit the joints between rail sections, that clickety-clack...). The recording isn't intimate enough, like the Bach cello suites I have, to hear the wood of the cello right away, but I'll keep listening. When the violins are playing hard, though, you can hear their bodies underneath the strings.

Unfortunately, on some of the "hotter" tracks I've listened to, including parts of "Stairway to Heaven" I think the Bifrost overloads the Musical Fidelity's input stage. I get some crackling/ staticky noise during loud passages. This doesn't happen when my DAP's connected directly to the V90-AMP via USB. As I said, I think it will be a good addition to my other hobby den.

Now that I've identified the strengths and weaknesses of my latest piece of gear (I like Schiit DACs better than this Musical Fidelity offering, and it has an easily overloaded input stage) I'm off to get a double dram of scotch before I take off my watch and dim the lights for a while. Perhaps if I have two double drams I'll be able to ignore the input stage clipping (all hail the scotch mod). My Bifrost goes back to the bed room system after tonight. I may hijack my son's Modi multi-bit for the evening tomorrow. His terms aren't as generous as @Jason Stoddard's, though. One day audition, not fifteen days.

I like what the Loki does for/with my Lambdas for rock'n'roll.
I haven't tried my Loki with this particular stack... Hmmm. I have, though, considered taking the Loki out to the other hobby den when I get that all set up. It may have a big effect out there as basic as that system will be.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2021 at 10:49 PM Post #74,381 of 148,578
I actually appreciate this statement, and have read the link. The thing is, a email with actual information would be lovely, rather than having to make points and argue over the internet. A lot of us have other priorities in life with many factors and something as tiny as a bloody amp can make a lot of things better. The fact that receiving template responses really grinds my gears. I dont follow anything, so Im not going to be constantly looking for updates on forums in regards to something. My post was in fact to get a few laughs while venting. As people do on the internet, they get furious and believe companies are like cults. We must follow them to the edge of the world because you know they keep us alive, pay for our rents and so on. The fact that its been changed due to what ever reason at some point in time and getting the same template response each time is really really frustrating

Mar 30, 2021 at 10:57 PM Post #74,382 of 148,578
I actually appreciate this statement, and have read the link. The thing is, a email with actual information would be lovely, rather than having to make points and argue over the internet. A lot of us have other priorities in life with many factors and something as tiny as a bloody amp can make a lot of things better. The fact that receiving template responses really grinds my gears. I dont follow anything, so Im not going to be constantly looking for updates on forums in regards to something. My post was in fact to get a few laughs while venting. As people do on the internet, they get furious and believe companies are like cults. We must follow them to the edge of the world because you know they keep us alive, pay for our rents and so on. The fact that its been changed due to what ever reason at some point in time and getting the same template response each time is really really frustrating
Agreed! I've found when dealing with anyone (including their representatives), that basic respect and civility go very long way (yeah.. i'm "old"). I've been waiting months for a Yggy and despite the price, fully understand our shared situation! Appreciate the frustration, and look forward to your impressions when you DO receive your order!

Mar 30, 2021 at 11:04 PM Post #74,383 of 148,578
Got my double dram: Aberlour 18 with a bit less water than I've been using. Just perfect! Two ounces Aberlour and two tsp water (that's 56 ml scotch and 10 ml water for those of you who still believe the metric system consists of real units). Absolutely just right. Joly Braga-Santos still sounds really good, too.

Mar 30, 2021 at 11:06 PM Post #74,384 of 148,578
Let's not dwell on the negative here. (I say this despite being amused at the responses and the misunderstanding of Schiit's production line evidenced by the original posting)

Any idea how big Tyr is/gonna be? And how hot? Would one need to reside in Alaska to use it year round?

Also, I feel the need for an analog active preamplifier without tubes and with XLR (preferably balanced). Schiit refuses to resurrect the Freya S so I must look elsewhere. Any ideas? Not crazy expensive please, otherwise I'd go get some Boulder or MBL tech :)

for Tyr, I would assume: same overall height, width, depth as the Aegir & Vidar (use same heatsinks). That enclosure can hold a 600VA transformer, which is already oversized. By designing only for 'monoblock' operation, it can be designed with lower voltage but higher current rails. ample room inside for more capacitors (needed for increased current / lower ripple).

Maybe Continuity S too, for lower standing bias current / lower idle heat, but still provide very clean peak power.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2021 at 11:10 PM Post #74,385 of 148,578
I currently have a Gumby that is in the queue for a Unison upgrade. I'm afraid that I won't survive the week or two that I will be without it. I started thinking maybe I need another DAC to tie me over during that time that can also be used for a secondary system in the house later on. I don't want an Yggy since it's just too large for my furniture. What's that leave? Another Gumby but a new one? I'm not crazy about the idea of buying another one since I feel like it's a model that's due for a serious refresh. What's below that? A Bifrost 2? That could fit the bill. Hmm... decision, decisions. Anything else on the horizon? Will Urd have a built in DAC or won't it?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back