Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 22, 2021 at 1:19 PM Post #73,906 of 145,674
As much as I would like an electric car, they need to get past two hurdles. One being range and the second being charging locations and time to charge.
Time to charge is the real kicker. Range hasn't been a problem for me (120mi) and I've found chargers whenever I've needed them.
This apartment complex has recently been installing ChargePoints.

Mar 22, 2021 at 1:22 PM Post #73,907 of 145,674
Ok guys. I'm running out of time.

For those who don't know or care, Dirty Weekend is upon us. That's when Zu sells their $1500 Omen speakers for $1000 and everyone lines up to pre-order.

I'm tempted. 60 day trial

Buuut:

Maggie LRS have been discussed at length around and well, who hasn't always wanted to try Maggies? Trial I think.

And of course the venerable Ohm Walsh, which is a serious speaker for serious money. $2000 for the small one, I'd probably have to get the $2800 version, which is more than I want to spend on a ca ... speakers. But, 2 channel surround sound, or something. Zeos BOUGHT THEM with HIS OWN MONEY. Not the Patreon fund and this guy has all the speakers already. So, I imagine that what I imagine these sound like is ... best left to the imagination. 120 day trial.

I'm not comfortable ordering all 3 and returning 2, or worse, not returning 2.

I would DM @Rensek as he has LRS and Zu DW. IIRC, his last statement to me was that if he had known the LRS are as good as they are he would have never bought the Zus. I'm sure he will be happy to elaborate on differences so you can determine which may be best for you.

*** EDIT: Disregard. I see he has already responded.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2021 at 1:27 PM Post #73,908 of 145,674
Maggie LRS have been discussed at length around and well, who hasn't always wanted to try Maggies? Trial I think.
I vote the Maggies. They sound like nothing else. Haven't heard Ohms.

Researching the Zu I found some really distasteful (to me) characteristics: beaminess or odd sweet spot for the most natural sound and a frequency response that raises eyebrows. That sensitivity though!

Maggies drawback is the need for power and, for some, more palpable bass. In terms of how it sounds, it's the most natural speaker I've ever heard.

Mar 22, 2021 at 1:30 PM Post #73,909 of 145,674
Ok guys. I'm running out of time.

For those who don't know or care, Dirty Weekend is upon us. That's when Zu sells their $1500 Omen speakers for $1000 and everyone lines up to pre-order.

I'm tempted. 60 day trial

Buuut:

And of course the venerable Ohm Walsh, which is a serious speaker for serious money. $2000 for the small one, I'd probably have to get the $2800 version, which is more than I want to spend on a ca ... speakers. But, 2 channel surround sound, or something. Zeos BOUGHT THEM with HIS OWN MONEY. Not the Patreon fund and this guy has all the speakers already. So, I imagine that what I imagine these sound like is ... best left to the imagination. 120 day trial.

I'm not comfortable ordering all 3 and returning 2, or worse, not returning 2.

size of the music room and placement (including distances to rear and side walls & adjacent furniture) are also factors. IMO, get in the queue for the LRS and Zu's while the sale is on.

Ohm Walsh will likely need several feet clearance in all directions (360 deg) as they are omni-directional radiators.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2021 at 1:42 PM Post #73,910 of 145,674
I would DM @Rensek as he has LRS and Zu DW. IIRC, his last statement to me was that if he had known the LRS are as good as they are he would have never bought the Zus. I'm sure he will be happy to elaborate on differences so you can determine which may be best for you.

*** EDIT: Disregard. I see he has already responded.

That statement is accurate, but it is based on my regular listening habits and my room size. For my current needs the LRS would be great as my sole speaker.... Im contemplating a tube amp purchase to go with the Zu, or moving them to my garage, to replace the Elac Debut B6 2.0

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2021 at 1:45 PM Post #73,911 of 145,674
Interesting, I've seen a number of reviews here by Brits who have been mainly complimentary. Reviews overall have been excellent. My neighbor ordered one last month - he maaaaay get it this year.

Mine now has 2,500 milesish and it continues to exceed expectations. I have always had visions of US muscle cars being all unsophisticated power and not much else. The fit and finish on the prototype I saw this time last year didn't resolve those doubts. But the production car is outstanding, the fit, finish and ride are all excellent - and the hitech is superbly integrated and usable. I do have some minor complaints, but they are niggles (why can't I get rid of that bloody Android car icon?) And, in a phrase that will work for you, it sticks like the proverbial. I have never driven such a sure footed, precise car.

The standard car in the UK has much that is optional here in the US - though a majority of the cars shipped in the 2020 model year had them too. If you get chance to check one out, do so!!!
Thanks @golfbravobravo
This review from Top Gear was pretty positive.
https://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/stingray-coupe-2020/first-drive
I think the £80k price in UK pitches it against some pretty stiff competition.

Mar 22, 2021 at 2:32 PM Post #73,912 of 145,674
I am newly returned to 2, and 2.1, channel audio, after being busy with kids and a career for many years. Over the decades my desktop PC became my "stereo." But I also played musical instruments and built musical instruments (acoustic ukuleles, drums and marimbulas, nearly 50 total builds). My return to two channel listening arose when COVID caused so many concerts to go online. I wanted my computer music to sound better. I am shocked by the objectivist and subjectivist divide here. As an engineer of 43 years I value data, but I will also say that sometimes data is not worth the effort. I upgraded the very cheap built in soundcard on one PC using a $40 gaming soundcard. I heard the improvement. I then bought a Schiit Modi for my other PC, also noticing an improvement. There are people who would challenge me to do hours of complicated testing. Not worth it! I don't know how you value your time, but spending two hours or more testing a $40 soundcard, or even a $100 DAC, against a $2 chip that came free on my $600 PC is not worth the effort. The people at Schiit should test their $100 DAC, because they plan to sell a bunch of them. They ought to measure them as well, both are important. I wouldn't fly in a plane that experts had not measured, but I also expect them to use their intuitive judgement. History is littered with aircraft that should have flown well based on the measurements, but ended up dangerous because of some previously unknown factor. All modern engineering companies have design rules that are based on wisdom and experience but which cannot be proven with pure measurements. "It looks right to the experts" and "that has never worked out well" are not numbers but they are not to be ignored, if you are wise. I am glad that the people at Schiit both measure and listen.

I will go the other direction now and say that testing $2,000 speaker cables is equally not worth the effort. Again, I am an engineer. Go get a job at any aerospace company and suggest any improvement to their planes. Get a job at a computer company and suggest a (technological) improvement to their computer. Unless you bring a good reason "why" they are not going to try your idea. I haven't heard a compelling argument for speaker cables beyond "reasonable diameter, decent materials." So I feel no duty to test them.

I have a Schiit Vali on (back) order, because I am "tube curious." If the cost had been $1,500 my curiosity would have remained unsatisfied.:slight_smile: So I am pretty psyched that Schiit is bothering to stay in the affordable end of the market.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2021 at 2:50 PM Post #73,913 of 145,674
This weekend I was looking around for Who’s Next and cried when I saw the Mofi prices for the Gold CD (300+). But Hoffman forums helped with that issue! Picked up an MCA disc mastered by Hoffman, uncredited, for $20. That’s the best part of CDs! There is usually at least one release that can be had for cheap. But if you can’t find something cheap, just use Qobuz.

I don’t mind paying extra for the edition I want. Sometimes I even buy multiple editions of the same disc.

Yes, I know I’m not normal. My wife does a good job of reminding me every time she catches a glimpse of my audio expenses (most recently with the van den Hul cables I ordered—more on that when I get them.)

Mar 22, 2021 at 3:03 PM Post #73,914 of 145,674
I’ve had the Zu DW sale marked on my calendar for a while. I like the 12x12 footprint and 36” tall proportions but I have never had a chance to demo it. I may be able to if my brother-in-law jumps on a pair. I’ve got a couple good weeks of break-in on the LS50 Metas and really enjoying them. Both sets have some similar characteristics like great detail. Both have great soundstage. Imaging is good on both but the LRSs I have to have them toed-in just right and you have to be in the sweet spot. What I like about both though is that they both fill the room with enjoyable music, even off-axis. Different flavors. I like Grape, Cherry, and Orange!

I’ve got the KEF KC62 sub arriving this Friday. I’m excited as I’ve heard it in person with the Metas. As reviewed by Guttenberg and NBT Studio, it pairs wonderfully with both. Switching between the two speakers is a 2-minute proposition. The LRSs tuck nicely in the closet on a wall of my listening room.

We are still in the deciding stage of what wall art/photography and treatments to use in the room. Luckily with the full carpet and the odd shape of the room including coves it sounds amazingly well.

On another note, I have been experimenting with the IsoAcoustics pro-line mini pucks with the LS50 Metas on the Salamander cabinet. I’m impressed and not losing much to the stands surprisingly, at least with those speakers.

KEF LS50 Meta SRGordon 1500-6999.jpg

LS50 Meta Maggie LRS Compare SRGordon 1500-7001.jpg

Mar 22, 2021 at 3:12 PM Post #73,915 of 145,674
Which Magneriser models are you using with LRS?

Mar 22, 2021 at 3:22 PM Post #73,916 of 145,674
Mar 22, 2021 at 4:33 PM Post #73,917 of 145,674
size of the music room and placement (including distances to rear and side walls & adjacent furniture) are also factors. IMO, get in the queue for the LRS and Zu's while the sale is on.

Ohm Walsh will likely need several feet clearance in all directions (360 deg) as they are omni-directional radiators.
I found the Walshes easy to place - visually they look like omnis, but they have a baffle behind the cone to make placement easier...

Mar 22, 2021 at 5:18 PM Post #73,918 of 145,674
I don't think they've ever said anything about Valhalla so it's probably not an issue...
Can you even trademark a god's name? :) Even if the answer is "no", I'm sure we in America will find a way to litigate the heck out of it. Also, :)

Mar 22, 2021 at 5:35 PM Post #73,919 of 145,674
I heard the Zu Druids a few years ago at Axpona and was really impressed by them. They had a real lively sound similar to a PA speaker but without the glare. I haven't heard the DW Omens but I've read lots of praise for them. Zu seems geared more for Rock sound. At least their 16 ohms are an easy load. I'd love to try the Cubes but $1100 is a bit much for what you get. Especially compared to the DW Omens.

I've also heard the Maggie MMGs (precursor to the LRS) and they sounded crystal clear down to around 100 Hz. They seemed better suited to jazz and classical. You will need a fast sub to keep up with them. Something like this. Depending on your music tastes either one seems like a good choice.

Mar 22, 2021 at 5:38 PM Post #73,920 of 145,674
Ooh, the inexpensive stuff has my juices flowing. It's there anything tube related down low? I ask because I'm THIS close to really wanting a Vali, but I'm holding on hope for maybe you guys surprising us with something.

I'd even be down for a mini tube buffer to slot between the Modius RCA out and Jotunheim 2 RCA in for some analog sounding infusion. They exist, but it's not SCHIIIIIIIIT. I want Schiit.

Something like this, but... better... And Schiit. And maybe single tube...

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08Q7J5YMY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_95MD7GBSD64P5592YSYV

I know...Vali, but I feel that's more headphone amp (I already have the Jot 2 for that) than pre... I dunno. It'd be the choice I'd have atm.

It sounds like you are describing Saga.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back