Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 21, 2021 at 1:08 PM Post #73,801 of 149,262
I just hope you can find enough GE tubes for it! :wink:
@bcowen owns a huge stash of GE tubes - worry not!
This is a photo of a fraction of his stash... :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
bcowen's GE stash.jpg

Mar 21, 2021 at 1:16 PM Post #73,803 of 149,262
Last edited:
Mar 21, 2021 at 1:22 PM Post #73,804 of 149,262
@bcowen owns a huge stash of GE tubes - worry not!
This is a photo of a fraction of his stash... :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
bcowen's GE stash.jpg

Geeeeez, man. That's @Paladin79 's "currently in play" stash. This is my GE stash, stored appropriately. Threw a couple Sylvanias in there so they wouldn't feel lonely. :smile:

Big Pile of Tubes 2.jpg

Mar 21, 2021 at 1:28 PM Post #73,805 of 149,262
Indeed, I ordered shorter cords as well. I’m going to try and make my setup as clean as possible (while carefully avoiding to cross power cords with any cable carrying an audio signal, but that’s something I’m already doing.)

It took me longer than I expected to find a picture that would illustrate the correct polarity for C13 cables so I could use my polarity checker to make sure everything’s plugged correctly. Not that it wouldn’t work otherwise but if there’s a commonly accepted standard, I see no reason to deviate from it (especially when polarity checkers are as cheap as they are—mine cost like 1€ and doubles as a screwdriver.)
most newer c13 cordsets (with UL/CSA/ETL/VDE/TUV) approvals have polarity markings near the terminal holes (a Grounding symbol or 'E' for the center terminal, and H or L for Line, and N for neutral (cold) side)

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2021 at 1:36 PM Post #73,807 of 149,262
I use a Cyberpower 1500VA UPS. I don't know if it makes the power any cleaner, but it gives me a chance to safely shut off my Schiit if/when the power goes out.
Cheers! :beerchug:
-HK sends
I use one of these on each of my PC's, you can even setup them up like they are a laptop and if the backup gets down to a set charge you can have them go into hibernation or shutdown completely...

I would highly NOT recommend zip ties for cable manglement, I recommend Velcro (brand name) wraps since it is a lot easier to adjust after you put them on, zip ties you need to cut and use another one.
I use both...
Zip ties for stuff that won't be moving unless a major overhaul is being done, and velcro for things that are either visible or might need to be changed up, like the cables going to my work PC that's mounted to the wall above my monitor...

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2021 at 1:45 PM Post #73,808 of 149,262
I use one of these on each of my PC's, you can even setup them up like they are a laptop and if the backup gets down to a set charge you can have them go into hibernation or shutdown completely...

I use both...
Zip ties for stuff that won't be moving unless a major overhaul is being done, and velcro for things that are either visible or might need to be changed up, like the cables going to my work PC that's mounted to the wall above my monitor...
Yep, small USB cord from the UPS to the computer that sends the ping to shut the computer down safely/normally when it hits the setpoint.

Mar 21, 2021 at 1:45 PM Post #73,809 of 149,262
Me too! And in Aviano Italy.
Cheers! :beerchug:
-HK sends
Didn't try barbeque there, but got some Chimay beer at a pizzeria. How disappointed was I when I finally found it in the States and realized I had to go back to northern Italy for it to taste right? A magical brew when enjoyed closer to its birthplace.

Mar 21, 2021 at 2:03 PM Post #73,810 of 149,262
I Messed around with WASAPI and ASIO modes ... using Foobar 2000 (and VLC) . On my Win 7 machine, I never detected any improvements. Nor did I get dramatic sound quality improvements when I eventually upgraded to Win 10.
Re: enjoy the music. Sure! And tweak tweak tweak! :ksc75smile::robot:
You're so right - tweak it. Tweak it a little more and then back. Then tweak some more! I'm pretty sure my ears can't tell good sound from bad sound, but my brain sure tells me that having windoze convert every stinkin' music file to format x is not right. Therefore, WASAPI. Also, I like to multitask and on some nights I record radio broadcast streams from the internets while playing World of Warcraft. Problem is, Total Recorder pulls every DirectSound audio stream into its recording and I'd rather not listen to every every monster I kill while listening to the broadcast stream later. With WASAPI, I can put WoW, or whatever into exclusive mode through the Bifrost and the headphones while the stream is playing through the computer speakers in the background. With my CRS (can't remember schiit) I set something up and then forget how/what I did so that when something breaks x months later, I'm in panic mode because it doesn't work like I remember.

Mar 21, 2021 at 2:13 PM Post #73,811 of 149,262
Geeeeez, man. That's @Paladin79 's "currently in play" stash. This is my GE stash, stored appropriately. Threw a couple Sylvanias in there so they wouldn't feel lonely. :smile:

Big Pile of Tubes 2.jpg
I learned my tube storage method from @bcowen , I do believe that is a frankie tube laying right on top above the yellow sylvania box.

Mar 21, 2021 at 2:33 PM Post #73,814 of 149,262
I've got a couple shoe boxes that look like that.
I do have a GE tube I am currently listening to, a grey glass made by Ken-Rad with a very old GE logo. I also have a GE VT-231 that also looks like a Ken-Rad that is a decent tube.

I have some dud tubes I keep in boxes like that, I built headphone stands using them and they had the proper tube glow when I was done. :ksc75smile:

IMG_0766.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2021 at 2:37 PM Post #73,815 of 149,262
Bad thing about the Folkvangr is that I would probably want more headphones. Although I bet my Aeolus is a good match.

but how about the DCA low-impedance ~16 ohm planars? not expecting it to work with Susvara, of course and its 83dB/mW efficiency.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back