Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 8, 2021 at 6:43 PM Post #72,858 of 148,545
Mar 8, 2021 at 6:51 PM Post #72,860 of 148,545
Damn, that’s niche.
Don't even get me started on 8-track.... One of my first real jobs was at a bicycle shop, graced with a Radio Shack Realistic 8-Track player housed in a fine Vinyl Walnut case, marred by cigarette burns. Collection of available tapes was very small; one of which was Elton John's Madman Across the Water. To this day, listening to Tiny Dancer, I still cringe when the song arrives at a track switch......

Mar 8, 2021 at 7:31 PM Post #72,861 of 148,545
From the Darko Audio website, regarding availability at the other side of the pond. Indeed strange that not even a small part is getting overseas. You would expect that if the turnover, before huge back order period, outside US is 10% (complete guess) that this is reflected in current production and distribution...

Excellent question from Fletch and indication from Darko for @Jason Stoddard & @Baldr :

Fletch writes…

Hi John & Team,

I know that John has interviewed the guys from Schiit in the past and also made comment on the availability of their products in the UK and EU.

However, it now seems that the UK based “distributor” for Schiit has got no stock, and no idea when they are getting any – I confirmed this today with them over a chat on Facebook. Now, while I understand that you can’t (and probably won’t) comment on individual manufacturers and stock etc. that would be bonkers, however, I did wonder if other US-based companies are having issues supplying the UK/EU or vice versa?

If you can nudge the Schiit crew, that would be ace, but maybe there’s another bigger story here as to how the COVID-19 pandemic has effected Hi-Fi. Having had a lengthy conversation with my guy at Frank Harvey HIFI Excellence in Coventry, it seems they’ve had a bumper year, the problem has been getting enough product in.

Cheers, stay safe etc.

Fletch

Me: I hear ya. It’s hard to get Schiit gear in Europe right now but I am sure you can appreciate that it is not possible (or prudent) for me to comment on the reasons why. That’s their job!
Well, since about half the products on the Schiit website are on backorder and Jason Stoddard has explained that they are suffering supply chain shortages PLUS working to shift production locations for many popular products, I think Fletch just needs to stop whining and exercise patience just like everyone else must. :)

Mar 8, 2021 at 8:06 PM Post #72,862 of 148,545
Sorry to the general Head-Fi community for my self deleted post.

This is a forum about gear and music. Acrimony has no purpose here.

Good listening.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2021 at 8:52 PM Post #72,864 of 148,545
What are the good sides to California?

I was last there in 2016, LA, Northridge area (to visit my dear sister, married to a semi-commie Limey film editor). LA was filthy, pot holes everywhere, tent citys on major streets, pan handlers everywhere. They did have some good weed.

I couldn't conceal carry there (no reciprocity with NC). I packed a nice knife (checked), and an everyday carry (also packed checked, I didn't want anything confiscated).

I can't conceive of a situation that would make me return to California. (I am open to offers.)

Well, if you judge California by the LA and SF metro areas, it'll never be good. Those areas are retracing the steps Detroit has taken over the past 45 years, and it's difficult to see any way their trajectory into dystopic urban desolation can be stopped, much less reversed. I'm afraid the next shoe to fall will be unfettered crime; there's a recent story from San Francisco, easily found, about a TV news crew that was shooting a story about the huge increase in car theft, in the midst of which a car full of thugs drove up and robbed the crew at gunpoint of their camera equipment, then casually drove away, seemingly without any fear law enforcement would be interested in or capable of stopping or arresting them. Once criminals broadly realize that LE is an empty suit, and nobody is going to impede them, it's going to get very, very ugly fast. And in the most heavily populated places first.

A lot of rural California is still pretty nice, though. Good, friendly, generous people with values and a moral code, towns that take care of themselves, nice weather and all that. Probably not so different from the best places in NC or other places in the US you'd want to be.

But it's probably true that the greatness of California is in its past, and it's not likely to ever regain that way of living again, or even feel the hope or promise that it will ever return.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2021 at 9:51 PM Post #72,865 of 148,545
Doesn't seem to matter where on this planet you decide to live, there are always tradeoffs.
The places change over time. So do the people and their views about themselves and their lives.
Sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse. Often that depends on your perspective.

I grew up in NJ in the long shadows of NYC while NYC was becoming the "apple in decay"**. As a young adult, I moved to the then rotting Big Apple because the gritty, decaying old city spoke to me. Don't mind the maggots.*** Over time, NYC cleaned itself up, gentrification forcing me out of neighborhoods I had moved to because they were cheap, decrepit and edgy. Mostly cheap. For a reason. As the general cleanup was going on, a lot of what I had moved there for was erased. And while I visit friends still down in NYC often, it isn't the same city it was when I left.

** Bonus points for identifying the tune that line is borrowed from WITHOUT googling it.
*** More bonus points, same rule.

Mar 8, 2021 at 9:54 PM Post #72,866 of 148,545
Doesn't seem to matter where on this planet you decide to live, there are always tradeoffs.
The places change over time. So do the people and their views about themselves and their lives.
Sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse. Often that depends on your perspective.

I grew up in NJ in the long shadows of NYC while NYC was becoming the "apple in decay"**. As a young adult, I moved to the then rotting Big Apple because the gritty, decaying old city spoke to me. Don't mind the maggots.*** Over time, NYC cleaned itself up, gentrification forcing me out of neighborhoods I had moved to because they were cheap, decrepit and edgy. Mostly cheap. For a reason. As the general cleanup was going on, a lot of what I had moved there for was erased. And while I visit friends still down in NYC often, it isn't the same city it was when I left.

** Bonus points for identifying the tune that line is borrowed from WITHOUT googling it.
*** = Shattered, Rolling Stones

Mar 8, 2021 at 9:55 PM Post #72,867 of 148,545
it isn't the same city it was when I left.

It doesn't seem like that could possibly be a bad thing.

...and boy did I get your challenge questions wrong...

Mar 8, 2021 at 10:13 PM Post #72,869 of 148,545
"To keep this from being too political, there are good sides to both California and Texas."

What are the good sides to California?

I was last there in 2016, LA, Northridge area (to visit my dear sister, married to a semi-commie Limey film editor). LA was filthy, pot holes everywhere, tent citys on major streets, pan handlers everywhere. They did have some good weed.

I couldn't conceal carry there (no reciprocity with NC). I packed a nice knife (checked), and an everyday carry (also packed checked, I didn't want anything confiscated).

I can't conceive of a situation that would make me return to California. (I am open to offers.)
You shouldn’t judge California by a visit to skid row. It’s like judging Texas for Ted Cruz.

Mar 8, 2021 at 10:15 PM Post #72,870 of 148,545
Don't even get me started on 8-track.... One of my first real jobs was at a bicycle shop, graced with a Radio Shack Realistic 8-Track player housed in a fine Vinyl Walnut case, marred by cigarette burns. Collection of available tapes was very small; one of which was Elton John's Madman Across the Water. To this day, listening to Tiny Dancer, I still cringe when the song arrives at a track switch......

I knew my days with 8-Track were near the end when "Cold as Ice" off of Foreigner's debut album was split between tracks! 😡

Users who are viewing this thread

Back