Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 7, 2021 at 10:36 AM Post #72,826 of 148,996
Many people are crazy.
Magical thinking increases with socio-econcomic status -- see Steve Jobs, etc on alternative medicines, etc.
Best to be curious but critical.
Steve Job's magical thinking DIRECTLY lead to his death by curable cancer

Mar 7, 2021 at 10:50 AM Post #72,827 of 148,996
Elon Musk would do for digital audio what he wants to do to trucks...
10-4, good buddy. I'm onboard with anyone exploring technology that streamlines commercial ground transportation. Especially if the robo-trucks are programmed to not use the passing lane on a 2 lane road, blocking that lane for 10-15 minutes while passing another robo-truck just so they can lead the robo-truck convoy for a while. :rolling_eyes:

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2021 at 10:59 AM Post #72,828 of 148,996
As an example of what is happening, HSBC has announced that it will close 40% of all worldwide offices and Lloyds Banking Group will close 20% of its offices.
It is not just Banks who are looking to cut costs in this way.
Businesses that concentrate on cost-cutting rather than on product improvement are basically checking out from the future. Compare Schiit, who focus on ever better products economically made. Cost management is part of making an affordable and profitable product, not an end in itself.

Mar 7, 2021 at 11:06 AM Post #72,829 of 148,996
10-4, good buddy. I'm onboard with anyone exploring technology that streamlines commercial ground transportation. Especially if the robo-trucks are programmed to not use the passing lane on a 2 lane road, blocking that lane and taking 10-15 minutes while passing another robo-truck just so they can lead the robo-truck convoy for a while. :rolling_eyes:
That should be a ticket-able offence for human truck drivers, too.

Mar 7, 2021 at 11:12 AM Post #72,830 of 148,996
Businesses that concentrate on cost-cutting rather than on product improvement are basically checking out from the future. Compare Schiit, who focus on ever better products economically made. Cost management is part of making an affordable and profitable product, not an end in itself.
When you were typing this statement have you not considered that banks have surived for hundreds of years?

Mar 7, 2021 at 11:14 AM Post #72,831 of 148,996
There are job functions that can be done equally well remotely and many were remote for quite sometime prior to COVID. I think some companies that were hesitant to consider WFH were forced to and now see that some functions are done equally well, if not more effectively via remote. My wife is more productive and actually works more hours w/ less distractions from home as opposed to being in an office. Her employer and customers are the direct beneficiaries. There are some jobs that transfer well to WFH/Remote and others that really do not. Reducing a real estate footprint will definitely help the bottom-line, but it should not be at the expense of productivity and needed collaboration. It is up to organizations to figure it out and strike a balance. Some will view this as an opportunity to permanently shift positions to WFH possibly resulting in happier and more productive employees. Some will fully embrace a return to the office. Some who decide to try WFH will succeed and some will fail and likely revert back to full onsite. There's really no single 'right' answer.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2021 at 11:28 AM Post #72,832 of 148,996
You are probably right @earnmyturns
However, it looks likely that COVID will mean a permanent change to many employers' working practices.
Last year, the Institute of Directors (IOD) in UK, conducted a survey of around 1,000 employers about their policies for 'home working'.
This is a summary from BBC:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-54413214

As an example of what is happening, HSBC has announced that it will close 40% of all worldwide offices and Lloyds Banking Group will close 20% of its offices.
It is not just Banks who are looking to cut costs in this way.

A move to 'home working' won't be welcomed by all!
My employer is more than likely going to introduce a partial work from home system when life goes back to "normal". My understanding is anyone who wants to work from the office full time will be able to and everyone else will just have to come in every now and then to catch up as a team. No set schedule has been made for this as of yet.

I have mixed feelings about it. On the one hand it will save me huge amounts of money as a commuter ticket is ~£4000 and will mean shorter working day/more free time. On the other hand, I started a new job in UK lockdown 2 (November) and haven't met anyone so it would be nice to actually get to know my team better. I have to admit it has definitely hampered my induction working from home but now I am in the swing of things it doesn't seem to effect work too much. I can always talk to someone pretty quickly if I need anything.

Mar 7, 2021 at 11:36 AM Post #72,833 of 148,996
There are job functions that can be done equally well remotely and many were remote for quite sometime prior to COVID. I think some companies that were hesitant to consider WFH were forced to and now see that some functions are done equally well, if not more effectively via remote. My wife is more productive and actually works more hours w/ less distractions from home as opposed to being in an office. Her employer and customers are the direct beneficiaries. There are some jobs that transfer well to WFH/Remote and others that really do not. Reducing a real estate footprint will definitely help the bottom-line, but it should not be at the expense of productivity and needed collaboration. It is up to organizations to figure it out and strike a balance. Some will view this as an opportunity to permanently shift positions to WFH possibly resulting in happier and more productive employees. Some will fully embrace a return to the office. Some who decide to try WFH will succeed and some will fail and likely revert back to full onsite. There's really no single 'right' answer.
I worked my whole life mixing on-site, at-home, on-the-road, in-the-office and on-call.

Before I retired, I worked several years for VA companies while living in northern CA. I liked that best.

But not working for anyone also has certain advantages.

Mar 7, 2021 at 1:32 PM Post #72,834 of 148,996
10-4, good buddy. I'm onboard with anyone exploring technology that streamlines commercial ground transportation. Especially if the robo-trucks are programmed to not use the passing lane on a 2 lane road, blocking that lane and taking 10-15 minutes while passing another robo-truck just so they can lead the robo-truck convoy for a while. :rolling_eyes:

And it's flat where you live. On I-25 anywhere between Santa Fe, New Mexico and Casper, Wyoming, the standard practice is to begin passing at the bottom of a long upslope in the highway.

Mar 7, 2021 at 1:42 PM Post #72,835 of 148,996
I agree with you @earnmyturns :relaxed:
Unfortunately, there are many, many hugely profitable businesses, whose only concern is profit and if that means that employees become collateral damage, they really don't care.
Customers rank only marginally above staff in the pecking order for such companies. I have seen such corporate behaviour first hand.
I really like the way Schiit does business and, as far as possible, I try to avoid any dealings with companies who treat staff and customers with contempt.
Sometimes, for example with Utilities companies, it is simply not possible :angry:

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2021 at 2:08 PM Post #72,836 of 148,996
Unfortunately, there are many, many hugely profitable businesses, whose only concern is profit and if that means that employees become collateral damage, they really don't care.
Customers rank only marginally above staff in the pecking order for such companies. I have seen such corporate behaviour first hand.
I really like the way Schiit does business and, as far as possible, I try to avoid any dealings with companies who treat staff and customers with contempt.
Sometimes, for example with Utilities companies, it is simply not possible :angry:
Amen.

Mar 7, 2021 at 4:34 PM Post #72,838 of 148,996
I have just noticed on PS Audio’s website that ‘Octave’ is now listed as one of the company’s products.
It comprises hardware and software.
The software- ‘Octave Play’, appears to be PS Audio’s answer to Roon.
It is free to download and runs on any IOS or Android device.
The hardware is a digital source called ‘PerfectWave Octave Player’.
Looks like an interesting development....
https://www.psaudio.com/products/octave-music-player/
Edit: The products haven’t been launched yet.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back