Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 5, 2021 at 12:48 PM Post #72,767 of 149,185
So, you mean my speakers are not part of the 1% that are set up properly in an optimal room? Aw, shucks.
You can fix it if you choose. :)

Mar 5, 2021 at 1:15 PM Post #72,768 of 149,185
Thomas Dybdahl - One Day You'll Dance for Me, New York City

I ripped this album to FLAC and enjoying it on the Magnius/Modius stack. I discovered Thomas Dybdahl from streaming recommendations. I’m sure I’m late to the game but there is a lot of music out there! For those of you in Europe I’m sure there is greater awareness. I was also quite taken in by the speech in this track #2 by Norwegian philosopher Arne Næss about the quality of life (so I’ve read as I don’t know Norwegian, but my wife did work for one).

I hope you all are getting your required dose of Vitamin M (Music) today!

Thomas Dybdahl CD SRGordon 1500-3907.jpg

Mar 5, 2021 at 1:59 PM Post #72,769 of 149,185
I enjoyed your comment, but I don't understand why Square will send Ticketmaster to a Blockbuster like dust bin. Live Nation owns Ticketmaster . In terms of revenue they are about 250% larger than Square.
Ticketmaster is a middleman that can be eliminated. Imagine Tidal (Square) selling concert tickets directly and handling it exclusively for an artist. Also consider that Tidal knows what you listen to. That is just the beginning of what Square can do.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2021 at 2:02 PM Post #72,770 of 149,185
Thomas Dybdahl - One Day You'll Dance for Me, New York City

I ripped this album to FLAC and enjoying it on the Magnius/Modius stack. I discovered Thomas Dybdahl from streaming recommendations. I’m sure I’m late to the game but there is a lot of music out there! For those of you in Europe I’m sure there is greater awareness. I was also quite taken in by the speech in this track #2 by Norwegian philosopher Arne Næss about the quality of life (so I’ve read as I don’t know Norwegian, but my wife did work for one).

I hope you all are getting your required dose of Vitamin M (Music) today!

Thomas Dybdahl CD SRGordon 1500-3907.jpg

Nice!

Mar 5, 2021 at 2:07 PM Post #72,771 of 149,185
Mar 5, 2021 at 2:14 PM Post #72,772 of 149,185
Progress I suppose...

tried non-hat Ropieee -> Gumby -> Jot -> meze 99 (balanced all the way through) and no sign of hiss/scratchiness. Miss tubes and pure power, but smooth all the way through high volumes at both low/high gain. So perhaps @tincanear is right and the BNC was creating a ground loop, even when the signal was passing via Unison. And could be the Pi2AES power supply mebbe. More sleuthing to do tomorrow, everyone is asleep now so no more carrying Gumby up and down stairs :)

thanks for the advice!

Glad to hear that it seems to be isolated to not the gumby.

I know with my Raspberry Pi 3 I occasionally got some higher pitched noise when listening using a Modi Multibit. When I swapped from the basic power supply to a portable cellphone charger (a rechargeable batter pack that could put out 5V 2.5A DC) the issue disappeared. This is not to say it was the same issue as yours, but just to offer an anecdote.

I hope you are able to isolate the issue even more today.

Mar 5, 2021 at 3:24 PM Post #72,776 of 149,185
I gather I'm late to the party with these Chesky recordings, but for those who have not yet tasted one, be sure you do.
The Chesky sampler is amazing... (gave my copy away...)

My favorite track is still the dancers that start at the left front, approach and then cross to your right and then around behind you and then exit out the front right with a door slam...

Mar 5, 2021 at 4:19 PM Post #72,777 of 149,185
To keep this from being too political, there are good sides to both California and Texas.

The problem is, either through accident or otherwise, California has become "middle-class hostile." As in, it's nearly impossible to get established in life when a small, run-down "starter house" in the LA area is $600K, and it can be very painful to keep going when you factor in the cost of living for, like, everything.
AMEN, this is why I escaped CA the first chance I got... Buying a $500k + house on a single income and becoming "house poor" is not my idea of a fun stress free life. I do miss my friends, the activities etc... But being able to buy a house AND enjoy life was well worth it!

Mar 5, 2021 at 7:03 PM Post #72,778 of 149,185
Captain :flag_ca: Obvious, here. Apparently Loki + has different components than my current unit. :ksc75smile:
loki-mini-pcb-1920.jpg
... this is awesome. But,
loki mini plus pcb 1920.jpg
... this is awesomer. Me? I'm waiting for the ludicious-speed version (moar knobs).

BTW, today, in virtual school, I asked the attendance question, which super hero or antihero are you? One student replied, Captain America. I asked which one, early version or late version? His response, Steve Rogers' Version... who is WORTHY. Oh, and the girls who answered, Black Widow... I asked if they agree about her fate in Avengers Endgame... No, sir! No. No. No.

Mar 5, 2021 at 8:54 PM Post #72,779 of 149,185
Fortunately electronics are not like wine. Where they come from doesn't matter. All that matters is how they are designed and what components are used, not the earth's magnetic flux and alignment in relation to Jupiter in the precise location of assembly. Unless you believe in astrology, I suppose.
Unfortunately the steel in the transformer is. I doubt it matters once you get into the grain oriented electrical steels, but not all steel is the same quality.
@earnmyturns I have simply relayed what is being reported in the UK ; I am not expressing a personal opinion.
Some large institutions in the UK ( such as Banks) are on record as saying that a significant proportion of their workforces will never return to the offices.
Sadly it is not fiction.
Personally, I would hate to ‘work from home’ and never did so before I retired, despite being given the opportunity, as I also enjoyed the spontaneity and camaraderie of working with real colleagues and not via dreaded Zoom video conferencing!
I know my mother in pricing is never expected to go to the office again, their team doesn't need it. My father's and my positions however are 100% on site and can't be WFH for a significant fraction.

Mar 5, 2021 at 9:28 PM Post #72,780 of 149,185
I enjoyed your comment, but I don't understand why Square will send Ticketmaster to a Blockbuster like dust bin. Live Nation owns Ticketmaster . In terms of revenue they are about 250% larger than Square.
Have you noticed how small businesses, including small venues, artists selling merch outside shows, are going Square? It's a bit on hold due to COVID-19, but when live music comes back... Sure, big arena acts will stay with Live Nation -- for a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back