Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 26, 2021 at 11:00 AM Post #72,361 of 149,120
@W3WEB, can you provide more details about what differences you noticed when switching from your Bifrost multi-bit to an Yggdrasil GS? Do you use your Yggdrasil with head phones or a speaker system? Detail? Dynamics? Articulation? Liquid or analytical sound? Inquiring minds, you know.

I suspect each Schiit product is a gateway to the next Schiit product up the line...
I use the Yggy with speakers only - My 'stack' for that includes a sonos source, yggy GS, saga +, vidar, and Magnepan LRS. Those speakers have an incredible soundstage if i'm (and they) are in the right places in the room. In that zone, comparing the Bimby to the Yggy removed some of the harshness from my source - everything seems smoother, yet well defined. I can pick out instruments and voices that I couldn't perceive at all with the Sonos alone. What is slightly perceived with Bimby is much more out in the open with Yggy. The Bimby is great (and I still use with my headphone stack); but the Yggy is amazing.

I wish I could describe it better. Best I can do - I'm a Bee Gees fan, particularly their later work - and found their last few albums were very mushy. Lows were okay, Mids were everything else - and just mushy. I couln't listen to it on Sonos alone - it was just annoying. WIth Bimby, it became listenable and much less annoying. With Yggy, the same tracks are now down right enjoyable. Almost no mush - good defined lows, mids, and even some highs.

Feb 26, 2021 at 11:07 AM Post #72,362 of 149,120
Just remember to walk without rhythm and you won’t attract the worm. Of course that might be hard for all the music lovers on here. 😁

So when Schiit releases their new "Weirding Module", what will it do? Enquiring minds want to know...

Feb 26, 2021 at 11:35 AM Post #72,364 of 149,120
The terroir thing got me thinking on a more serious—well, more relevant—note: I run Magnepan 1.7i’s off a pair of Vidar monos; happy with the setup and my use case has never caused the Vidars to go into protection. However I’m on a path to adding DWM panels from Magnepan; these are mageneplanar woofer (not sub-woofer) panels that are supposed to be added in parallel to the speaker cable circuit that goes to the mains. I’ll see how that goes, but I know that this is going to present the Vidars with a 2ohm load so they are more likely to complain.

I’m prepared (at least mentally!) to have to go with a separate power amp for the DWMs, I can run it from the SE-outs on the Freya+. Where the terroir thing comes in is, will an amp from a different manufacturer (I was thinking about an Emotiva BasX-300) change the overall signature of my largely Schiit-based system—enough that one would notice?

Obviously one could purchase a third Vidar for the woofers, but that’s starting to feel like overkill.

My fallback in the interim is to go with the two Vidars each in stereo mode, one for the mains the other for the DWMs. This might even buy me some time to wait and see what Schiit comes out with in new power amps to augment the current Aegir and Vidar models...

Feb 26, 2021 at 11:52 AM Post #72,365 of 149,120
Thumpers were devices used in the movie Dune to get the giant Sandworms to the surface of the planet. Dune is nothing like Tremors!! Do yourself a favor and watch Dune. You are a Sci-Fi fan, so I know you'll love it!! :wink:
Nothing beats reading the book (first)!

Feb 26, 2021 at 12:14 PM Post #72,367 of 149,120
Now I'm tempted to read the book too to make sense out of the games' plots
I’ve re-read Azimov’s Foundation Trilogy a number of times—most recently the parallels between the arrival of “the mutant” and the political turmoil of the last four years in the US were just astounding —now I’m going to have to re-read Dune!

Feb 26, 2021 at 12:22 PM Post #72,368 of 149,120
Thats saying something, considering I disappoint you daily. I guess I need to spice my life up, in ways you approve of.

The best BBQ is Korean BBQ anyway.

the spice is oh so nice

Rensek mentioned spice twice! He knows all about Dune, he's just playing us!

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2021 at 12:26 PM Post #72,369 of 149,120
Feb 26, 2021 at 12:33 PM Post #72,370 of 149,120
The terroir thing got me thinking on a more serious—well, more relevant—note: I run Magnepan 1.7i’s off a pair of Vidar monos; happy with the setup and my use case has never caused the Vidars to go into protection. However I’m on a path to adding DWM panels from Magnepan; these are mageneplanar woofer (not sub-woofer) panels that are supposed to be added in parallel to the speaker cable circuit that goes to the mains. I’ll see how that goes, but I know that this is going to present the Vidars with a 2ohm load so they are more likely to complain.

I’m prepared (at least mentally!) to have to go with a separate power amp for the DWMs, I can run it from the SE-outs on the Freya+. Where the terroir thing comes in is, will an amp from a different manufacturer (I was thinking about an Emotiva BasX-300) change the overall signature of my largely Schiit-based system—enough that one would notice?

Obviously one could purchase a third Vidar for the woofers, but that’s starting to feel like overkill.

My fallback in the interim is to go with the two Vidars each in stereo mode, one for the mains the other for the DWMs. This might even buy me some time to wait and see what Schiit comes out with in new power amps to augment the current Aegir and Vidar models...

They cant be added in series eh? Bummer.

Feb 26, 2021 at 12:37 PM Post #72,371 of 149,120
Sorry I only like sci fi that has Patrick Stewart in it.....
The Dune by Lynch has Sir Patrick in it. Gurney Halleck role, IIRC.

Feb 26, 2021 at 12:52 PM Post #72,372 of 149,120
There he is! Oops, wrong movie......
PatrickStewart-1981Excalibur.jpg

Feb 26, 2021 at 1:05 PM Post #72,373 of 149,120
Yeah, you can upgrade a GS, just not at the time of order. If you want to spend the money to send it back to us afterwards, then that's up to you.
Yeah, I love my GS. Works great with Freya S, and I don't have any pro gear with low impedance inputs, so it was a good way for me to get one for less.
Of course it doesn't have Unison, and I'm not sure whether the GS could get that with a self-upgrade or does it have to be sent back?
Also, If I get a transport with Unison, I assume it would still work with the Gen5 USB, just not optimized in the same way as if both were Unison?

Feb 26, 2021 at 1:18 PM Post #72,374 of 149,120
I’ve re-read Azimov’s Foundation Trilogy a number of times—most recently the parallels between the arrival of “the mutant” and the political turmoil of the last four years in the US were just astounding —now I’m going to have to re-read Dune!
Looking forward to the Foundation TV series... and Moon Night!

Feb 26, 2021 at 1:23 PM Post #72,375 of 149,120

if the DWMs are added via a third Vidar in stereo mode (SE RCA input) the DWM output levels will be 6dB lower than the 1.7i's driven from the Vidars running in monoblock mode with the balanced XLR input.

try running with just two Vidars in stereo mode, via SE inputs, and each Vidar output "channel" (4 total) driving either an 1.7i or DWM.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back