Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 23, 2021 at 11:31 PM Post #72,226 of 149,079
I'm researching a Pi-based Roon endpoint for a Bifrost Multibit/Valhalla 2 headphone stack. I am assuming the use of a HAT to improve the quality of the signal. While I am aware of units like the Allo Digione Signature that should give out a clean SPDIF signal, I also realize that I could upgrade the Bifrost with a Unison board and get as good if not better quality of input signal handling via USB--thing is, do I still need a HAT to isolate a clean USB signal from the inherently noisy Pi board? If so, any recommendations?
Usb off the pi4 works really well. Why not try it and add a hat if you feel the need?

(usb off pi3 is poo)

Feb 24, 2021 at 12:08 AM Post #72,228 of 149,079
Feb 24, 2021 at 12:19 AM Post #72,229 of 149,079
I like The Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking, at least some of the tracks. I don't own Radio Chaos, but I like about half of Amused to Death a lot (especially the songs Jeff Beck plays). I have to agree with @Odin412 in that I noticed Roger Waters to be kind of a thematic one-trick pony after I'd heard The Final Cut. That got kind of dull.

I'm not a huge fan of Pink Floyd's early music, but I like their big hits: Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here, The Wall. I love the sound they achieved, and I like Gilmour's guitar playing. I like other songs as well, but song-by-song rather than album-by-album. Works is a good disc for me: I can have "One of These Days" without having to have the rest of Meddle, and "Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun" and "Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict" (longest song title ever?). I still have to put up with "Arnold Layne", though ("skip" button to the rescue). Actually, my kids and I used to play a version of "bucking bronco" while listening to "One of These Days". I'm not fit enough for that anymore (and they're too big for my creaking spine). :)

I still like David Gilmour's eponymous solo project, recommended to me in college- by that record store owner I partied with during finals week, but not that night. His latest, Rattle That Lock, I don't listen to as much.

Perhaps I should get a copy of Animals again. Maybe listening to it through a Bifrost MB would make it sound good.

First time I head Animals, well, part of it

Feb 24, 2021 at 1:29 AM Post #72,230 of 149,079
They don't care what you want. They want their artist's music to be louder than the other guy's music. That means no soft parts.

That's the saddest part of this; they don't seem to care for the customer but yet people still buy anyway!

Whenever I talk to people in person about music, and home theater, concerts, etc..... The MAIN thing they talk about is loudness. "Man my stereo gets so loud"...... "Man Def Lepperd was so loud, I loved it, they were so much better then their opening acts"

A majority of people consuming popular music want it loud, screaming loud.

They would, until they lose their hearing

Maybe this is also why people are so adverse to wearing hearing protection during concerts?

Feb 24, 2021 at 2:20 AM Post #72,231 of 149,079
I'm researching a Pi-based Roon endpoint for a Bifrost Multibit/Valhalla 2 headphone stack. I am assuming the use of a HAT to improve the quality of the signal. While I am aware of units like the Allo Digione Signature that should give out a clean SPDIF signal, I also realize that I could upgrade the Bifrost with a Unison board and get as good if not better quality of input signal handling via USB--thing is, do I still need a HAT to isolate a clean USB signal from the inherently noisy Pi board? If so, any recommendations?
Not if you use a Pi 4b board. with the 3’s, yes, you’ll need a HAT. (Edit: it might sound like poo... For the 3 b+ i still have, I’m using the Hifiberry Digi Pro Plus, very happy with it!)

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2021 at 2:23 AM Post #72,232 of 149,079
I'd start with bare RPi. Unison will filter any potential noise. I have Unison USB in Yggdrasil, feeding it from MacMini. I compared it to Allo DigiOne (SPDIF HAT) and to iPhone w/Apple CCK and found no weakness. Unison USB sound better to my ears than SPDIF input, thought for somebody else SPDIF may sound more fluid and a touch warmer. I prefer Unison USB details.

Feb 24, 2021 at 3:04 AM Post #72,233 of 149,079
I think MQA needs to die fast and if Spotify goes cd quality I'm ditching Tidal with a quickness.

I agree about MQA, but I’m not giving up on Audirvana and my cross feed plug-in. If Spotify will integrate with Audirvana the way Tidal does then yes, I would seriously consider it.

Feb 24, 2021 at 8:42 AM Post #72,234 of 149,079
Feb 24, 2021 at 2:52 PM Post #72,237 of 149,079
If it were not for the affect of drugs on Music, Disco might have started in the 60's and lasted 3 decades. :astonished:
One of the main driving forces behind disco was cocaine...

Feb 24, 2021 at 3:19 PM Post #72,238 of 149,079
Along with John Travolta and the Bee Gees.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back