Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 23, 2021 at 12:53 PM Post #72,196 of 149,160
Out of interest, what is it you don't like about Tidal?

I mean, I certainly am no fan of Jay Z's music but that can't be it :D AFAIK, they pay more per stream than most services out there, which is a nice bonus.
  • The owner.
  • Falsely claiming that MQA is a lossless format.
  • Marketing garbage on their website, such as this:
'HiFi audio is a superior sound but is still limited in its resolution—44.1 kHz /16 bit. TIDAL has partnered with MQA to deliver something substantially better: an authenticated and unbroken version (typically 96 kHz / 24 bit) with the highest possible resolution—as flawless as it sounded in the mastering suite. And exactly as the artist intended it to sound.'

It would be fair to say I'm not a fan!

I'm with Neil Young when it comes to TIDAL. This is what he said recently when he removed all of his music from their platform:

''TIDAL is calling their files of my songs Masters. But TIDAL’s MQA files are not my masters. I make my masters - not TIDAL. I made my masters the way I wanted them to sound. If TIDAL referred to their titles as TIDAL MASTERS, I would have no problem, but they don’t. They call them Masters. I had my music removed from that platform. They are not my masters.”.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2021 at 12:57 PM Post #72,198 of 149,160
Tidal sounded very weird when I tried it. I don't know if it's MQA itself or something Tidal does with it but I couldn't handle it for more than 3 days.

I always stream non-MQA versions when available, and even on MQA versions I always choose the option to stream CD quality. No idea whether that is related, but Tidal through Audirvana sound pretty good to me (alas, I have no Qbouz to compare it to.)

Feb 23, 2021 at 1:49 PM Post #72,201 of 149,160
Feb 23, 2021 at 1:51 PM Post #72,202 of 149,160
Spotify (also Apple and Amazon) have little incentive to integrate with Roon. Actually it runs against their business model. They want to control the user experience, track user action, push exclusives, and integrate with their larger ecosystems.

In any case, the number of Roon users is in the noise for Spotify. Roon doesn't disclose subscriber numbers, but in 2019 there was talk on the Roon forums that they had "over 100,000" subscribers. Let's be very generous and suppose that it is now as high as 500,000. That is about 0.4% of paid Spotify subscribers last quarter.
I was going to cry foul, but then I remembered "world-wide"...

Feb 23, 2021 at 1:54 PM Post #72,203 of 149,160
School? So that must have been where those other kids were during the week. I had to work every day in the tobacco fields. But I got promoted to the pig farm (in support of the BBQ industry) when I was 10, so I consider myself pretty lucky. :laughing:
Man, I hear a "grandpa Bcowen story" coming: "Kids, when I was your age, I didn't get to go to school. I had to work in the t'backy fields all day and half the night. Had to walk there, too, six miles out and seven miles home. In the snow. And don't even talk to me about shoes..."

Feb 23, 2021 at 2:22 PM Post #72,204 of 149,160
I do agree that SOME rap lyrics are problematic. However, its more complicated than that. Also, I would encourage you to consider your opinion that marijuana is a drug any different than alcohol. It is very important for it to be legal for people to be able to access it. Years ago I had to change my views on it when my wife became ill. I'm not one of those crazy people who think it cures everything however it can change the life of those who experience chronic pain.

Feb 23, 2021 at 2:49 PM Post #72,205 of 149,160
I do agree that SOME rap lyrics are problematic. However, its more complicated than that. Also, I would encourage you to consider your opinion that marijuana is a drug any different than alcohol. It is very important for it to be legal for people to be able to access it. Years ago I had to change my views on it when my wife became ill. I'm not one of those crazy people who think it cures everything however it can change the life of those who experience chronic pain.

Everything in moderation. I'm no more a fan of "hey lets buy a case of beer and get hammered tonight" than I am of "hey lets buy some marijuana and get baked tonight".

I'm genuinely happy that marijuana has eased your wife's chronic pain.

Feb 23, 2021 at 3:09 PM Post #72,206 of 149,160
Man, I hear a "grandpa Bcowen story" coming: "Kids, when I was your age, I didn't get to go to school. I had to work in the t'backy fields all day and half the night. Had to walk there, too, six miles out and seven miles home. In the snow. And don't even talk to me about shoes..."

We moved to NC from Kentucky, so weren't familiar with shoes anyway. It did, however, take some acclimation seeing people with all their teeth, so there's that. :sweat_smile:

Feb 23, 2021 at 4:40 PM Post #72,209 of 149,160
I guess the only downside (and a big one) is the fact that Spotify pays creators super crappy :/
Some other services pay a slightly higher rate than Spotify, but they are also still extremely low. The reality is that all of the streaming services are losing money and it's not like they have extra money to distribute to artists. In the music industry, it has always been the record labels that hold the power and money.

Feb 23, 2021 at 5:14 PM Post #72,210 of 149,160
I could not have said it better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back