Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 23, 2021 at 9:49 AM Post #72,181 of 149,221
Ive been in the Spotify Beta program for a couple of years, and sadly, I haven't been selected to test their lossless stuff yet. 😭
How did you get into it?

Feb 23, 2021 at 10:22 AM Post #72,184 of 149,221
Spotify's desktop app on Windows does. Well, maybe not Roon-like integration but it does allow you to include local libraries in playback.
As far as I know Spotify will only playback MP3 from local libraries. No FLAC, AAC, OGG, M4A, etc.

Feb 23, 2021 at 10:36 AM Post #72,185 of 149,221
As far as I know Spotify will only playback MP3 from local libraries. No FLAC, AAC, OGG, M4A, etc.

Well, that'd just require a new switch, wouldn't it? :gs1000smile:

spotify switch.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2021 at 10:42 AM Post #72,186 of 149,221
Any music control interface that does not fully integrate all of my local library is a non-starter for me. This is why I love Roon - it's simply the best I have tried at this, plus it seamlessly integrates the one streaming service I pay for (Qobuz) but I only use Qobuz as a source for new discovery when I'm listening to Roon Radio. Relying on Internet streaming as the sole source for music is not for me.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2021 at 11:51 AM Post #72,187 of 149,221

You are correct - I did not realize that.

Also Spotify's "integration" from local libraries is extremely basic - you just get a listing of your library. They will show up in a search. but I don't see anything to indicate that they are local files vs. playing from Spotify

Feb 23, 2021 at 12:02 PM Post #72,188 of 149,221
Local FLAC, etc., file playback is on their radar according to posts in their forum.

Feb 23, 2021 at 12:28 PM Post #72,189 of 149,221
Spotify’s recommendation algo is very very good. Ive used Tidal recommendations and it always brings me to older music.

Feb 23, 2021 at 12:39 PM Post #72,190 of 149,221
Like Schiit. Or Slim Devices.

I was flabbergasted when Sean Adams sold his baby to Logitech. But it gave me the realization that everyone has his/her price. I don't know who Roon's investors are, but I do know they have theirs, too.
@Balthazar B. I was really disappointed when Sean Adams sold Slim Devices to Logitech.
Logitech probably paid a lot of money for the business, but a company known for low-value computer peripherals was never going to be committed to audio, especially the more expensive products like the 'Transporter'.
I don't really understand why Logitech bought the business, as it wasn't long before the 'Transporter' was discontinued, and eventually all of the streaming products were also scrapped.

Sean was a genuine pioneer in the development of streaming digital audio and fortunately there is still a loyal band of supporters who continue to develop and enhance the open source software, now known as LMS. It still gives me all I need , with a Qobuz plug-in.

Personally, I don't 'need' Roon, so if they do sell out, it will not affect me at all :beyersmile:

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2021 at 12:40 PM Post #72,191 of 149,221
TBH if Spotify prices this right, I'd be able to cancel both Tidal, Qobuz and Roon. The only reason I have Roon is because having my own ripped CDs and because the UI of both Tidal and Quboz leaves much to desire. And the reason for having both Qobuz and Tidal is because the catalog of both services also leaves much to desire so I'm required to have both. Since Spotify has support for my own CDs, plus the catalog is huge and has basically all the music that I listen to. And UI isn't half bad either. And Spotify Connect would let me not having to buy a separate device for having Roon Core. It's just way too much to gain by this.

I guess the only downside (and a big one) is the fact that Spotify pays creators super crappy :/

Spotify pays the "publishers" (Sony, Universal, EMI, etc.) crappy - the publishers have been ripping off the artists since the beginning of recorded music....

Feb 23, 2021 at 12:46 PM Post #72,192 of 149,221
Since we're playing the "what if" game:

If Spotify or Amazon acquires Roon I'll keep my Qobuz account and no change for me, unless Qobuz gets the shaft which leaves-
If Spotify acquires Roon and makes Spotify the exclusive streaming partner then I'm Roon+Spotify.
If Amazon acquires Roon and makes Amazon the exclusive streaming partner then I'm Roon+Amazon.
If Tidal acquires Roon and makes Tidal the exclusive streaming partner then I'll go with Roon for local media and Spotify for streaming. No RGB bucks going to Tidal.

Anyone else want to add their "what if"?

I am not currently a Roon customer, so the ownership of the business is of little concern to me.
However, if Amazon acquires Roon, that will guarantee that I never become a Roon customer in the future, as I simply don't do business with Amazon, full stop!
Similar story with TIDAL. They won't get a penny from me.
If Amazon acquires Qobuz, I'll cancel my subscription and just stop streaming. No great hardship, as my ripped CD collection is still growing.

Feb 23, 2021 at 12:50 PM Post #72,194 of 149,221

Users who are viewing this thread

Back