Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 15, 2021 at 4:07 PM Post #71,776 of 149,111
I have a sauna in the California house (yeah, dry sauna, but whatever). I thought about getting one here...then I remembered that it's a sauna outside about 6 months out of the year.

Things are getting better: power is back on. For now.
One of the few things I don't miss about living in TX...

Feb 15, 2021 at 4:14 PM Post #71,779 of 149,111
One of the few things I don't miss about living in TX...

That and the tree roaches, I'll bet. A friend of mine who relocated to Austin nearly got served with divorce papers after some of the damn 2 inch bugs dropped into his wife's hair.

Wait, please don't tell me you barbecued roach brisket!

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2021 at 4:19 PM Post #71,783 of 149,111
Feb 15, 2021 at 4:33 PM Post #71,786 of 149,111
Spent 20+ years in northern Vermont on 10 Acres, built my own house, 800 ft long driveway to be plowed most every day...oh gosh i miss this!!
LOL

In Raleigh NC and like snow in "pictures!!"...

Alex
I can relate. I'm on 12 acres in the middle of the woods on the side of a hill. ~700 ft of straight driveway with a slight incline to get to the shared part which twists and turns as you lose 100ft of elevation across 225ft of road. All dirt. The last twist ends at the 2 lane paved state road where you get to watch for tourist traffic coming up to ski. I know that if I can make it out of the driveway and onto the road, I can make it to work. Driving in "wintery mix" weather reinforces your understanding of physics in a rather visceral way.

I've learned to make the best of winter. Kind of have to, it lasts for 6 months. Fortunately I love to ski.

Feb 15, 2021 at 4:44 PM Post #71,787 of 149,111
That and the tree roaches, I'll bet. A friend of mine who relocated to Austin nearly got served with divorce papers after some of the damn 2 inch bugs dropped into his wife's hair.

Wait, please don't tell me you barbecued roach brisket!
Hmmm, I lived in the Dallas area. I don't remember having to deal with tree roaches. Probably my least favorite thing about living there was when the lakes would "flip" and the water would stink and taste awful, yet they said there was nothing wrong with it... That was when I started buying bottled (although this was pre-mainstream bottled water that cost more per gallon than gasoline) so you could only get it in gallon or 5 gallon containers.

Feb 15, 2021 at 5:10 PM Post #71,788 of 149,111
Hey, when we lived in Phoenix, my wife would reach for a sweater when it got below 85F...

Yeah...My Mom was the same way when they 'retired' to AZ so Dad could teach at ASU. Within a year, she was doing the same thing. Evening walks, she'd wear a sweater. Heat must have thinned her Northern blood out!

Actually, pretty sure their brains overcooked. Proof of this was my Dad's refusal to give up tennis in the summer. When he finished, he looked like he'd jumped in a pool with his clothes on; woulda been the smarter play for sure :wink:

Next thing I know, I started hearing

1613425050738.png

So...made the mistake of driving to Arizona from Colorado one 4th of July (btw summer's truly awesome in CO) .

Remember going to the mall and getting ice cream on the way out; freakin tennis shoes melted/stuck to the parking lot; couldn't eat an ice cream cone fast enough on the way back to the car; get in the car, grab the seatbelt buckle -- instant 3rd degree burns

Should've known the minute I saw lava rocks in the front yards!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back