Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 14, 2021 at 4:38 PM Post #71,716 of 148,574
I am not a Roon customer, but would probably fall into the 'old school' category of audiophiles, being a bit of a technophobe.
It is clear that many forum members on this thread have serious IT knowledge, but despite this, some have still experienced technical glitches with the latest version of Roon
I know that I would have been in real trouble, as me and software just don't get on.
Roon has been solid for me including the latest update, but I'm not a power user with large library. I've had more trouble with the desktop Qobuz app.

To get yourself into real trouble, try a Raspberry Pi streamer :confused:

Feb 14, 2021 at 4:39 PM Post #71,717 of 148,574
Oh, wow, you have a Manley headphone amp! How do you like it? How does it compare to the Schiit stuff?
The Manley is very special. It’s the best amp I have ever heard (for my preference). You could wire up a dog turd to it and it would sound good. Incredibly versatile as well. I can’t really compare it with the schiit gear. Both do their own thing. I enjoy both. If I want ooey gooey tubes but with clarity and detail, Manley. But it has adjustable feedback and topology so you can get so many flavors. It’s hard to compare. Just got the Jot 2 as well. I will say that I’m enjoying the Jot the whole weekend and haven’t turned on the tubes. Might just be honeymoon phase. Dunno. But the Jot2 is also very special. It punches pretty far above it’s weight and it scales well. I have it in here with some upper decker gear and it’s blowing me away.

Feb 14, 2021 at 6:22 PM Post #71,718 of 148,574
Listening is a great way to make a decision too.
I tried Roon vs the (almost identical) app that came with my media transport.
The latter just sounded better and did all the rest work just as well.
I will be screwed big time if I ever change transports, which has zero chance of ever happening.
Like all of my hardware I rely solely on gifts or barter deals. I couldn't afford the Roon fees so that was a clear bias there.

Which software is that?

Feb 14, 2021 at 6:30 PM Post #71,719 of 148,574
Roon has been solid for me including the latest update, but I'm not a power user with large library. I've had more trouble with the desktop Qobuz app.

To get yourself into real trouble, try a Raspberry Pi streamer :confused:
I know I'm tempting fate here.........

But, I have 7 or RPis as streamer end points and they all work very well. No real issues at all.

Stand back and waits..........

Feb 14, 2021 at 6:31 PM Post #71,720 of 148,574
I know I'm tempting fate here.........

But, I have 7 or RPis as streamer end points and they all work very well. No real issues at all.

Stand back and waits..........
Yeah, I have 2 basic Flirc-cased and 1 Pi2AES, and they are more stable than my sonos endpoints.

Feb 14, 2021 at 7:06 PM Post #71,721 of 148,574
I can now stream again after making no apparent changes (other than rebooting my router - even though internet was working).
Roon seems to dig deeper into the network stack than most other products we use at home, and that triggers bugs in routers, switches, and endpoints that are not noticeable with less demanding network applications. One notorious example are the interactions between some versions of the Android network stack and how network gear handles multicast and IGMP handling. To make things worse, it looks like consumer networking gear has become increasingly flaky with respect less used networking manoevers such as multicast discovery as more specialized, narrower alternatives such as Zeroconf/mDNS have been adopted by key players like Apple and Google. I've bugged Roon folks gently about moving to a more widely used device/service discovery method than their custom multicast one, it would save them a lot of support trouble and upset users in the long run even though it would be a major development project as they'd have to rip out all their old discovery machinery.

It's not a total coincidence that I moved to semi-pro Ubiquiti/UniFi network gear as I started to depend on Roon. But that has its own hardware and knowledge costs.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2021 at 7:13 PM Post #71,722 of 148,574
Roon seems to dig deeper into the network stack than most other products we use at home, and that triggers bugs in routers, switches, and endpoints that are not noticeable with less demanding network applications. One notorious example are the interactions between some versions of the Android network stack and how network gear handles multicast and IGMP handling. To make things worse, it looks like consumer networking gear has become increasingly flaky with respect less used networking manoevers such as multicast discovery as more specialized, narrower alternatives such as Zeroconf/mDNS have been adopted by key players like Apple and Google. I've bugged Roon folks gently about moving to a more widely used device/service discovery method than their custom multicast one, it would save them a lot of support trouble and upset users in the long run even though it would be a major development project as they'd have to rip out all their old discovery machinery.

It's not a total coincidence that I moved to semi-pro Ubiquiti/UniFi network gear as I started to depend on Roon. But that has its own hardware and knowledge costs.
Ditto. Amazing.

Feb 14, 2021 at 7:27 PM Post #71,723 of 148,574
We got a house bunny in August. Other than losing my audio room he has been a great addition to the family.

We are all allergic to cats and dogs. One thing is our guy doesn't like to be held, but you can pet him for long periods.
Yeah, our kids wanted bunnies. I was against it for all the reasons parents are against kids getting pets: we'll clean up after them (no, you won't), we'll play with them every day (no, you won't), we'll feed them and give them water (no, you won't). To my surprise, they've been very good pets. They're not needy like dogs, not stand-offish like cats, They are always ready to be pet and they are fun to watch when we turn them loose in the yard.

Feb 14, 2021 at 7:46 PM Post #71,724 of 148,574
Yeah, our kids wanted bunnies. I was against it for all the reasons parents are against kids getting pets: we'll clean up after them (no, you won't), we'll play with them every day (no, you won't), we'll feed them and give them water (no, you won't). To my surprise, they've been very good pets. They're not needy like dogs, not stand-offish like cats, They are always ready to be pet and they are fun to watch when we turn them loose in the yard.

I wanted to get rabbits but don't they constantly chew anything, including wires & furniture as well as leave poop everywhere? Or did someone tell me lies and I won't have to worry about rabbit schit near my Schiit?

Feb 14, 2021 at 7:47 PM Post #71,725 of 148,574
Yeaaaahhhh.... About that vinyl. Fortunately I don't own a turntable, so my wallet is safe. For the moment anyway.

I do have the CD. And enjoy it very much, it's a great live recording. A really nice mix of his Floyd work and his solo career. Would have loved to have seen that show live.

@AudioGal I have the CD too- it was a nice present, many years ago.
I really like the version of 'Fat Old Sun' , originally on the Floyd album Atom Heart Mother

Feb 14, 2021 at 8:40 PM Post #71,726 of 148,574
I wanted to get rabbits but don't they constantly chew anything, including wires & furniture as well as leave poop everywhere? Or did someone tell me lies and I won't have to worry about rabbit schit near my Schiit?
As they say in the classifieds: PM sent.

Feb 14, 2021 at 9:04 PM Post #71,727 of 148,574
My sister had several rabbits when she was in college. She had trained them, they would come when called by name. She'd let them loose in the yard, they'd bounce around happy as can be. The neighbors had a rather unpleasant cat which made the mistake of trying to go after one of the rabbits. That rabbit all but destroyed the cat. That cat NEVER set foot in our yard again. Oh, and if you hear one growl, back off. Back way off. They growl when they're pissed and about to attack.

Feb 14, 2021 at 9:37 PM Post #71,728 of 148,574
I caught that tour at Madison Square Garden that summer. A week after the Floyd we were back at the Garden to enjoy Emerson, Lake and Palmer (with full orchestra), and some weeks later for Yes. Prog Summer '77.
I saw ELP closer to home (same summer), in the Greensboro (NC) Coliseum (where the ACC tournament finals used to be played). I recall the band emerging from a stage lift. Keith Emerson, on his white baby grand (or was it white keyboards?), was mounted on dual circular tubular tracks. As he started playing, he and his piano started rotating, vertically.

It's way cooler in my mind, from 44 years ago.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2021 at 9:50 PM Post #71,729 of 148,574
@AudioGal I have the CD too- it was a nice present, many years ago.
I really like the version of 'Fat Old Sun' , originally on the Floyd album Atom Heart Mother
I LOVE Gilmour's rendition of 'Fat Old Sun' on that disk. I can picture the scene he's singing about.

Feb 14, 2021 at 10:00 PM Post #71,730 of 148,574
My sister had several rabbits when she was in college. She had trained them, they would come when called by name. She'd let them loose in the yard, they'd bounce around happy as can be. The neighbors had a rather unpleasant cat which made the mistake of trying to go after one of the rabbits. That rabbit all but destroyed the cat. That cat NEVER set foot in our yard again. Oh, and if you hear one growl, back off. Back way off. They growl when they're pissed and about to attack.

I’m just quoting this because it’s hilarious:dt880smile::dt880smile::dt880smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back