Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 24, 2021 at 4:49 PM Post #70,681 of 145,769
No, on the contrary. Roon with music files on a NAS is way less responsive. My approach is to have music files on an SSD in the Roon core, and mirror them on a NAS for redundancy/backup.

I'm not sure what your idea of unresponsive is. On my system, I find that streaming (Qobuz) is sluggish to start, but local library is fine.

Jan 24, 2021 at 4:56 PM Post #70,682 of 145,769
I'm not sure what your idea of unresponsive is. On my system, I find that streaming (Qobuz) is sluggish to start, but local library is fine.
Just comparing Roon core with SSD with same core with a Synology NAS.

Jan 24, 2021 at 5:18 PM Post #70,683 of 145,769
I recommend Syncthing for those who are confident enough to tinker with system configurations. I have it running on several Linux servers and a Synology NAS in two different locations. I carry one fanless Roon server between the two locations, and everything else is kept in sync with it on both locations.
I might check that out, thanks.
I currently use SyncToy from MS, which might be an effective simple option for some as well.

Jan 24, 2021 at 7:29 PM Post #70,685 of 145,769
I have a question for those here who are smarter than me...

I currently have Yggy—->Freya—->Mono Vidars. I just got a Mjolnir 2. What is the best way to move the MJ2 into the chain? Should I incorporate it separately via SE from the Yggy or fit it in front or back of the Freya with balanced?
Interesting question!! I would think and XLR "Y" cable into both the Freya and Mjonir would be best approach - but I'd ask Schiit support as well....

Jan 24, 2021 at 7:54 PM Post #70,686 of 145,769
I’m slowly putting together a listening room, which ideally I’d like to power with some Schiit.

The speakers that are perfect for my setup are a bit quiet (85db, 6ohm, 100W), and I’m wondering what Schiit would work.

I assume Vidar in mono or stereo is obviously fine, although I do wonder if having that much extra power in mono means I would only ever be able to use a tiny fraction of the volume knob.

And I assume stereo Aegir is underpowered. But I’m happy to be educated to the contrary.

What about Ragnarok and mono Aegirs? They wouldn’t have massive headroom, but lots of people seem to think that’s overrated. (Though fewer than those who say there’s no such thing as overpowered.)

So far I think my leading amp contender is the Monolith 2 channel. I’m hoping Schiit’s promised 2021 amp gives me more to think about.

Jan 24, 2021 at 8:46 PM Post #70,687 of 145,769
This is among the comments that has made me feel the most sad ever on an audio forum. Appreciation for good audio is dying... but, I suppose, if they are happy, then... let it die.
I'm curious. Do you find your phone to be a great camera? Me, it's adequate. For quality, I pull out the "big guns".

Whatever your answer, convenience trumps quality for many (most) people. Me, I have ~$30,000 (original purchase price) in photo equipment, probably worth $1.75 now.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2021 at 8:56 PM Post #70,688 of 145,769
Eccentrics. People for whom the best of everything, or more singular, is sought and appreciated, is unlikely to ever exceed 5-10% of the population.

Is a Corvette C

I'm curious. Do you find your phone to be a great camera? Me, it's adequate. For quality, I pull out the "big guns".

Whatever your answer, convenience trumps quality for many (most) people. Me, I have ~$30,000 (original purchase price) in photo equipment, probably worth $1.75 now.

The phone qua camera is an excellent counterpoint. Because, like modern audio, it’s not that bad!

Even when I listen to low bitrate mp3, it sounds much, much better than the cassette tapes that taught me to love rock and roll. And I can take basically my whole collection with me *in my pocket*!

The fact that we all have developed a subspecies of OCD shouldn’t blind us to the reality that for most people, having music that’s “good enough” and more available than running water is a tremendous boon to their lives. WE are the weird ones.

Jan 24, 2021 at 9:10 PM Post #70,689 of 145,769
Eccentrics. People for whom the best of everything, or more singular, is sought and appreciated, is unlikely to ever exceed 5-10% of the population.

Is a Corvette C

The phone qua camera is an excellent counterpoint. Because, like modern audio, it’s not that bad!

Even when I listen to low bitrate mp3, it sounds much, much better than the cassette tapes that taught me to love rock and roll. And I can take basically my whole collection with me *in my pocket*!

The fact that we all have developed a subspecies of OCD shouldn’t blind us to the reality that for most people, having music that’s “good enough” and more available than running water is a tremendous boon to their lives.

I know my phone covers the vast majority of what I need it for, but there have been times (not often enough to go get a dedicated camera yet) when I wanted/realized it was inadequate for what I am after. Same thing with audio, for years it was just straight from the computer/TV speakers esp. for shows, but we had external speakers for movies. I know my parent's after they moved from a house that had built in speakers didn't bother recreating it and still used a non-HDMI capable receiver with no-name 90s indoor/outdoor speakers ("3-way" with a 2 1/2" diameter woofer) and complained about sound quality and how much of a pain it was to use. About 5 years ago I went through over the course of a year and gifted a simple set - entry end no-frill receiver, on-sale Klipsch bookshelves for the fronts with a matched center, and a 10" ?BIC? (or similar quality) sub, and the 90s speakers became the rears. They a) thought it was overkill and b) use it all the time as it streamlined the setup. It clipped hard with Rocketman but sounded great.

WE are the weird ones.

I know I am beyond a doubt.

Jan 24, 2021 at 9:26 PM Post #70,690 of 145,769
I’m slowly putting together a listening room, which ideally I’d like to power with some Schiit.

The speakers that are perfect for my setup are a bit quiet (85db, 6ohm, 100W), and I’m wondering what Schiit would work.

I assume Vidar in mono or stereo is obviously fine, although I do wonder if having that much extra power in mono means I would only ever be able to use a tiny fraction of the volume knob.

And I assume stereo Aegir is underpowered. But I’m happy to be educated to the contrary.

What about Ragnarok and mono Aegirs? They wouldn’t have massive headroom, but lots of people seem to think that’s overrated. (Though fewer than those who say there’s no such thing as overpowered.)

So far I think my leading amp contender is the Monolith 2 channel. I’m hoping Schiit’s promised 2021 amp gives me more to think about.
Curious, which speakers? I'm running a pair of Mono Vidars into Apogee Duetta Sigs - very happy, a LOT of headroom. That being said, the Apogees are true dipoles - which complicates power input vs: perceived volume. Honestly there is no downside to a single Vidar assuming you are not yet wed to balanced or unbalanced signal path; if it's overkill in your situation, trade it in for an Aegir...

Jan 24, 2021 at 9:37 PM Post #70,691 of 145,769
Curious, which speakers? I'm running a pair of Mono Vidars into Apogee Duetta Sigs - very happy, a LOT of headroom. That being said, the Apogees are true dipoles - which complicates power input vs: perceived volume. Honestly there is no downside to a single Vidar assuming you are not yet wed to balanced or unbalanced signal path; if it's overkill in your situation, trade it in for an Aegir...

Oops. I did forget to mention that I do have concerns about EMI. There will be a non-trivial amount of electronic gear in the area, so differential designs get bonus points. But I would be a fool to rule Vidar out.

The speakers are—or will be, soon enough—Philharmonic BMRs (the ones made by Salk). I needed a size that would permit me to mount it such that I could easily alter the position to switch between monitoring at my turntables and listening at the sofa. And I needed the bass extension. The price of getting both is they’re not easy to drive.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2021 at 9:39 PM Post #70,692 of 145,769
The fact that we all have developed a subspecies of OCD shouldn’t blind us to the reality that for most people, having music that’s “good enough” and more available than running water is a tremendous boon to their lives. WE are the weird ones.
Life trajectories have a lot to do with it. When I was in college I wasn't wealthy but I had more disposable income than most college kids in Portugal then because I had a part-time coding job. I could buy lots of records and go to lots of concerts, so I fell into hi-fi, including building amps and speakers from kit (Wharfedale). This kept up until we had our first kid, budget got tighter, and free evenings for concerts very rare. My main music source in 2000 was an iPod with earbuds that I'd plug with RCA into a so-so amp and speakers in a cluttered room. Then kids grew and left home, and together with other changes, we were able to start going to a lot of live music, and good sound at home became more important and possible financially.

Jan 24, 2021 at 10:21 PM Post #70,693 of 145,769

power requirement depends on speaker efficiency and also distance to the listener, among other factors.

Based on the Jot2 technical descriptions of Continuity S, I would think that Jason is working on a power amp using this newer technology (think a few months or more to a usable production design). presumably would be higher output power rating than Aegir.

for current production models, either a single Vidar, or dual Aegirs in mono mode (but more $$$) should be adequate for those speakers.

Jan 24, 2021 at 10:38 PM Post #70,694 of 145,769
power requirement depends on speaker efficiency and also distance to the listener, among other factors.

Based on the Jot2 technical descriptions of Continuity S, I would think that Jason is working on a power amp using this newer technology (think a few months or more to a usable production design). presumably would be higher output power rating than Aegir.

for current production models, either a single Vidar, or dual Aegirs in mono mode (but more $$$) should be adequate for those speakers.

That’s what I’m thinking. I have a class D power amp for pro audio that should tide me over a little while.

Jan 24, 2021 at 10:53 PM Post #70,695 of 145,769
Shuffle is absolutely brain dead on Roon. It doesn't shuffle the whole pile and has a tendency to not be random. The same stuff plays in the same (or similar) order each time.
"Random" isn't great with either my Astell&Kern DAPs or MediaCenter. They, too, seem to get into "grooves" and play the same songs over and over. My A&K firmware does not keep track of what reackes have been played. I can; however, set up MediaCenter to do so. That prevents it from repeating itself.

For MC27, jRiver added a tag: "Date Last Synced". So now I add that tag to most of my "smart lists" (play lists which are basically data base queries rather than static lists of tracks). My smart lists are set up to pick tracks based on, for example, genre/ rating/ last played/ last synced. The query isn't supposed to add a track played or synced in the last thirty days.

Some Roon fun

green2.jpg
I don't have Roon and that song is still fun...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back