Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 13, 2021 at 8:31 PM Post #70,186 of 148,518
What's wrong with technical questions?

I asked him about the Chord stuff, steep filters, tube DACs, future digital tech, yggy revisions, dither, algorithms, math's, improving the megacomboburrito filter, etc.

I like to hear more about Mike's approach to audio and his philosophy behind it, why he designs stuff the way that he does and why these are better than other ways of doing it.

Oh I did ask him about his favorite album and two-channel rig.

Next time I'll ask him what he ate for breakfast.

Jan 13, 2021 at 9:07 PM Post #70,187 of 148,518
I went to a show a couple of years ago at Royal Farms Arena in Baltimore. It’s a basketball-sized arena, so fairly large.

I was curious what Royal Farms was since they weren’t familiar. Apparently their claim to fame is having the best gas station fried chicken. 😶

https://www.foodandwine.com/travel/restaurants/best-gas-station-foods

I’m willing to try that, but I still haven’t run across a franchise.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2021 at 10:01 PM Post #70,188 of 148,518
We're now in our 3rd Lockdown here in UK @Derrick Swart!
I'm interested in buying both an 'Urd' and a 'Lokiest' for some further retail and audio therapy.:beyersmile:
It will be midnight here at 4pm PST, but I'll be there, with a bottle of Highland Park to watch Mike, the brilliant digital audio guru, who is always entertaining.
Welcome back Mike! :beerchug:
Which particular Highland Park do you enjoy? I have grown to like the Aberfeldy, but I think I've been spoiled by the smoothness of the Aberlour 16, so I find the 12 yr a bit rough. Too bad the Aberfeldy comes with some kind of weird, semi-exponential pricing curve...

Highland Park is the next distillery on my list for a virtual tour.

Jan 13, 2021 at 10:03 PM Post #70,189 of 148,518
Another excellent chapter on one of the many differences between "having a job" and "running a business." Nice read. I miss/don't miss that sort of intensity.
I kind of miss having the enthusiasm for my job which made being at work on Sunday (or midnight on Wednesday helping operators fix a problem) a good use of my time. I think I need a second start...

Jan 13, 2021 at 10:14 PM Post #70,190 of 148,518
But dude, we still haven't figured who has the best BBQ.
Uh, yeah, we have. The only hold-out is @bcowen and I've given up on him as a lost cause on this topic. Maybe others, his credibility is shot.

Jan 13, 2021 at 10:15 PM Post #70,191 of 148,518
That ship sailed long ago. California BBQ tri-tip, on the beach, in July, with a Gordon Biersch or three. No contest.

:L3000:
That's the setting, not the barbeque.

Jan 13, 2021 at 10:20 PM Post #70,192 of 148,518
FU. You would not enjoy good BBQ then. You must have gotten it from some chain that does not cook with wood.
NC barbeque is cooked with wood, it's just included as an ingredient in the sauce.

Jan 13, 2021 at 10:34 PM Post #70,193 of 148,518
  • I had to tell one of our guys, who was on the edge of a full-on panic attack, that in the words of one very wise man, “there are no emergencies in audio,” and, even if it meant we slipped deeper into backorder, it was totally fine to go home.
One of my previous bosses was pretty driven, could be intense, and sometimes had to reel himself in. He told us once he has to remind himself that whatever was going wrong would turn out OK, nobody was going to die. That had an extra bite of poignancy coming from him: he was an officer "on the ground" in Vietnam.

Alex is moving to Corpus as of Thursday—that is, tomorrow. If our timeline holds, we should be making Magni and Modi there by late February. Maybe. We’ll see. There’s still lots to do.

Personal request: first product off the Corpus Christi line: Modi MB for "local delivery"...
  • I had to tell one of our guys, who was on the edge of a full-on panic attack, that in the words of one very wise man, “there are no emergencies in audio,” and, even if it meant we slipped deeper into backorder, it was totally fine to go home.
One of my previous bosses was pretty driven, could be intense, and sometimes had to reel himself in. He told us once he has to remind himself that whatever was going wrong would turn out OK, nobody was going to die. That had an extra bite of poignancy coming from him: he was an officer "on the ground" in Vietnam.

Alex is moving to Corpus as of Thursday—that is, tomorrow. If our timeline holds, we should be making Magni and Modi there by late February. Maybe. We’ll see. There’s still lots to do.

Personal request: first product off the Corpus Christi line: Modi MB for "local delivery"...

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2021 at 10:37 PM Post #70,194 of 148,518
I went to a show a couple of years ago at Royal Farms Arena in Baltimore. It’s a basketball-sized arena, so fairly large.

I was curious what Royal Farms was since they weren’t familiar. Apparently their claim to fame is having the best gas station fried chicken. 😶

https://www.foodandwine.com/travel/restaurants/best-gas-station-foods

I’m willing to try that, but I still haven’t run across a franchise.
There’s one in Ashburn, next to the Lidl. Make sure you get it freshly fried as I’ve found it doesn’t age well.

Jan 13, 2021 at 11:01 PM Post #70,196 of 148,518
Uh, yeah, we have. The only hold-out is @bcowen and I've given up on him as a lost cause on this topic. Maybe others, his credibility is shot.

Um, I'm the only vocal hold-out. The other 2,289 "guests" are all NC BBQ fanatics, just too polite to say you're wrong publicly. :smile:

So now let's talk tubes versus transistors... :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Jan 13, 2021 at 11:54 PM Post #70,198 of 148,518
That ship sailed long ago. California BBQ tri-tip, on the beach, in July, with a Gordon Biersch or three. No contest.

:L3000:
Back in the late 70’s, tri-tip was slowly crawling its way out of Santa Maria. In the 80’s, available in most of SoCal, and moving outward. Tried hard whilst working in the ?uK, to get a butcher (retail) to cut it, they all said wasn’t possible, the way their primals were shipped. @Ableza, can u buy in AZ?

Jan 14, 2021 at 12:00 AM Post #70,199 of 148,518
Which particular Highland Park do you enjoy? I have grown to like the Aberfeldy, but I think I've been spoiled by the smoothness of the Aberlour 16, so I find the 12 yr a bit rough. Too bad the Aberfeldy comes with some kind of weird, semi-exponential pricing curve...

Highland Park is the next distillery on my list for a virtual tour.
I have the 12 and the Sigurd, like the 12, but the Sigurd (prob unobtanium) is divine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back