Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 11, 2021 at 12:30 PM Post #70,036 of 149,253
I have a very lean system to store my music. [...] It's called the alphabet and puts 25 to 27 letters in an order that is recognized all over the world.
I thought Google was Alphabet?

Jan 11, 2021 at 12:45 PM Post #70,037 of 149,253
I have a very lean system to store my music.
Every artist has his/her own folder and there every album is a separate folder.
The coding system is very old but works like a charm.
It's called the alphabet and puts 25 to 27 letters in an order that is recognized all over the world.
Then I have a Roon like database to play with via iPad or similar.
No complains there.
Only 36% it appears
https://www.worldstandards.eu/other/alphabets/

Jan 11, 2021 at 2:13 PM Post #70,038 of 149,253
Maybe iTunes has improved, but what you said is the exactly opposite of my experience. Too many examples to list them all, but in one example iTunes deleted all but one of three very different, but same named, versions of the Allman Brother's "Statesboro Blues" because the software figured the other two were redundant.

Another example is iTunes desire to move files around when it detects compilations. I have 20-30 albums such as "The Musical Mojo of Dr. John" in which iTunes moved the performances of Widespread Panic to the Widespread Panic folder, Allen Toussaint performances to the Allen Toussaint folder, etc. The "compilations" folder was the final straw that made me go in the search of alternatives.

I'm not trying to steer anyone away from or to any particular software. If you like iTunes then continue enjoying it.
Nor am I, but I had similar frustrations with I-Tunes ten years or more ago. It left such a bad taste I resisted ripping my CDs for a long time. I mean, if all library software is that bad for me, what's the use? I didn't even have any files mysteriously disappear on me. I-Tunes just didn't do what I wanted it to do. Since I hate fighting software, I quit using it. If I was able to "give myself over" to the I-Tunes way, I'm sure I would have had a much more @valiant66 experience.

Thanks. I find these random contractions a lot more work than helpful. If I have to stop and do an internet seach... Well, fick that. FIL may be common in a genealogy forum, but I've never seen it here before. How annoying I had to even ask. Not a useful way to communicate. And I'm way more likely to read GD as God Damn.
You gotta keep up with the context. Admittedly, hard to do with a thread which moves as fast as this one. I guess that means you'll have to start ignoring your family and job and check in more frequently.

Jan 11, 2021 at 2:36 PM Post #70,039 of 149,253
And that killed iTunes for me - when I replaced my laptop with a desktop years ago trying to get the library swapped over was an exercise in futility and looking into the why (at that time of them wanting you to buy the downloads again) make me try to minimize their role as much as possible. Yes I use an iPod as a "DAP" - but it is old enough to still have a spinning hard drive, and has not received any of the music I have bought in years as I try to avoid iTunes and double ripping.
Here's another example... I chose to format my media hard drives in ex-FAT simply so I could move the drives between my Mac and a PC at will (forward thinking, my next media computer likely won't be a Mac). The consequence, though, is I lose out on Time Machine, security profiles for multiple user accounts, and likely other Apple goodies. From the outside looking in (I'm an infrequent Apple user, only my media server is Apple, every other computer in the house and at work is a PC) it seems like Apple has a very integrated system which is capable of taking care of a lot of chores for you. I've got work-arounds for that, but I can see the cool-factor in using everything Apple has to offer.

Thank goodness neither my Bifrost nor my home theater pre-pro cares between Apple or PC of DAP...

Jan 11, 2021 at 2:56 PM Post #70,040 of 149,253
Getting back on topic, this is a Barbie-queue

BBQ.jpeg

Jan 11, 2021 at 3:31 PM Post #70,041 of 149,253
I have Roon lifetime. I was sold on that after the free trial years ago. I had just never integrated the streaming services with it, since I also have a Spotify family plan. But if Roon melds all of Qobuz/Tidal with your local stuff, I’m more likely to just stick with Spotify.
Same reason I stayed with Spotify rather than doing Apple Music some years back. Apple muffed the integration of stuff you owned with the subscription content

It depends what you mean by "meld". All albums are listed in a single listing, but each is identified if it is local "library" or "Qobuz" etc. It's also to have the same album identified as available from multiple sources.

Jan 11, 2021 at 3:35 PM Post #70,042 of 149,253
Virtual SchiitrMeet January 2021:
The Triumphant Return of Mike Moffat

Yep, that's right. You don't get me. Nor Tyler, Ivana, or Dave. You get Mike. And Mike alone. So if he's uncorked, well, that's just how it goes.

What does this mean? Now's your chance to ask Mike about all the digital stuff that you've been asking me about (and I've been saying, "heck, I don't know," for a while now.) Of course an Urd (transport) update is part of what he'll talk about. You'll also be able to ask him anything else you want...this is an "ask me anything" event!" Of course, Mike may choose not to answer your question, but that's entirely up to him. Please send questions in advance to Denise Martin at denise@schiit.com.

Also, we will be streaming on BOTH the detested (by you) Facebook and on the Schiit YouTube channel simultaneously, because we heard you about the Facebook-only thing. I'm afraid there are no giveaways this time.

So send your questions to denise@schiit.com and join us for the first SchiitrMeet of 2021:

Wednesday, January 13, 4pm, PST

Ask Me Anything (AMA), Q&A format

(Yes, we will be giving an update on the Transport)
Send questions to Denise. denise@schiit.com

Streaming on:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZqCWt2_qqB-UD0-pcPpxCw
https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/

I hope you can make it!

All the best,

Jason Stoddard
Mike Moffat

Co-Founders
Schiit Audio

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jan 11, 2021 at 3:36 PM Post #70,043 of 149,253
Either way, I am not happy when I don't own the product. Last company I was at, an EAF electrode regulation company tried to "sell" us their product. You pay them X dollars a month for their feed forward PID loop and instrumentation, and they have a customer support line and monthly monitoring of the system (as part of a contract). I asked if we, say after the 5 year contract was over, decided to not renew, what happens? Their software shuts off and locks us out and the furnace can't turn on as it needs a) a port on the firewall to talk to them and b) a signal back from them saying it is okay to turn the furnace on.

I take it you don't use ANY software then?

Jan 11, 2021 at 3:48 PM Post #70,044 of 149,253

I am sure I am not alone in being happy that Mr. Moffat is felling well enough to do this. Good news indeed!

Jan 11, 2021 at 4:00 PM Post #70,045 of 149,253
Virtual SchiitrMeet January 2021:

Yep, that's right. You don't get me. Nor Tyler, Ivana, or Dave. You get Mike. And Mike alone. So if he's uncorked, well, that's just how it goes.

What does this mean? Now's your chance to ask Mike about all the digital stuff that you've been asking me about (and I've been saying, "heck, I don't know," for a while now.) Of course an Urd (transport) update is part of what he'll talk about. You'll also be able to ask him anything else you want...this is an "ask me anything" event!" Of course, Mike may choose not to answer your question, but that's entirely up to him. Please send questions in advance to Denise Martin at denise@schiit.com.

Also, we will be streaming on BOTH the detested (by you) Facebook and on the Schiit YouTube channel simultaneously, because we heard you about the Facebook-only thing. I'm afraid there are no giveaways this time.

So send your questions to denise@schiit.com and join us for the first SchiitrMeet of 2021:

(Yes, we will be giving an update on the Transport)
Send questions to Denise. denise@schiit.com

Streaming on:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZqCWt2_qqB-UD0-pcPpxCw
https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/

I hope you can make it!

All the best,

Jason Stoddard
Mike Moffat

Co-Founders
Schiit Audio
Awesome! We are preparing for 2nd lockdown and really want to buy an Urd soon...probably not launched before the lockdown is over...gonna be fun to watch Mike anyways, really like his vocabulary!

Jan 11, 2021 at 4:00 PM Post #70,046 of 149,253
Woohoo!!! I've ordered Gourmet popcorn for the occasion. :D

Jan 11, 2021 at 4:14 PM Post #70,048 of 149,253
I am sure I am not alone in being happy that Mr. Moffat is felling well enough to do this. Good news indeed!

I'll bet the opening is five minutes of Mike with a giant smile on his face wearing a sparkly suit and dancing the cha-cha-cha with Ivana.

P.S Or maybe the Tango

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back