Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 10, 2021 at 9:54 PM Post #70,021 of 149,261
I still use iTunes to manage my iphone and iPads. I do not use it for listening to music. I use Roon at home, and when I’m traveling I use my iPhone as a DAP and use a music player made by Denon because it has a great EQ built in. iTunes makes a very convenient cd ripper, and I also use EAC when I know it s not music I care to travel with. So my music library is a mix on FLAC and ALAC files. I do not think I have ever purchased an iTunes download. And I have no file management issue mainly because with Roon it just doesn’t matter as long as the watched folders exist.

The only thing I use iTunes for is putting MP3 files on my iPhone.

Edit: iTunes is now simply called Music.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2021 at 9:59 PM Post #70,022 of 149,261
So I have to ask, coming from curiosity, do you love any music that is recorded poorly? Much of the Coltrane catalog is recorded wonderfully, but some is awful recordings of sublime music that I will never have a different opportunity to listen to. Boris Vian, even some Led Zepplin. Maria Callas, Alfred Brendel. Some Grateful Dead bootlegs. Aretha b-sides. Capturing a musical moment only way it could be. Sure, I love amazing modern recordings too... but they don’t displace the music I love. Not trying to put you on the spot, but as a self-described “numbers guy” I suppose I’m asking you how you think about musical moments you love with sub-par recordings? Or do you love the recording? I personally can’t get there, but maybe I have a lot to learn about appreciating recordings... thanks.
For fun, try to find a decent Enrico Curasso recording.

Yea, he died in 1921, but you'd think he'd have the common courtesy to leave a scratch free, 24/356 recording for posterity. person.

Don't get me started on Jinny Lind.
[/QUOTE]
It's a great question, but begs the further question; what defines a good vs: poor recording? We can certainly compare dynamic range, frequency range, etc etc - but then we go down that "measurement" rabbit hole. For me personally, I enjoy and appreciate well engineered recordings, but I don't personally limit my enjoyment of music to just that, nor would I dismiss out of hand prior to a good listen. just my 2/100's

Jan 10, 2021 at 10:46 PM Post #70,023 of 149,261
The only thing I use iTunes for is putting MP3 files on my iPhone.

Edit: iTunes is now simply called Music.
Maybe on a Mac? It’s called iTunes on my PC.

Jan 10, 2021 at 11:03 PM Post #70,024 of 149,261
Jan 11, 2021 at 3:49 AM Post #70,028 of 149,261
Pretty much all the issues I have with iTunes relate to the metadata. Some people who create the original data have absolutely no idea what they’re doing. Albums where all tracks are by the same artist are listed as compilations (typically greatest hits albums) as are albums which have tracks featuring other artists. Which invariably is not how the CD cover describes things.

Also, if iTunes treats an album as a compilation then it because that‘s what the metadata database they use says it is. All you have to do is change the metadata and iTunes will put the album in the correct place.

If you guys think iTunes is bad, then you haven’t used the Naim ripping software. It doesn’t use the disc number field within the metadata and as such you have two Pink Floyd albums, The Wall Disk 1 and The Wall Disk 2. Which is not what Pink Floyd released. And despite me raising a support call with Naim, they’re not interested in fixing this obvious error.

Jan 11, 2021 at 7:35 AM Post #70,029 of 149,261
Pretty much all the issues I have with iTunes relate to the metadata. Some people who create the original data have absolutely no idea what they’re doing. Albums where all tracks are by the same artist are listed as compilations (typically greatest hits albums) as are albums which have tracks featuring other artists. Which invariably is not how the CD cover describes things.

Also, if iTunes treats an album as a compilation then it because that‘s what the metadata database they use says it is. All you have to do is change the metadata and iTunes will put the album in the correct place.

If you guys think iTunes is bad, then you haven’t used the Naim ripping software. It doesn’t use the disc number field within the metadata and as such you have two Pink Floyd albums, The Wall Disk 1 and The Wall Disk 2. Which is not what Pink Floyd released. And despite me raising a support call with Naim, they’re not interested in fixing this obvious error.
Thanks for this @Jheal
Having ripped over 1200 CDs, I now know how to edit the metadata and 'trick' iTunes into saving albums where I want them; either in 'compilations' or under the artist's name.
In iTunes it is also possible to untick the box which puts album tracks into compilations.
As a lossless ripping system (ALAC) and basic music library, it might not be ideal, but it works for me.
The most important things for me are that it sounds good and I can find my music.
iTunes ticks both those boxes for me.
I know that many people like FLAC, which is understandable, but in my (albeit limited), understanding, an ALAC file will be identical to any other lossless file, such as FLAC.
Now that I have Qobuz I am not ripping as many CDs as I was a few years ago, so I can live with the slightly cumbersome process when ripping some albums.
I still buy CDs of albums I really like unless they are ridiculously expensive, as is the case with some reissues/remasters.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2021 at 8:45 AM Post #70,030 of 149,261
Jot 2 #3 has arrived - and IT WORKS! Time for some quick sweet tunes before day's last online meeting.

LCD-MX4 out of the balanced output doesn't take much volume to get loud on low gain, but then again a Playstation controller can drive them quite comfortably, even though it doesn't sound very good at all. I made the switch from a more "high-end" amp costing 2-3 as much as Jotunheim, and Jot holds its own very well. Haven't heard a Schiit amp since Asgard 2 and I'm super happy. Very much worth the money and small troubles.

Still waiting for balanced interconnects, but now I know they are in the country so I should receive them by the end of the week.

Also we've been at a few house showings with my girlfriend, and might make an offer for one. Exciting times!

Jan 11, 2021 at 9:07 AM Post #70,031 of 149,261
Jot 2 #3 has arrived - and IT WORKS! Time for some quick sweet tunes before day's last online meeting.

LCD-MX4 out of the balanced output doesn't take much volume to get loud on low gain, but then again a Playstation controller can drive them quite comfortably, even though it doesn't sound very good at all. I made the switch from a more "high-end" amp costing 2-3 as much as Jotunheim, and Jot holds its own very well. Haven't heard a Schiit amp since Asgard 2 and I'm super happy. Very much worth the money and small troubles.

Still waiting for balanced interconnects, but now I know they are in the country so I should receive them by the end of the week.

Also we've been at a few house showings with my girlfriend, and might make an offer for one. Exciting times!

I'm very happy you now have working gear and sorry you had to go through that. :L3000:

Jan 11, 2021 at 11:23 AM Post #70,033 of 149,261
That turns out not to be the case.

If you let iTunes manage your music it creates an entirely accessible folder structure you can browse any time. Artist->Album->Songs plus Compilations->Album->Songs.

It doesn't pick up changes you make manually in that structure, so if that's how you manage your music look elsewhere.

By it is in no way "closed" - your library is just folders and files. I run minim server along side iTunes and have it set to refresh once a day to pick up any music I add thru iTunes. I can play to anything I own with that arrangement.

I like using itunes for library management and have it set up to grab album art, and a utility to embed lyrics. If I can't stream from itunes, nearly everything sees minim server as a upnp device.
I used itunes for years, but when they added itunes match and apple music they messed it all up. That's what sent me off to using other things

Jan 11, 2021 at 11:27 AM Post #70,034 of 149,261
I have a very lean system to store my music.
Every artist has his/her own folder and there every album is a separate folder.
The coding system is very old but works like a charm.
It's called the alphabet and puts 25 to 27 letters in an order that is recognized all over the world.
Then I have a Roon like database to play with via iPad or similar.
No complains there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back