Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 10, 2021 at 4:50 PM Post #70,006 of 148,601
...{{{snip}}....but hopefully I didn't make any glaring mistakes, as I tend to shoot these things entirely off the top of my head....{{snip}}}...
You sir, are a joy to listen to. No kidding. :)

Jan 10, 2021 at 4:52 PM Post #70,007 of 148,601
I bought a new PC almost a year ago, and still haven’t succeeded in exporting my iTunes library to the new PC!
And that killed iTunes for me - when I replaced my laptop with a desktop years ago trying to get the library swapped over was an exercise in futility and looking into the why (at that time of them wanting you to buy the downloads again) make me try to minimize their role as much as possible. Yes I use an iPod as a "DAP" - but it is old enough to still have a spinning hard drive, and has not received any of the music I have bought in years as I try to avoid iTunes and double ripping.

Jan 10, 2021 at 5:09 PM Post #70,008 of 148,601
I bought a new PC almost a year ago, and still haven’t succeeded in exporting my iTunes library to the new PC!
And that killed iTunes for me - when I replaced my laptop with a desktop years ago trying to get the library swapped over was an exercise in futility and looking into the why (at that time of them wanting you to buy the downloads again) make me try to minimize their role as much as possible. Yes I use an iPod as a "DAP" - but it is old enough to still have a spinning hard drive, and has not received any of the music I have bought in years as I try to avoid iTunes and double ripping.

Maybe I'm the exception but that process for me was entirely painless. I simply took a copy of the "Music" folder on the old PC, and pasted into the Music folder on the new PC. Loaded up iTunes, and it was all there once iTunes had read in the data.

That is not to say that some of iTunes quirks for me are annoying as well. The way it handles compilations leaves room for improvement for sure. I don't use it anymore for music, its sole purpose in my life is to back up our iDevices to a local PC, so that I can then also make another backup offline. I don't subscribe or wish to pay Apple for completely backing up 2 phones and 2 ipads when I have loads of storage.

Jan 10, 2021 at 5:13 PM Post #70,009 of 148,601
I am not a fan of Apple or iTunes.
However, as a technophobe, iTunes has worked for me.
I have used it to rip about 1200 CDs into ALAC over the past ten years or so.
It can be frustrating but I seem to have got all of my music library tagged with the right artwork and it’s now all in the right place.
LMS integrates really well with iTunes to manage my library with my streamers.
I also use an iPod in my car.
I must have been lucky as iTunes has never deleted a file...... so far!
It does have flaws though.
You, sir, are not fooling me regarding being a technophobe :beerchug:

iTunes isn't without it's charms. It works well as a ripper/tagger. It's what it does with the files after the conversion that steered me towards the alternatives. It is with file management that I dislike. It seems things may have improved since I abandoned iTunes but, for me, it's too late to turn back.

Best of luck exporting your iTunes library to the new computer. I'm probably wrong and maybe some of the more knowledgable folks can weigh in, but I believe that iTunes stores meta-data in an .xml file and ignores embedded meta-data which MAY be what is preventing you from successfully importing your tunes to the new machine. I'll happily admit if I'm off track here.

Jan 10, 2021 at 5:18 PM Post #70,010 of 148,601
Maybe I'm the exception but that process for me was entirely painless. I simply took a copy of the "Music" folder on the old PC, and pasted into the Music folder on the new PC. Loaded up iTunes, and it was all there once iTunes had read in the data.

That is not to say that some of iTunes quirks for me are annoying as well. The way it handles compilations leaves room for improvement for sure. I don't use it anymore for music, its sole purpose in my life is to back up our iDevices to a local PC, so that I can then also make another backup offline. I don't subscribe or wish to pay Apple for completely backing up 2 phones and 2 ipads when I have loads of storage.
Also, when I tried to put the music from iTunes on an SD card so my car could read and play them through the infotainment system, the car didn't like the format, with how long the commute is now (back then it wasn't bad at 20 minutes) that is not workable.

Jan 10, 2021 at 5:25 PM Post #70,011 of 148,601
To wit, Joni Mitchell's first album sounds like it was recorded inside a galvanized garbage can. But it's brilliant nonetheless.
...in particular Court & Spark. A Case of You has some cringing high-notes (I'll relisten to it).

Jan 10, 2021 at 5:36 PM Post #70,012 of 148,601

@Timster
I did exactly the same as you when copying my iTunes but I just can’t access it on new PC.
Some of it must have been copied as I am running my streamer from a hard drive on the new PC.
If I want to burn a CD from my iTunes library I have to use my old Windows 7 PC.
Similarly, when I rip CDs I have to use the old PC.
Eventually I am sure I’ll fix it but I live with it for now.

Jan 10, 2021 at 5:42 PM Post #70,013 of 148,601
@Timster
I did exactly the same as you when copying my iTunes but I just can’t access it on new PC.
Some of it must have been copied as I am running my streamer from a hard drive on the new PC.
If I want to burn a CD from my iTunes library I have to use my old Windows 7 PC.
Similarly, when I rip CDs I have to use the old PC.
Eventually I am sure I’ll fix it but I live with it for now.
I used to love iTunes. But it’s been more than a decade... since then, Secure rips on EAC to a NAS. Lived in metadata hell and folder organization hell. Now Roon makes it better, but I still know SQ is solid (that is, lossless).

Jan 10, 2021 at 5:58 PM Post #70,015 of 148,601
Also, when I tried to put the music from iTunes on an SD card so my car could read and play them through the infotainment system, the car didn't like the format, with how long the commute is now (back then it wasn't bad at 20 minutes) that is not workable.
I suspect that's because of how iTunes handles meta-data. Maybe try converting a few of your iTunes files with one of the free software programs that are out there. I'm on a mac and I've had very good luck with XLD and XACT. Similar programs are available on PC.

XLD - https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/23430/x-lossless-decoder
XACT - https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/14246/xact

I have no association with either program.

Jan 10, 2021 at 6:06 PM Post #70,016 of 148,601
I suspect that's because of how iTunes handles meta-data. Maybe try converting a few of your iTunes files with one of the free software programs that are out there. I'm on a mac and I've had very good luck with XLD and XACT. Similar programs are available on PC.

XLD - https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/23430/x-lossless-decoder
XACT - https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/14246/xact

I have no association with either program.
I just finished round filing iTunes and went to Windows Media Player which works fine.

Jan 10, 2021 at 6:12 PM Post #70,017 of 148,601
Wow, if you had asked me I would have guessed there would be near zero iTunes or Windows media player on this thread, but rather lots of Foobar2k, JRiver, maybe some Plex with a bit of Roon thrown in.

Jan 10, 2021 at 6:59 PM Post #70,018 of 148,601
I still use iTunes to manage my iphone and iPads. I do not use it for listening to music. I use Roon at home, and when I’m traveling I use my iPhone as a DAP and use a music player made by Denon because it has a great EQ built in. iTunes makes a very convenient cd ripper, and I also use EAC when I know it s not music I care to travel with. So my music library is a mix on FLAC and ALAC files. I do not think I have ever purchased an iTunes download. And I have no file management issue mainly because with Roon it just doesn’t matter as long as the watched folders exist.

Jan 10, 2021 at 7:54 PM Post #70,020 of 148,601
So I have to ask, coming from curiosity, do you love any music that is recorded poorly? Much of the Coltrane catalog is recorded wonderfully, but some is awful recordings of sublime music that I will never have a different opportunity to listen to. Boris Vian, even some Led Zepplin. Maria Callas, Alfred Brendel. Some Grateful Dead bootlegs. Aretha b-sides. Capturing a musical moment only way it could be. Sure, I love amazing modern recordings too... but they don’t displace the music I love. Not trying to put you on the spot, but as a self-described “numbers guy” I suppose I’m asking you how you think about musical moments you love with sub-par recordings? Or do you love the recording? I personally can’t get there, but maybe I have a lot to learn about appreciating recordings... thanks.
[/QUOTE]
For fun, try to find a decent Enrico Curasso recording.

Yea, he died in 1921, but you'd think he'd have the common courtesy to leave a scratch free, 24/356 recording for posterity. person.

Don't get me started on Jinny Lind.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back