Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 1, 2021 at 5:10 PM Post #69,406 of 148,518
yes, a 5Wpc speaker amp should be doable in midsize chassis with the internal heatsink plus aluminum bottom sled / Gap Pad thermal interface. Presumably would have a class AB output stage with Continuity S enhancement, and SE speaker output (does not make sense to go balanced out for low power speaker amp and the extra rail voltage would just decrease efficiency at low to medium power level).

Do any of Schiit's speaker amps have balanced speaker outs? That's more of a pro-audio thing.

Jan 1, 2021 at 5:12 PM Post #69,407 of 148,518
Do any of Schiit's speaker amps have balanced speaker outs? That's more of a pro-audio thing.
AFAIK the only outs on the Ragnarok, Vidar, or Aegir have been standard binding posts (well, high quality ones - I like being able to put a ring terminal on them).

Edit: Completely irrelevant to balanced output or not.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2021 at 5:17 PM Post #69,409 of 148,518
For my recent order, I used FedEx International Economy and was only charged GST once it arrived at customs. The shipment was delivered within 4 business days. It would have been 3 days except Canada Customs delayed the release so it missed the FedEx truck from the airport. I considered using International Priority but the extra $40 USD wasn't worth the possibility of delivery one day earlier.

interesting. Thanks for that. I was discouraged from buying a Hel as a gift because shipping etc was fully 1/3 as much as the product itself.

Jan 1, 2021 at 5:21 PM Post #69,410 of 148,518
I cracked and ordered dual Aegirs direct to the UK at the beginning of December, still showing as shipping in '7-10 days': Hopefully not unwise timing considering Jason's hints! Likewise, if they need beta testing with UK mains electricity...

I am sure the Aegirs will be fantastic @Skaffeh and worth the wait.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2021 at 5:43 PM Post #69,411 of 148,518
In general, stereo amps bridged to mono have balanced output. I would expect Vidar and Aegir in monoblock mode to have balanced output. I also believe that Ragnarok 2 is balanced throughout, including the output.
AFAIK the only outs on the Ragnarok, Vidar, or Aegir have been standard binding posts (well, high quality ones - I like being able to put a ring terminal on them).
Speaker binding posts are generic and it doesn't matter whether the output is balanced or not.

Jan 1, 2021 at 5:52 PM Post #69,412 of 148,518
+1 @rkw comments regarding using the Schiit amps (Aegir, Vidar) in monoblock mode with balanced XLR input, output becomes balanced with respect to the input signal ground.
and Ragnarok 2 having balanced outs as well (do not connect black output posts of the two channels together)

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2021 at 6:12 PM Post #69,413 of 148,518
In general, stereo amps bridged to mono have balanced output. I would expect Vidar and Aegir in monoblock mode to have balanced output. I also believe that Ragnarok 2 is balanced throughout, including the output.
Speaker binding posts are generic and it doesn't matter whether the output is balanced or not.
Thank you, seems I once again am proving I am a dumb mechanical. I'll edit my post to reflect that.

Jan 1, 2021 at 7:52 PM Post #69,414 of 148,518
I have seen some pro amps with XLR inputs and XLR (line level) outs, to facilitate daisy chaining of multiple amplifiers (without the crew having to stock y splitters, etc). in some cases the two pairs just wired together, other times with an active (op-amp???) buffer between the line inputs and outputs.

Jan 1, 2021 at 8:20 PM Post #69,416 of 148,518
If you want 'cableless' adapter, better to go 4.4mm pentaconn on the hp cable termination and a pentaconn to 1/4 TRS adapter of short length to minimize torque moment on the TRS connector of the amplifier (stacked m-f XLR is bulky and not very short). otherwise I think a very short cable would be OK, provided 4 wires all the way up to the TRS connector to minimize common mode impedance of the "ground" return path. yeah, i know it sounds like a lot of engineerese... maybe an actual Mech Engr could chime in?
I'm curious. Where have you seen 4.4mm pentaconn plugs at a reasonable price?

Neutrik will start producing pentaconn plugs and jacks at some point, or they won't. I'll wait till Neutrik gives the signal.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2021 at 8:27 PM Post #69,417 of 148,518
I'm curious. Where have you seen 4.4mm pentaconn plugs at a reasonable price?

Neutrik will start producing pentaconn plugs and jacks at some point, or they wont. I'll wait till Neutrik gives the signal.

of course they're not cheap (nothing in enthusiast audio is) and most likely a PITA to work with (close spacing of terminals)

Jan 1, 2021 at 8:41 PM Post #69,418 of 148,518
As a fellow European ( even though the UK officially left the EU yesterday......)

'Urd. We’re going into beta on this, so we are close. You’ll see our transport/digital hub this year'.
of course they're not cheap (nothing in enthusiast audio is) and most likely a PITA to work with (close spacing of terminals)
There's nothing I can discern (other than exclusivity, and a patent), that should make pentaconn any more expensive than other termination options.

Adapters aren't crazy priced: https://www.amazon.com/Geekria-Bala...ld=1&keywords=pentaconn&qid=1609551472&sr=8-1

I'm always eager to be educated.

Jan 1, 2021 at 9:24 PM Post #69,419 of 148,518
LS50s need a lot of power to sound their best. I hate to say it, but desktop-for-LS50 sounds like class D :astonished:
I don't mind saying it but that much reflected treble could cause permanent tilted frequency misperception.

Though I did try the LSX on my desktop and the result was great, especially when I needed to turn down the music to lower levels. What I perceive as artifically inflated treble from the tweeter was very helpful in this respect. Despite my attempt at humor, I think the problem would be from the bass drivers that big if you're really putting them on top of a desk ... the LSX has plenty of bass from the powered, 4" driver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back