Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 11, 2020 at 6:19 PM Post #68,011 of 149,175
I wondered why the Air Force precision flying squad was named after a British puppet kids show.
Maybe it wasn't. This is better known to Americans.
thunderbird.jpg

Dec 11, 2020 at 6:28 PM Post #68,013 of 149,175
Dec 11, 2020 at 6:34 PM Post #68,015 of 149,175
Hmm, how curious.

Let us know how it goes!

Done.
IMG_1831.jpg

That was a bit harder than it should have been!

I resorted to using a pair of pliers with soft jaw protectors. You used to be able to pick these up at Sears, but now there is no Sears. Grrrr.

The original knob suffered no damage. I have a small collection of the jaw protectors to work on my old Raleigh 3 speed that is sized for Whitworth, instead of SAE or metric. I'm too cheap to buy a Whitworth set.

Dec 11, 2020 at 6:42 PM Post #68,016 of 149,175
I have a small collection of the jaw protectors to work on my old Raleigh 3 speed that is sized for Whitworth, instead of SAE or metric.

Just in case you missed it earlier, Texas stole Raleigh so better stock up on spare parts now before the quality goes to crap. :grinning:

(sorry)

Dec 11, 2020 at 6:43 PM Post #68,017 of 149,175
Just in case you missed it earlier, Texas stole Raleigh so better stock up on spare parts now before the quality goes to crap. :grinning:

(sorry)

S'alright!

It gets weirder than that, my Raleigh wears a Triumph badge! Raleigh's that were sold in department stores were rebadged so as not to compete directly against their dealers.

Just in case someone accuses me of trying to derail the thread, I must point out that this bicycle has no derailleur!

Triumph 3  copy copy.jpeg

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2020 at 6:45 PM Post #68,018 of 149,175
Done.
IMG_1831.jpg

I resorted to using a pair of pliers with soft jaw protectors. You used to be able to pick these up at Sears, but now there is no Sears. Grrrr.

The original knob suffered no damage. I have a small collection of the jaw protectors to work on my old Raleigh 3 speed that is sized for Whitworth, instead of SAE or metric. I'm too cheap to buy a Whitworth set.
Wow! Job well done. Hopefully it won't be so difficult for me. Can I please have exact dimensions of the original knob?

Dec 11, 2020 at 6:48 PM Post #68,019 of 149,175
my Asgard 3 knob (purchased about 2 mos ago) has a set-screw. :thinking: visible from the top when rotated CCW to min volume setting.

My Lyr 3 volume knob originally had a setscrew, then after a visit to the hospital it came back with a push-on knob. Miraculously, the new knob worked exactly the same as the original one. :grin:

Dec 11, 2020 at 6:58 PM Post #68,020 of 149,175
does the setscrew one sound better than the push-on version? i think so. :ksc75smile:

Also just ordered a modi 3+ b-stock. for $89 how can one go wrong, with trickle-down design tricks from Modius? will compare with Bifrost OG Multibit. would have used the term "bimby" but that's discouraged by Jason...

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2020 at 7:01 PM Post #68,021 of 149,175
Done.
IMG_1831.jpg

Looks good.

Dec 11, 2020 at 7:02 PM Post #68,022 of 149,175
does the setscrew one sound better than the push-on version? i think so. :ksc75smile:

I think the bass was a little tighter with the setscrew knob, but that could be due solely to expectation bias. :grin:

Dec 11, 2020 at 7:22 PM Post #68,024 of 149,175
My understanding is that it never made it to the USA. You are the first American I've know who has even heard about the programme.

Did you see it on TV here?

I watched the Thunderbirds back in the 60's on television in Los Angeles. One of my favorite shows back then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back