Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 24, 2020 at 3:21 PM Post #67,276 of 148,626
@Ableza -- Are you in Phoenix? If so, I believe they have Spam Musubi.

Capture.JPG

Nov 24, 2020 at 3:33 PM Post #67,277 of 148,626
Nov 24, 2020 at 3:37 PM Post #67,278 of 148,626
I only wish I could afford name-brand food like that. :disappointed:
OK, that was funny, but it opens up this: Is that why you eat NC BBQ, because it's all cooked anonymously?

Nov 24, 2020 at 3:42 PM Post #67,279 of 148,626
LOL! Back when I was in college (yes, that far back), the $2 in the wallet could either buy dinner (3 cans of Spam for $1), or a six-pack of Drummond Brothers (with some change leftover). Cheapness has no palette. :laughing:
Did you use the beer to wash down the taste of the Spam, or the other way 'round?

Nov 24, 2020 at 4:21 PM Post #67,282 of 148,626
An early (1994) Internet Prank:

SPAM JAKE DAY -- A Summary
-------------------------

By Reverend Brother Lee Harvey Oswald Smith, KSC WMD SPAM
Episkopos, John Friedrich Cabal, Discordian Society

1) WHAT IS A JAKE? (AND WHERE CAN I GET SOME?)
---------------------------------------------

A Jake is defined as part of Operation [censored]. Basically, it involves
a lot of people collaborating to send a lot of weird stuff to some
bureaucrat/official/someone somewhere, asking for some information/help/
whatever, preferably in an obscure or unusual way. The letters are timed to
arrive on the same day, and to make the bureaucrat/official/etc. think
that either he is the target of a global conspiracy of lunatics or the
general public are much more imaginative than he has previously thought.

2) WHAT IS THIS SPAM JAKE?

The plan: on Spam Jake Day (the twenty-third of May, 1994), a lot of
mail will arrive at the headquarters of Hormel Foods, the manufacturer
of Spam, from all over the world. This will be from various Discordian,
SubGenius and other weird religious groups; on official letterhead
(which looks rather weird), and from people with long, bizarre religious
titles. Each letter will claim that the sender's own group is the
original Church of Spam (with appropriate embellishments), and
requesting official endorsement from Hormel Foods as such.

3) HOW DO I GET INVOLVED?
------------------------

If you wish to be involved in this global [censored], all you have to do
is write such a letter, in the name of your religion/conspiracy (if you
don't have one, found one), adding any embellishments you may wish to
add and send it to:

Hormel Foods
Corporate Offices
1 Hormel Drive
Austin, MN 55912

Send the letter before Spam Jake Day, if possible timing it so that it
arrives on Spam Jake Day. The rest is fnord up to you.

4) WHAT WILL THIS ACHIEVE?

With luck, somebody at Hormel will find their desk inundated with
curious missives from all sorts of strange groups from all over the
world asking for official sanction for some esoteric activity involving
Spam, or, in the parlance, "weird s***". Unable to dismiss this as a small,
localised prank they will be very much puzzled by this and possibly
shall attain illumination from the shock. Candidates for official
approval may receive interesting replies; furthermore, the media may pick
up on this, distorting it and adding further chaos to the equation.
In any case, the ripples of this should be felt far and wide, if enough
people get involved.

5) WHY SHOULD I GET INVOLVED?
----------------------------

Because if you don't, ye shall verily be transformed into a
Precious Mao Button and distributed to the Poor in the Region of Thud.
Or not.

--
Reverend Brother Pope Lee Harvey Oswald Smith, KSC WMD SPAM
Episkopos, John Friedrich Cabal; High Epopt of the Secret and Terrible Rite
Chairperson dei gratia, Flat Earth Society -"In your heart, you know it's flat"
President-for-life, Don't Let Lieutenant Wilkes Breed Society Society

Think about about -><- Stop casting porosity -><- Keep the lasagna flying

============
Holy Temple of Mass Consumption
PO Box 30904
Raleigh, NC 27622-0904
slack@ncsu.edu

http://web.mit.edu/dryfoo/www/SubG/spam-jake.html

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2020 at 5:08 PM Post #67,283 of 148,626
As a veteran of one too many Cub Scout camping trips, even schitty coffee is the nectar of the gods when climbing out of a tent on a 20 degree(F) morning. :laughing:
My wife and friends were girl scout (brownie scout) leaders for a while. They went camping at the nature preserve literally within walking distance of our house.

Got a lot of brownie points (ugh!) for delivering coffee to the campsite one morn...

Nov 24, 2020 at 5:08 PM Post #67,284 of 148,626
Did you use the beer to wash down the taste of the Spam, or the other way 'round?

If you could chug 3 or 4 Drummond Bros in advance, it made the Spam taste, well, less bad. The problem was getting through those first several beers without gagging. :laughing:

Nov 24, 2020 at 5:18 PM Post #67,285 of 148,626
THe AKM fire damage is spreading - Fiio has announced the impact. Glad Jason is Paranoid, even if it was accidental

James Chung

FiiO’s Next Plan for Players
2020 is going to end. We hope it will also be the end of the disaster. Recently, many users have been asking if there is any update plan for our players. Here I would like to give a reply, so that you can make purchase decisions according to your needs.
1. FiiO's product line of mid-to-high-end players
In the past two years, we have made a plan starting with the M11 for 3 mid-to-high-end players, the M11, M11Pro and M15, all of which were based on the same platform- a 5.15-inch screen + Exynos7872 + 3G RAM + 32G/64G Flash. Because these components were discontinued at the end of 2019, we have correspondingly completed the purchase order according to our estimated sales volume. However, due to their excellent performance, the actual sales volume has exceeded our expectation, which means these models will be sold out in 2020. (“Out of stock” means the stock of our factory, while our sales agents may still have inventory).
Our future mid-to-high-end players will change the processor platform. But due to a fire in the AKM factory resulting in the supply of the AK4497/AK4499 we originally planned to use encountered problems, the models that are about to be developed have to urgently replace the DAC solution. Therefore, except for a new 4497-based model that would be released in limited quantities in 3 months, other player models will be delayed until after the summer of 2021.
Taking into account the actual performance of the M11, M11Pro and M15 and the actual experience of the 7872-based platform, I personally suggest that you can just get it if you need it. Because the successors of the M11, M11Pro and M15 would all be based on a better platform without major changes in audio configurations. But if you have a preference for ESS chips, you might as well consider it later.
2. Mid-end models
Now it is the mid-end models, i.e. the M6, M7 and M9 based on Samsung Exynos7270. The M9 has been discontinued for a long time; the M7 is selling inventory; the M6 is producing the last batch. So it is estimated that in half a year, our mid-end players will be sold out. As for their successors, we are currently not planning and conducting any new research and development due to two reasons.
1) There are no appropriate processors. At present, there are fewer and fewer processors available for digital products. It is impossible to find qualified processors with appropriate cost, volume, power consumption and performance.
2) Nowadays, Bluetooth amps or little tail DAC/Amps equipped with smartphones have become a portable HIFI solution for many people. If mid-end players want to be outstanding in music experience, it may at least be equipped with Qualcomm 425 + 3G RAM + 32G Flash to meet users’ requirements. But in this case, the cost space for the audio part will be minimal. Even if we made it, it may not be as good as a Bluetooth amp or a little tail DAC/Amp, and cannot compete with mobile phones in terms of its music experience.
Therefore, mid-end players really live in a dilemma. Actual sales data also reflect this trend.
3. Low-end models
As for low-end models, the M3K, M3PRO, and M5 based on Ingenic X1000, the cost of them are very tense, whose performance mainly depends on cost control rather than technology. Therefore, we will not make any renewal plans under limited conditions. If there are demands in the market, we will continue the production. Otherwise, we will stop.
This is all the basic situations. As a manufacturer, we will also make efforts in other product types to make better promotions and sales. Survival and development will not be a problem, and difficult days will finally go to an end. If you are interested in our products, you can choose our existing products, wait for our later products, or turn to other brands. One way or another, your needs go first. Thank you very much for your attention and care for FiiO. We will keep on doing what we should do.

Nov 24, 2020 at 6:10 PM Post #67,287 of 148,626
As he mentioned on the video from last week, email orders@schiit.com and they might be able to answer.

Best,
ed
Thanks! I reached out and there’s no known ETA for black metal now! Bummer, should have pulled the trigger earlier!
Now I’m going to be left wondering whether I should wait for a black Valhalla, or if I wait too long if the AKM chips will no longer be available!

Nov 24, 2020 at 6:36 PM Post #67,288 of 148,626
Wow, you were really living the life!

LOL! It was all worth it as I met my one primary goal: a Bachelors degree with no student loans...and no debt at the end. My parents could only help a little, so most of it was on me. However warped it may seem, I guess Spam reminds me of the determination I used to have. Still tastes like crap though.... :laughing:

Nov 24, 2020 at 7:14 PM Post #67,289 of 148,626
Thanks! I reached out and there’s no known ETA for black metal now! Bummer, should have pulled the trigger earlier!
Now I’m going to be left wondering whether I should wait for a black Valhalla, or if I wait too long if the AKM chips will no longer be available!

Jason has said (in the recent past) that for some products the Black was offered as a way to utilize metal chassis whose imperfections were visible in the sliver finish, and therefore converted to black to minimize waste. Furthermore, as their metal shop's finish quality has been increasing, the Black chassis runs are much less often and in fewer quantities.

AFAIK Bifrost 2 (Multibit) only uses 1 AKM part, the S/PDIF receiver chip (and Dave, Mike, and Ivana are working on a re-design using alternative parts).

If you wait for Valhalla 2 in black, the BF2 may be backordered then because of COVID-19 supply chain disruptions.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2020 at 7:34 PM Post #67,290 of 148,626
from the specs, it looks like most of Schiit HP amps are either (inter-stage or output) capacitor coupled or have a DC servo. The low-frequency (-3dB) response point varies (e.g. Asgard 3, Jotunheim, Mjolnir 2 are all 2Hz, Valhalla is 7 Hz) Generally, the lower the -3dB roll-off frequency, the less phase shift there will be at 20Hz and infrasonic frequencies (but also longer start-up time for the DC bias points / DC servo in circuitry to stabilize). The tube and tube hybrid amps are likely to use capacitor coupling.

there are also three basic forms of "DC coupling", input stage, inter-stage and DC output coupling. most designs have one or two of the above, but almost none employ all three without a DC servo.

IMO, audio circuits with a 2Hz -3dB point should be good to go.

do you have a specific application that requires DC coupling (and DC response?) ?

Reading the Schiit website I was reading that the Magnis:

"Either Magni has no capacitors in the signal path at all—that’s what we mean by DC coupling. This eliminates any sonic effect a capacitor in the signal path might have on your system."

Cap "rolling" is something folks love to do with amps that are cap coupled...chasing audio nirvana with differing caps...so Schiit has just stated this not having and caps that might have an effect on the signal...

The Lyr 3:

"Unlike Vali 2, Lyr 3 has no input or output capacitors, no interstage capacitors, and an overkill 5-pole bias servo."

and the Jotenheim:

" and is completely DC-coupled from input to output"

I was just wondering if this was the "norm" for Schitt in their basic amp designs?

Alex

Users who are viewing this thread

Back