Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 13, 2020 at 1:08 PM Post #66,856 of 149,020
Just Found a Freya-S in b-stock and snagged it.... Many thanks to the one that returned it, and many apologies to anyone else that was hoping for one to show up.

I'm finally getting around to replacing a Sumo Diana, with a very tired, noisy volume pot and frustrating L/R channel tracking. The first of several planned updates; next will be a pair of Vidars (currently using a Sumo Andromeda II) driving my Apogee Duetta Sigs. Final update will either be a Yggy or Gumby.

I got one too. Delivery is scheduled to be here in a few hours.

Nov 13, 2020 at 1:14 PM Post #66,857 of 149,020
You can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter . . .

By saying "still", does this mean a MJ2+ / MJ3 is on the horizon, just waiting for existing stock / metal / boards etc to run out?

If he answered YES, I think we would be waiting much longer for a 2+ or 3 as demand for existing stock would dry up completely. :D

Nov 13, 2020 at 1:20 PM Post #66,858 of 149,020
I’m just incredibly bummed that the bifrost 2’s that are in b-stock are just $30 off. There seems to be a lot of demand for that DAC.

Nov 13, 2020 at 7:13 PM Post #66,862 of 149,020
Yes, V12i's to be exact. 100 watts/channel in full Class A triode, or easily switched to ultralinear for 200 watts/side. With the 94 dB sensitive speakers I had at the time it was quite easy to piss off the neighbors. :smiley:
So, instead of "turning it up to 11", you mostly turned it up to 1.1?

Nov 13, 2020 at 7:14 PM Post #66,863 of 149,020
I had a friend over and we compared two tube amps and two SS amps for about 4 hours. I thought I was going to have to open a window. It was in a 13"X14" room, had to be at least 10 degrees hotter. Oh, good times.

Nov 13, 2020 at 8:19 PM Post #66,865 of 149,020
All of them were class A!

Nov 13, 2020 at 9:06 PM Post #66,866 of 149,020
@darkarn more eitrs on b-stock, but 115V if thats what you need.

for 230V use, get the 115V model + 230V wall wart and you are set

Thanks! This is indeed one of the better news I woken up to for at least these last few years.

I bit the bullet and gotten two (along with the long-awaited Modi Multibit firmware chip). Figured that I should keep one and pass the other for my friends to try cos well, friends let friends try out their Schiit right? No wait, that did not come out correctly

I need 220V though so I ordered the 220V wall warts and requested to be sent only the 220V ones. Let's see how this goes

Nov 13, 2020 at 9:26 PM Post #66,867 of 149,020
Question to my peeps: I picked up a cheap (~$15 CAD) 2 metre extension cable for my Ether C Flow... and am driving it with my Vali 2. After an evening of listening, I noticed that the Vali’s chasis was noticeably cooler (than when run with the stock cable or with other cans). Does the longer headphone cable, with its increased overall in overall resistance (Ohm’s Law) affect how the Vali operates? Or is my mighty little toaster acting like an Asgard 2?

I’m so used to my Schiit amps spewng off heat. And now my Vali runs cool. What!? :ksc75smile:

Nov 13, 2020 at 9:31 PM Post #66,868 of 149,020
Question to my peeps: I picked up a cheap (~$15 CAD) 2 metre extension cable for my Ether C Flow... and am driving it with my Vali 2. After an evening of listening, I noticed that the Vali’s chasis was noticeably cooler (than when run with the stock cable or with other cans). Does the longer headphone cable, with its increased overall in overall resistance (Ohm’s Law) affect how the Vali operates? Or is my mighty little toaster acting like an Asgard 2?

I’m so used to my Schiit amps spewng off heat. And now my Vali runs cool. What!? :ksc75smile:

It's only running on one triode now. The other one quit in protest of the cheap cable. :smile:

Nov 13, 2020 at 9:37 PM Post #66,869 of 149,020
I am now the proud owner of a Lyr 3 Bifrost 2 combo. I've been listening via a pair of Drop HD 6XX's for the past hour or so and I'm thoroughly impressed. This is my first headphone and headphone amp. Decided to go with a new production Tung Sol 6SN7GTB rather than install the stock JJ 6SN7. Bifost 2 is connected to my Widows PC via USB cable.

I now understand why some reviewer's of the HD 6XX's refer to them as having an "inside your head" presentation.

Everything is new, so will take a bit for things to settle-in. I had some 2" square rubber and cork isolation pads that I put between the Bifrost 2 and the Lyr 3 to help dissipate heat. Not a lot of heat per se but I'm sure the extra space between them doesn't hurt.

Currently listening to Joni Mitchell's 1976 album Hejira. Vocals and guitars on this are gorgeous.
Welcome to the thread, @Acapella48 . Lyr-3-Bifrost-2 stack. Nice! I never regretted buying my first pair of HD*** headphones. My HD555 have foam bits falling off... its pads are nasty. And the headband is stretched. The cables kinked yet it hasn’t shorted out. Sounds great. Relegated to the bathroom. BTW, I’ve heard some excitement about Senheisser’s latest offering, the HD560S.

Nov 13, 2020 at 10:53 PM Post #66,870 of 149,020

+1 that the triode may be objecting to the cheap cable, but maybe its speaking Russian so you can't understand what its saying. :)

longer cable shouldn't make it run cooler (unless, but very unlikely, the stock cable / headphone was causing the amplifier to oscillate)

if you have an AC watt meter, like a Kill-a-watt P3, you could measure the power draw at idle (HPs plugged in, but no music playing). note that VA and Watts are not the same thing.

my Asgard 3, which draws about 11W and a bit bigger chassis than Vali 2, has an underside case temperature of about 110F at the hottest point with ambient about 68F (in an draft-free area).

maybe the ambient temperature dropped a few degrees, or you didn't have Vali 2 on long enough to reach steady-state operating temp (the time constant might be tens of minutes).

as a science teacher, run some experiments: if you have a thermocouple / IR thermometer you could take some measurements every five minutes or so, including the room ambient.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back