Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 18, 2020 at 12:25 AM Post #65,791 of 149,184
(sorry to rain on your parade) :frowning2:
the PC USB card is more software / driver development than hardware. and potential software maintenance nightmares with each subsequent version of Windows 10 (e.g 1508 vs 1704 vs 1708 vs 1903 vs 1906 vs 2004). doesn't matter how fast / good the USB chip on the card is if the OS and streaming source doesn't have the bandwidth / processor speed / task prioritization to prevent data underruns to the DAC.

CD transport will have guaranteed quality vs any real-time off the internet streaming. (or cache the music files locally onto an SSD, then play back with other PC tasks stopped / minimized)

Maybe Schiit could rig it so that the card is supported only by Linux. It would be like a stealth campaign to rid the world of the affliction of Windows.

Oct 18, 2020 at 5:11 AM Post #65,794 of 149,184
For someone not familiar with audio players, settings and plug-ins Foobar is a no go monster that looks and works like a bad Linux fork.
Try something simple plug and play like Musicbee. Also 100% free.
Windows media player always goes through the resample to 48 kHz machine and will not play at the downloaded bit depth and sample rate.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2020 at 7:57 AM Post #65,795 of 149,184
@Jason Stoddard you guys ever consider updating the product page for the Hel! to include the Dan Clark Audio Aeon RT and the ModMic / Hel package they sell? I didn't think I'd ever need the mic + input, but the other day I was late setting up a meeting and the computer with the photographs I wanted stream from my pc was being blocked by default settings in Zoom. I had to speak for two seconds to the admin but no camera, no mic and my phone was set up to stream in the other room. I could see the ... WAIT! I have a mic and an input right on my desk so I don't have to mess around "back there" with all the dust and cables. So I plugged in the ModMic to the Hel and put on the Aeon RT's, got the slide slow moving and the meeting was saved from my incompetence. So I actually used my Schiit uh, productively (no ⚡ ).

BTW I love Hel. Great clean solid neutral sound. But the bass is great too!

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2020 at 10:14 AM Post #65,796 of 149,184
For someone not familiar with audio players, settings and plug-ins Foobar is a no go monster that looks and works like a bad Linux fork.
Try something simple plug and play like Musicbee. Also 100% free.
Windows media player always goes through the resample to 48 kHz machine and will not play at the downloaded bit depth and sample rate.
Time for you to come by and explain all this to me.
Oh and... that bottle of excellent wipsie you gave me is finished......

Oct 18, 2020 at 11:35 AM Post #65,797 of 149,184
There are also a lot of skins for FooBar, so you can easily change the interface.
settings

My preferred interface
foobar.png

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2020 at 12:08 PM Post #65,798 of 149,184
Time for you to come by and explain all this to me.
Oh and... that bottle of excellent wipsie you gave me is finished......
New stock is available.

wipsie.jpg

Traveling by train and bus, not now thank you. Sorry.

Oct 18, 2020 at 1:02 PM Post #65,801 of 149,184
As I said:
looks and works like a bad Linux fork
Tried it several times, but gave up. Nothing there others can't do and waaaaay too much work to get there.
Maybe improved a little over the years, but it is still a geek interface to get things working.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2020 at 5:11 PM Post #65,804 of 149,184
Yep. Started programming for money in 1980, still like the look for things like this

:grimacing: Glad I'm not the only, um, well-seasoned person around here that still finds comfort in a DOS prompt.

DOS 1.1 was the first of the memory hogs, requiring a whopping 250 more bytes of system memory than DOS 1.0 (and yes, that's bytes without a K, M, or G preceding). :grinning:

DOS 1.1.jpg

Oct 18, 2020 at 5:13 PM Post #65,805 of 149,184
You better not be caught rolling NOS tubes with these new fancy music players!!!

Old players sound better with those old NOS tubes than these "in vogue" music players!!!

LOL!

Alex

New players sound better with those old tubes too. :grinning::grinning:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back