Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 15, 2020 at 7:23 PM Post #65,731 of 148,591
No, it's too damn depressing. :wink:

Even though it will depress me too, now I'm curious...

But look at the bright side. You could have dumped your shares when Gil Amelio was running the place.

EDIT: OK, I did the math. If you had exercised your options for 1000 shares when you left Apple in 1984, today you would own 224,000 shares (through multiple splits), and you would have earned a total of $1,085,980 in dividends over the years. Although Apple has not declared its next quarterly dividend after their recent 4-for-1 split, assuming it'll be 21 cents per share, you'd be getting a check for $47,040 in mid-November.

Now *that's* the power of compounding (what Einstein supposedly called the 8th Wonder of the World).

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2020 at 7:48 PM Post #65,733 of 148,591
I have one of the former now and used to have one of the latter. Great service with both, but I had lots more experience with Mercedez as the car visited the dealership every 3 months or so to fix the next thing that broke. Most unreliable car I've ever owned, surpassing even the Chevy Vega I had in my youth. :sweat:

13 year old CLK V6 here, 2 visits for regular service in the last 3 years since it gets driven less nowadays and is sort of retired. Mind you, it has both Service A and B done on time as any neglect does affect these cars much worse than an ordinary car.

Oct 15, 2020 at 8:21 PM Post #65,740 of 148,591
Even though it will depress me too, now I'm curious...

But look at the bright side. You could have dumped your shares when Gil Amelio was running the place.

EDIT: OK, I did the math. If you had exercised your options for 1000 shares when you left Apple in 1984, today you would own 224,000 shares (through multiple splits), and you would have earned a total of $1,085,980 in dividends over the years. Although Apple has not declared its next quarterly dividend after their recent 4-for-1 split, assuming it'll be 21 cents per share, you'd be getting a check for $47,040 in mid-November.

Now *that's* the power of compounding (what Einstein supposedly called the 8th Wonder of the World).

Not to mention that with today's closing price, selling those 224,000 shares would net over $27 million. That would buy a lot of Schiit. :laughing: :laughing:

Oct 15, 2020 at 8:24 PM Post #65,741 of 148,591
Heck, they even made Fiat worse.

Fiats were fun quirky hatchbacks that were cheap to run. My dad made his own "Abarth" edition Fiat Palio with good old engine fettling and some forced induction.

It was proof you didn't need a million hp to have fun. Custom manifolds for both intake and exhaust, shaved heads, hotter cam, some forged internals and a small low pressure turbo to keep things on the boil over the rev range plus upgraded suspension and brakes.

I still dream of building a hotted up Punto or fanging around in an Abarth/EssEss 500.

The 500 is the type of car that ANYONE looks cool in. Age, sex, social status et al crumble before that car. An 18 year old male fanging it around like a hooligan or an 80 year old granny driving to church both draw a smile when they are driving that car.

Oct 15, 2020 at 8:32 PM Post #65,745 of 148,591
13 year old CLK V6 here, 2 visits for regular service in the last 3 years since it gets driven less nowadays and is sort of retired. Mind you, it has both Service A and B done on time as any neglect does affect these cars much worse than an ordinary car.

I never had to take that one ('01 C240) in for maintenance. It was already there. :laughing: :laughing:

Seriously, didn't mean to pooh-pooh the brand. I just had a lemon. I'm sure Lexus has their share of them too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back