Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 14, 2020 at 2:17 PM Post #65,656 of 148,604
But why o why did they remove magsafe from the Macbooks? It was the best feature ever. This, and the fact that I had keyboard and screen problems with my last Macbook, were the reasons I did not buy another Apple product.
Because they replaced it in 2015 or 16 with USB-C. I have no opinion of whether it was a wise move or not but it made sense to the brain trust in Cupertino. :)

Oct 14, 2020 at 2:25 PM Post #65,657 of 148,604
Special award to Apple for finally venturing kinda-sorta-a-little-bit out of the land of mediocrity (by reviving the good small phone) while simultaneously sucking by stealing the charger and earbuds. Yeah, I know, e-waste and all that, but a lightning-to-USB-C cable only is a mega dick move in a world still dominated by USB-A chargers.
Apple is in a unique position to nudge the world towards universal usage of USB-C. They already converted iPad and Macs to USB-C, but they release yet another round of iPhones (hundreds of millions) with proprietary Lightning connector. C'mon Apple, you are the only company with enough leverage to make a difference. Do the right thing and help move the world towards USB-C.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2020 at 2:27 PM Post #65,658 of 148,604
Apple is in a unique position to nudge the world towards universal usage of USB-C. They already converted iPad and Macs to USB-C, but they release yet another round of iPhones (hundreds of millions) with proprietary Lightning connector. C'mon Apple, do the right thing and help move the world towards USB-C.

This is the real suckage.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Oct 14, 2020 at 3:25 PM Post #65,659 of 148,604
Oct 14, 2020 at 3:31 PM Post #65,660 of 148,604
Because right here, right now, we have more opportunities to be better than we ever have been.
I feel like this is so true, possibly even more so now with COVID. I mean, musically, I can do stuff that a 7-figure studio could only wish for in the 90s with my laptop and a few thousand dollars of software. And if you really do your research, you could probably get by with less. And now COVID is putting within reach the same access to "live" stream viewing audiences for artists whether you're a multi-platinum superstar or a bedroom upstart like me. Yes, the amateur music scene is probably more competitive than ever, and very difficult to cut through the noise and make a name for yourself because of how low the barrier to entry is, but that doesn't mean there isn't plenty of opportunity there as well.

And as someone who works in accounting to fund the music habit, I think there's plenty of new opportunity there in the business world too. I'm working from home 4.5 days a week now, and all that time I used to pretend being busy in the office and commuting I can actually put toward pursuing my music or bettering myself in other ways (continuing education, exercising, spending more time with the family) - with an open ear on the phone of course. I'm considering starting my own business with all the extra time, much less capital needed right now since I'd have a lot of time to put in. And I'm sure I'm not the only one in this boat right now.

Oct 14, 2020 at 4:14 PM Post #65,661 of 148,604
I feel like this is so true, possibly even more so now with COVID. I mean, musically, I can do stuff that a 7-figure studio could only wish for in the 90s with my laptop and a few thousand dollars of software. And if you really do your research, you could probably get by with less. And now COVID is putting within reach the same access to "live" stream viewing audiences for artists whether you're a multi-platinum superstar or a bedroom upstart like me. Yes, the amateur music scene is probably more competitive than ever, and very difficult to cut through the noise and make a name for yourself because of how low the barrier to entry is, but that doesn't mean there isn't plenty of opportunity there as well.

And as someone who works in accounting to fund the music habit, I think there's plenty of new opportunity there in the business world too. I'm working from home 4.5 days a week now, and all that time I used to pretend being busy in the office and commuting I can actually put toward pursuing my music or bettering myself in other ways (continuing education, exercising, spending more time with the family) - with an open ear on the phone of course. I'm considering starting my own business with all the extra time, much less capital needed right now since I'd have a lot of time to put in. And I'm sure I'm not the only one in this boat right now.

Pro: the barriers are down.
Con: everyone's at the party.
Takeaway: you really gotta stand out.

Yes, you will irritate some people by standing out. From the first chapter: it's not about getting everyone to like you, it's about getting some people to love you.

Corollary: there's more than one way to stand out. Consider unexpected opportunities.

Last edited:

Oct 14, 2020 at 4:17 PM Post #65,662 of 148,604
Oct 14, 2020 at 4:24 PM Post #65,663 of 148,604
Don't read if you don't want spoilers for Netflix's American Barbecue Showdown (think Great British Baking Show, but on acid, meth, and roids--which, just as a passing thought, they should totally do a crossover between these two shows...it would be epic), but to muse a bit on "standing out," it's disappointing that the two contestants with the most character were the ones who fell first to the joyless, sour-faced judges. I'd rather eat at a restaurant helmed by Shotgun or Boatright than any of the other contestants, just because it would be about ten thousand times more fun. Of course, this is a battle of the gatekeepers and the personalities, and of course, I'm coming down on the side of the personalities...I mean, again, our company name is Schiit, so there you go.

Last edited:

Oct 14, 2020 at 4:36 PM Post #65,664 of 148,604
Don't read if you don't want spoilers for Netflix's American Barbecue Showdown (think Great British Baking Show, but on acid, meth, and roids--which, just as a passing thought, they should totally do a crossover between these two shows...it would be epic), but to muse a bit on "standing out," it's disappointing that the two contestants with the most character were the ones who fell first to the joyless, sour-faced judges. I'd rather eat at a restaurant helmed by Shotgun or Boatright than any of the other contestants, just because it would be about ten thousand times more fun. Of course, this is a battle of the gatekeepers and the personalities, and of course, I'm coming down on the side of the personalities...I mean, again, our company name is Schiit, so there you go.
My wife and I just finished watching this show and we were so bummed that Shotgun got let go at the first episode. To be honest, I can't remember what he cooked or why his meal "failed" in the judges' opinion. But, he was so fun to watch on that first episode.

Oct 14, 2020 at 6:14 PM Post #65,665 of 148,604
Special award to Apple for finally venturing kinda-sorta-a-little-bit out of the land of mediocrity (by reviving the good small phone) while simultaneously sucking by stealing the charger and earbuds. Yeah, I know, e-waste and all that, but a lightning-to-USB-C cable only is a mega dick move in a world still dominated by USB-A chargers.

Seriously, when you're that successful and make that much money, why do you continue to care about squeezing out as many dollars as possible? What's the point? Just to keep score? What can you accomplish with 1.5 trillion dollars that you can't do with 1 trillion?

Oct 14, 2020 at 6:18 PM Post #65,666 of 148,604
I have never watched that show but yea, I'd eat BBQ from a place run by a dude named Shotgun. It would probably be great!

Oct 14, 2020 at 6:21 PM Post #65,667 of 148,604
Seriously, when you're that successful and make that much money, why do you continue to care about squeezing out as many dollars as possible? What's the point? Just to keep score? What can you accomplish with 1.5 trillion dollars that you can't do with 1 trillion?
You'd have 500 billion more dollars, of course. But seriously, I am reminded of a saying from Steve Jobs that (paraphrased) went something like, "Never give the people what they want, give them what they don't yet know they want."

Oct 14, 2020 at 6:33 PM Post #65,668 of 148,604
4 simple letters that make up one very ugly word... G R E E D...

Oct 14, 2020 at 6:38 PM Post #65,669 of 148,604
From a psychological standpoint, gluttony for food and money are the same thing. Both are pathological. I hope that helps you understand it.

Oct 14, 2020 at 6:49 PM Post #65,670 of 148,604
re: Apple's greed. The job of a public company in America is to make as much money as possible for its shareholders. Very different from a private company like Schiit, which can be free to do whatever its owners want to do. This is why if Schiit ever did become a public company I'll invest in it, but I really hope they don't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back