Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 19, 2020 at 7:49 AM Post #65,041 of 148,514
Back in 1976, a fellow Engineering undergrad in the same year as me at University, built a car with a Rolls Royce Merlin engine.
That's been done more times than I would have thought! Some are better looking than others for sure. RR1.jpegRR2.jpeg
RR3.jpeg
RR4.jpeg

Sep 19, 2020 at 8:14 AM Post #65,042 of 148,514
What an engine! It is indeed a thing of beauty :thumbsup:
Back in 1976, a fellow Engineering undergrad in the same year as me at University, built a car with a Rolls Royce Merlin engine.
It literally spat fire :relaxed:
He dropped out of University at the end of the first year, as he was far more interested in madcap projects like this than Engineering theory:beyersmile:

Here's one running...

Sep 19, 2020 at 8:23 AM Post #65,043 of 148,514
Sep 19, 2020 at 8:37 AM Post #65,044 of 148,514
Sep 19, 2020 at 8:58 AM Post #65,045 of 148,514
Sep 19, 2020 at 10:45 AM Post #65,046 of 148,514
Yep! It will still be the most complex product we make, with 64 relays and over 600 parts.
After a good night's sleep a realized this answer regarding the Loki maxi implies that development is farther than I thought.
Now I will lose coming night's sleep out of excitement.
So there it is. Everything is balanced.

Sep 19, 2020 at 10:59 AM Post #65,048 of 148,514
Fun to see those pics of Merlin-engined buses cars. The practice of putting aircraft engines into cars goes back more than a century. More is always better, right? Dunno if kids still read Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (or are shown the movie,) but the inspiration was a trio of real cars built in England by a Count who apparently had more money (and balls) than brains.

Totally get the appeal of a top-loading CD transport/player. Using my old Rega Apollo was a ritual akin to spinning an LP. The display was especially idiosyncratic. On powering up it would say "Rega Apollo" as if I needed reminding of what I'd spent all that money on. Pop the lid and it would say "Open." Well, duh. Only a blind person wouldn't know the thing was open. And that blind person wouldn't be able to read the display. Another product of Old Blighty.

Sep 19, 2020 at 12:49 PM Post #65,049 of 148,514
Fun to see those pics of Merlin-engined buses cars. The practice of putting aircraft engines into cars goes back more than a century.
Nowadays the Experimental Aircraft community (aviophiles?) likes to put car engines into airplanes.

Sep 19, 2020 at 2:13 PM Post #65,050 of 148,514
That's been done more times than I would have thought! Some are better looking than others for sure.RR1.jpegRR2.jpeg
RR3.jpegRR4.jpeg
The first two photos are of the same car. The story is that Rolls Royce objected to the guy using an original RR radiator grill so he had to change it, which you can just make out in the top picture!

Sep 19, 2020 at 2:51 PM Post #65,052 of 148,514
Sep 19, 2020 at 2:59 PM Post #65,053 of 148,514
They are not the only brand spewing that garbage. USB audio does not have error detection or retransmit, so a very bad source clock could cause it to drop bits, but any reasonable digital designer can make a USB transmitter with the kind of clocks you have on any PC circuit that won't drop bits. Better clocks than that are a waste for USB audio, although they are relevant to synchronous transmission (S/PDIF and especially I2S). USB audio used to be meh for different reasons: switching and power noise from the source that leaked down the USB cable into the DAC, and mediocre USB receivers. Unison does a great job alleviating the first issue and fixing the second.

Any mildly skilled DIYer can put together a nice source with a Pi, open-source software, and, if S/PDIF, AES, or I2S are desired, something like the Pi2AES. All the parts come to around $200, a bit more with a screen. Maybe if I ever retire (not planning to anytime soon) I'll set up a small assembly operation for these to help non-DIYers :wink:. The attached picture shows an assembly consisting of a Pi2AES, a Pi 3B, a PiTouch 7" screen in Pi2Design's plexiglass case, running moOde in standalone mode with a 2TB Samsung USB SSD for the music (by far the most expensive part of the whole thing). Cost for the other parts: Pi2AES $149, case $35, 24V Mean Well power supply (not shown) $30, Pi 3B $35, touchscreen $80, microSD card for moOde $10. Of course, if you only need USB and no screen, a simpler Pi assembly will do.
moOde.JPG
I picked up a USB 3 media adapter for my iDevices. I’m very pleased with the results (an absurdly overpowered Pi device). When its novelty wears out, I might DIY.. This fantastic blog outlined how I could assemble a little streamer.

Sep 19, 2020 at 3:34 PM Post #65,054 of 148,514
Fun to see those pics of Merlin-engined buses cars. The practice of putting aircraft engines into cars goes back more than a century. More is always better, right? Dunno if kids still read Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (or are shown the movie,) but the inspiration was a trio of real cars built in England by a Count who apparently had more money (and balls) than brains.

Totally get the appeal of a top-loading CD transport/player. Using my old Rega Apollo was a ritual akin to spinning an LP. The display was especially idiosyncratic. On powering up it would say "Rega Apollo" as if I needed reminding of what I'd spent all that money on. Pop the lid and it would say "Open." Well, duh. Only a blind person wouldn't know the thing was open. And that blind person wouldn't be able to read the display. Another product of Old Blighty.
I like the simplicity of a top loader; no drawer or slot mechanism, but I am confident Mike will use a robust mechanism.

Nice top loaders include transports from Jay’s Audio and CEC.
Both are very expensive.
I’m hoping Mike’s will be far more reasonably priced....:beyersmile:

Jays’s CDT 2
https://www.jays-audio.com/

CEC TL5 ( unusual belt drive)
http://www.cec-web.co.jp/service/download/document/catalog/TL5_ENG_Catalog_w.pdf

Users who are viewing this thread

Back