Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 10, 2020 at 6:06 AM Post #64,576 of 145,694
I pay €19/month for 500Mbit/s download and 50Mbit/s upload.
That includes a cable modem/router and taxes.
Then another €19/month for mobile phone including unlimited speech and messaging and 50Gb data which I never use and 100 minutes long distance calling.

I just realized that streaming is much cheaper in the EU than in the US because of those impossible prices.
Roughly, no actually, way cheaper than Oz too. Probably 30% or less of the cost down here for that level of internet.

Sep 10, 2020 at 7:53 AM Post #64,577 of 145,694
Then another €19/month for mobile phone including unlimited speech and messaging and 50Gb data which I never use and 100 minutes long distance calling.

I just realized that streaming is much cheaper in the EU than in the US because of those impossible prices.

I pay £24/month for 15Mbps download and 0.8 Mbps upload. The price includes router and cables.
If there was a proper fibre connection to my home, the speeds using the same ISP, would be around 50Mbps and 15Mbps respectively, for the same price.
Despite assurances from the UK Government to get everyone connected to high speed internet with Fibre optic cable, rural areas are at the bottom of the list for the network provider, Open Reach, which is part of BT Plc.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2020 at 8:10 AM Post #64,578 of 145,694
1599739714295.png

This is Fios pricing in the Northeast (USA) The cheapest option has been serving us well for the last year. We rarely have any slow downs on the network which has been great! Bonus is you can use any wifi router you want and not have to pay their fees for gear.

Sep 10, 2020 at 9:05 AM Post #64,580 of 145,694
I seriously am wondering - other than simply inflating the price, what on earth could cause an amp to cost $180,000??? Solid Martian-mined smelted ore frame? Insulation made from composite shreds of the only paper revealing Jimmy Hoffa's location? CEOs who love their condor egg omelettes? Well, that last one is just price inflation...but seriously. Is there a valid justification for the price, or is it just massively inflated?

Some years ago I went on a tour of the Boulder Amp factory in Boulder, CO. They make some of the highly priced gear on the list, and in the audio world.

The friendly gentleman conducting the tour was praising the innards of a big power amp- large transformer, capacitors like oil drums, and a detailed explanation of the custom designed and built amp modules. He acknowledged that they built their kit in this manner because wealthy Asian audiophiles do not think something is good unless it is the most expensive.

While his explanation had an overt racial tinge, there was likely a certain truth in it, in that some people truly do believe that price = performance.

Once we got into the listening room, adorned with giant and pricey speakers, I was drawn to the McIntosh disc spinner. One older couple on the tour was unimpressed by the sound of the system, with the woman voicing her opinion out loud. I though the sound was entirely uninteresting, and was happy to know my far less expensive set-up rivaled a big dollar system.

Moral of the story- aiming for sound quality does not need to put you in the poor house. If it puts you in a pour house all the better.

PS- We don't talk about Jimmy. All I can say is that he was involved in a construction accident in Secaucus when an end zone fell on him.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2020 at 12:59 PM Post #64,582 of 145,694

You are no longer allowed to post via the internet, it makes the rest of us feel bad. You may only post via traditional post. Address your letters to Denise and she'll upload them. At 2 Mbps.
:grinning: Now those people that spend thousands on a bicycle, or tens of thousands on a camera, or hundreds of thousands on a boat, or millions on some undecipherable paint blob to hang on the wall, or even $20 on Texas BBQ...now those folks are insane. $800 for a high quality audio component suddenly becomes the definition of sanity. :smile:
:rage: :rage: :rage:
But I am willing to pay $800 for high quality audio components, so I suppose I'm only half insane?
Great idea about the livestream, @Jason Stoddard !

I'll go ahead and submit a few questions to Denise :)

However, 4 P.M. PST is midnight where I live, so I won't be able to watch the livestream. Like @AudioGal , I too hope the livestream will be recorded and made available on some platform afterward.
You're part of the group of nuts who spends more on head phones than on morning coffee and you won't stay up past midnight?

Haven't heard about that beer in awhile. Brings back college memories (Louisiana). Used to be the go-to step up from Bud Light or Miller.
There are precious few steps down from Bud Light or Miller. I can think of one from Texas, and another (ironically named) from Milwaukee. I'd include the big company from Golden, CO, but I don't recognize that as beer.

Sep 10, 2020 at 1:09 PM Post #64,583 of 145,694
For highest wifi performance, run the second access point with an ethernet backhaul. Google WiFi doesn't have ethernet backhaul capability (some products from Netgear, Amplifi and others do). Next in performance is a mesh network that runs wireless backhaul on a dedicated channel (Google Wifi doesn't do this).
I can get quite decent performance 874/839 via wired and 100/45 (which seems much poorer than I have seen before) wireless using Eero mesh network.

Sep 10, 2020 at 1:10 PM Post #64,584 of 145,694
I can think of at least two Texas beers that are a step down from Bud Light & Miller - Pearl and Lone Star. Both undrinkable IMO.

Sep 10, 2020 at 1:13 PM Post #64,585 of 145,694
There are precious few steps down from Bud Light or Miller. I can think of one from Texas, and another (ironically named) from Milwaukee. I'd include the big company from Golden, CO, but I don't recognize that as beer.
Haha. Pabst Blue Ribbon from Milwaukee. Yeah. Totally agree it's a step down from Bud Light or Miller.

Sep 10, 2020 at 1:15 PM Post #64,586 of 145,694
i live in a very rural area, but our co-op is very good on providing quality services. Entire co-op network has fiber.

I just ran a speed test.

38.2 mbp down, 49.3 mbps up, 4 ms ping, 0 jitter.

I'm on the base plan (50mb), about 85 dollars a month including landline.

Speeds up to 1 gig available.

Sep 10, 2020 at 1:22 PM Post #64,587 of 145,694
I can think of at least two Texas beers that are a step down from Bud Light & Miller - Pearl and Lone Star. Both undrinkable IMO.

Some beers exists only to remind us how good Bud Light and Miller are in comparison.

Sep 10, 2020 at 1:29 PM Post #64,588 of 145,694
I was thinking specifically of Pearl, a cult favorite (I think because it is bad) at the first company I worked for. I'm not sure I've ever had a Lone Star.
Haha. Pabst Blue Ribbon from Milwaukee. Yeah. Totally agree it's a step down from Bud Light or Miller.
I was thinking of Milwaukee's Best (aka Mils Beast). I didn't drink PBR that often, but thought it was better than other cheap college beer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back