Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 9, 2020 at 9:00 PM Post #64,561 of 148,505
SchittrMeets in the Age of COVID
Part One: Wednesday, September 16, 4PM

Okay, so how do we do one of the best things we've ever done--the Schiitrmeets--as this whole COVID thing drags on? I mean, yeah, the Schiitr is open, with all the proper procedures in place, but it's not like I can say, "Hey guys, why don't we all meet there for a blind listening of Sol vs Yggdrasil or Bifrost 2 vs a Play-Skool plastic cassette deck or Magnius vs a 7-band, "300W" car equalizer from the 1980s."

I figured: maybe let's do something on video. Not blind listening, of course, but maybe me yammering about whatever questions you might have. (And eventually, Mike, Alex, Tyler, Tony, you know, the guys who also make things happen here, or whoever else we might be able to rope in.)

So that's what we're gonna do: we'll do a livestream every third Wednesday or so from the Schiitr, with just me, Brian from Audio-Head.com, and Denise (our marketing wrangler here at Schiit), some of your questions, and maybe a bottle of wine or a growler of beer. We can take some questions in advance, and follow-up with some in real-time.

Sound good? Cool. Then we're set for Wednesday, September 16, at 4PM PST!

If you want to submit questions, you can do so in this thread, or email them to denise@schiit.com. This will be a livestream on our Facebook site, and I'm sure it'll be archived so you can watch it later. However, if you have more technical questions about setup, etc, you should take them up with Denise. I'm just there for the wine...er, I mean, the questions...

Hope to talk to you soon! (And hope to get back to meeting in person at some point before the heat death of the universe.)

All the best,
Jason

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Sep 9, 2020 at 9:54 PM Post #64,563 of 148,505
It's properly setup, the wifi access point is pretty much in the middle of the house and the room that I need wifi in is right next to that room, like 30 feet away. I even setup a google mesh network and it wouldn't go over 200 Mbps, so I just ran a cable to it, bam 1Gbps...
For highest wifi performance, run the second access point with an ethernet backhaul. Google WiFi doesn't have ethernet backhaul capability (some products from Netgear, Amplifi and others do). Next in performance is a mesh network that runs wireless backhaul on a dedicated channel (Google Wifi doesn't do this).

Sep 9, 2020 at 10:09 PM Post #64,564 of 148,505
For highest wifi performance, run the second access point with an ethernet backhaul. Google WiFi doesn't have ethernet backhaul capability (some products from Netgear, Amplifi and others do). Next in performance is a mesh network that runs wireless backhaul on a dedicated channel (Google Wifi doesn't do this).

Google Wifi does have ethernet backhaul capability. It's also a wireless mesh network. Are you thinking of a different product?

Edit: just noticed you said wireless backhaul on a dedicated channel. Google wifi does not do this, you are correct there.

Sep 9, 2020 at 10:39 PM Post #64,566 of 148,505
Sep 9, 2020 at 11:06 PM Post #64,567 of 148,505
I stand corrected. I was thinking of the newer Nest Wifi (which replaced Google Wifi), which doesn't have ethernet backhaul. I guess they went backwards on features!

What. I didn't know the newer Nest wifi lacked ethernet backhaul. What a bizarre move. I guess I could see many people not utilizing that feature, but it can't be that hard or expensive to include it. Instead we got wifi points that are always listening to you.

Sep 9, 2020 at 11:28 PM Post #64,568 of 148,505
I stand corrected. I was thinking of the newer Nest Wifi (which replaced Google Wifi), which doesn't have ethernet backhaul. I guess they went backwards on features!
My tplink mesh gives me all of the 400MBps I pay for over wifi with two of the three wired... no complaints.

Sep 9, 2020 at 11:47 PM Post #64,569 of 148,505
SchittrMeets in the Age of COVID
Part One: Wednesday, September 16, 4PM

Okay, so how do we do one of the best things we've ever done--the Schiitrmeets--as this whole COVID thing drags on? I mean, yeah, the Schiitr is open, with all the proper procedures in place, but it's not like I can say, "Hey guys, why don't we all meet there for a blind listening of Sol vs Yggdrasil or Bifrost 2 vs a Play-Skool plastic cassette deck or Magnius vs a 7-band, "300W" car equalizer from the 1980s."

I figured: maybe let's do something on video. Not blind listening, of course, but maybe me yammering about whatever questions you might have. (And eventually, Mike, Alex, Tyler, Tony, you know, the guys who also make things happen here, or whoever else we might be able to rope in.)

So that's what we're gonna do: we'll do a livestream every third Wednesday or so from the Schiitr, with just me, Brian from Audio-Head.com, and Denise (our marketing wrangler here at Schiit), some of your questions, and maybe a bottle of wine or a growler of beer. We can take some questions in advance, and follow-up with some in real-time.

Sound good? Cool. Then we're set for Wednesday, September 16, at 4PM PST!

If you want to submit questions, you can do so in this thread, or email them to denise@schiit.com. This will be a livestream on our Facebook site, and I'm sure it'll be archived so you can watch it later. However, if you have more technical questions about setup, etc, you should take them up with Denise. I'm just there for the wine...er, I mean, the questions...

Hope to talk to you soon! (And hope to get back to meeting in person at some point before the heat death of the universe.)

All the best,
Jason
Crap. That's my bowling night. Please tell us you'll record these and put them up on Youtube or someplace.

Sep 10, 2020 at 12:49 AM Post #64,571 of 148,505
I'm paying for 200 mbps cable. It's usually not this fast. :rolling_eyes: :rolling_eyes: It's better than AT&T Uverse though where I was paying for 25 mbps and getting 5 mbps tops if I was the only one at home and if all the neighbors were on vacation and if I held the laptop in exactly the right orientation exactly 3.3 feet from the router...

1599713366002.png

This is wired on my work desktop, I ran one of my laptops about 3 feet from the router on wireless and got 507 down.

This is what I had, I'm not too concerned about it now as it's hardwired and runs full speed all the time...

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2020 at 2:25 AM Post #64,572 of 148,505
CarlosAudio51 asked and the bottom quote shows the link to where they came from...
Where did you get these?
Finally found the right knob for my Freya, so I can actually see the position. :grinning:

Full aluminium knob with red rubber ring and clear black level indicator from China. Available in aluminium and black. Exactly the right diameter, height and shaft.
https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/30x2...494.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.5ca84c4dBIkkJI

Sep 10, 2020 at 4:46 AM Post #64,574 of 148,505
Speaking of internet speed and latency, heard an expert saying the new 5G would be faster than cable. Said cable and satellite knew it and was actually investing in 5G. Is 5G going to be faster than cable? I live in the sticks - cable is never coming. Living with slow DSL now. A cell tower is only 1.5 miles away. Expert also said 5G can brought into a home cheaper than any cable. Obviously that doesn't mean they would charge less. Sure would be nice to stream hi res.

Thanks.
I can't speak to exactly your situation, but I was on an ADSL2+ connection running around 15mbps until we had to move to a fixed wireless "broadband" connection as part of the great National Broadband roll-out in Oz. As we are rural, we had no option for fibre so the fixed wireless of 25 or 50mbps seemed on paper to be an improvement. Probably is during low load on the network generally, but it was heavily oversubscribed so evening and weekends had peak speeds under 1mbps frequently. Long story short, I scrapped it and went 4G data via a fixed base modem with a SIM card, and can now reliably hit 100mbps, with peak numbers still usually above 70mbps. Pings sub 20ms. 5G is supposed be better again so I will in the queue as soon as they upgrade our local tower.

Can you get cell data plans from that tower? What data rate can you get on your phone?

Sep 10, 2020 at 5:03 AM Post #64,575 of 148,505
I'm a lucky guy I live in a rural area but recently they have installed FTTH (fiber to the home). Never thought it would ever happen in my neighborhood.
Look at that speed and eat your heart out. :beyersmile:

look at the LATENCY!

fast (2).jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back