Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 9, 2020 at 4:45 PM Post #64,547 of 148,975
:beyersmile::beyersmile::beyersmile: That's funny.

I wouldn't be surprised if there have been refinements. I was very curious about the Halo JC-1s when they were introduced since they were favorably compared to gear which at the time cost much more. I think the original price was $6,000 per pair? Perhaps you could sell your pair and buy some Schiit amp stands:
https://www.audiogon.com/listings?q=halo+jc1

Seriously, you don't use them at all anymore?
The JC1+ does have a LOT of updates, but I don't believe it was enough to almost double the $$$ If I'm spending that much I'm getting Pass... I still use them a couple months of the year when I don't need to run the Heat/AC they add a little over $50 to my electric bill a month when I'm using them. I was in the process of trading them in when Covid hit, I'll eventually move them, I'm just not in a hurry to...

Sep 9, 2020 at 4:48 PM Post #64,548 of 148,975
Insane? I'd take that in a millisecond if I could. You don't want to know what I have to pay for 100 Mbps down/10 Mbps up via dual bonded DSL, and it's the best I can get in my area.

Sep 9, 2020 at 4:48 PM Post #64,549 of 148,975
You can get much better performance with a proper WiFi setup, beginning with simple things like where you position your WiFi access point.
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/202...ntific-guide-to-wi-fi-access-point-placement/
It's properly setup, the wifi access point is pretty much in the middle of the house and the room that I need wifi in is right next to that room, like 30 feet away. I even setup a google mesh network and it wouldn't go over 200 Mbps, so I just ran a cable to it, bam 1Gbps...

Sep 9, 2020 at 4:53 PM Post #64,550 of 148,975
It's properly setup, the wifi access point is pretty much in the middle of the house and the room that I need wifi in is right next to that room, like 30 feet away. I even setup a google mesh network and it wouldn't go over 200 Mbps, so I just ran a cable to it, bam 1Gbps...
Mesh is better for range but typically is not as fast. Unless you have the latest standard, don’t expect to get more than 500 mbps wireless.

Sep 9, 2020 at 5:08 PM Post #64,551 of 148,975
Those prices are insane.
You should live in a rural US area where subscriber density is low. I pay US$120 per month for bonded DSL at 10Mb [mostly], long latency, and an IMAP mail server that takes minutes to download your email, and rejects many of my shared posts with the reason "too many email recipients". Windstream is the absolute bottom of the ISP barrel, my only options are satellite [too expensive], cell phone network [about the same speed until many users get on, then sow--even though the Verizon tower is 1.5 Kilometers from me]. No ISP will invest in an area that has low subscriber density unless you pay for the infrastructure, like $10K for fiber optic access.

Sep 9, 2020 at 5:25 PM Post #64,552 of 148,975
Seems quite reasonable for the USA. We paid (proportionately) more for much slower service (and caps) in CA.

How much is a similar service in Europe?
I pay €19/month for 500Mbit/s download and 50Mbit/s upload.
That includes a cable modem/router and taxes.
Then another €19/month for mobile phone including unlimited speech and messaging and 50Gb data which I never use and 100 minutes long distance calling.

I just realized that streaming is much cheaper in the EU than in the US because of those impossible prices.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2020 at 5:27 PM Post #64,553 of 148,975
Seems quite reasonable for the USA. We paid (proportionately) more for much slower service (and caps) in CA.

How much is a similar service in Europe?
Less than half.
I just checked with my brother who has the same glass-speeds as @wout31 and he pays €55/month

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2020 at 6:09 PM Post #64,554 of 148,975
I pay €19/month for 500Mbit/s download and 50Mbit/s upload.
That includes a cable modem/router and taxes.
Then another €19/month for mobile phone including unlimited speech and messaging and 50Gb data which I never use and 100 minutes long distance calling.

I just realized that streaming is much cheaper in the EU than in the US because of those impossible prices.
One of the benefits of the EU, especially cell phone prices. I switched form Verizon which was costing $170 per month for a family three pack with 12GB per month of data.

Sep 9, 2020 at 6:46 PM Post #64,555 of 148,975
You should live in a rural US area where subscriber density is low. I pay US$120 per month for bonded DSL at 10Mb [mostly], long latency, and an IMAP mail server that takes minutes to download your email, and rejects many of my shared posts with the reason "too many email recipients". Windstream is the absolute bottom of the ISP barrel, my only options are satellite [too expensive], cell phone network [about the same speed until many users get on, then sow--even though the Verizon tower is 1.5 Kilometers from me]. No ISP will invest in an area that has low subscriber density unless you pay for the infrastructure, like $10K for fiber optic access.
Rural. Yeah... Similar situation for me. Up until 3 months ago I was at 1.5 Mbps down, 0.5 Mbps up over DSL, $50/month. It was terrible. Then they decided to upgrade the "neighborhood" to bonded DSL at 30 down/10 up, same price.
Were it not for the upgrade, I'd still be stuck in the stone age with the only alternative being satellite (pricey with ridiculously low data caps) or cellphone (basically get no/very little signal at home).

Sep 9, 2020 at 7:06 PM Post #64,556 of 148,975
Though i gotta tell ya', most of the people I know think even $800 for an Amp isn't quite sane either!

True that. :smile:

Sanity is somewhat subjective I suppose. For instance, I consider myself to be reasonably sane but I have this weird feeling some others might disagree. :grimacing:

Sep 9, 2020 at 7:26 PM Post #64,558 of 148,975
Probably not most of us here though! 😁

:grinning: Now those people that spend thousands on a bicycle, or tens of thousands on a camera, or hundreds of thousands on a boat, or millions on some undecipherable paint blob to hang on the wall, or even $20 on Texas BBQ...now those folks are insane. $800 for a high quality audio component suddenly becomes the definition of sanity. :smile:

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2020 at 7:34 PM Post #64,559 of 148,975
Mesh is better for range but typically is not as fast. Unless you have the latest standard, don’t expect to get more than 500 mbps wireless.
The most I ever saw with it was mid 200's which was why I returned it, that's what I was getting with just the router and it's like a foot from being line of sight.

Sep 9, 2020 at 7:46 PM Post #64,560 of 148,975
I'm a lucky guy I live in a rural area but recently they have installed FTTH (fiber to the home). Never thought it would ever happen in my neighborhood.
Look at that speed and eat your heart out. :beyersmile:

speed.jpg

I'm paying for 200 mbps cable. It's usually not this fast. :rolling_eyes: :rolling_eyes: It's better than AT&T Uverse though where I was paying for 25 mbps and getting 5 mbps tops if I was the only one at home and if all the neighbors were on vacation and if I held the laptop in exactly the right orientation exactly 3.3 feet from the router...

1599694956422.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back