Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 12, 2020 at 8:16 AM Post #63,061 of 148,489
Aug 12, 2020 at 8:46 AM Post #63,062 of 148,489
Early negatives:

1. No Silver
  2. Lower power on SE side (Gee only 2 watts at 32 ohms!! vs 5 watts!!)
  3. Small knob
Positives:

1. $199 great spec, powerful balanced amp with superlative ALPS balanced pot…
  2. Black
  3. Matching small knob
  4. Better switchgear
  5. Designed and built in USA

Any others?

Positives:
2b. The volume knob is also black! :smiley:

Negatives (ok, not really):
The gain switch is on the front !?
What is the world coming to? :scream::upside_down:

Aug 12, 2020 at 8:59 AM Post #63,063 of 148,489
Can't wait to hear impressions between asgard 3 and magnius. Asgard 3 was already a great amp for 200. Having the balanced bifrost 2 paired with asgard 3 for me meant no use of balanced, but I really liked the pairing anyways.

I would pair at least a Mjolnir with the BF2...

Aug 12, 2020 at 9:25 AM Post #63,065 of 148,489
I agree. It's the best sounding and ugliest DAC I ever had.
Funny... :L3000:
"1000x lower" = "X * .001"
That's cheating, you're multiplying by 0.001, not 1000...
History of audio:
1880-1960s - everything was wood
1970s - silver metal became edgy (with wood grain endcaps), silver eventually became the norm
1980s - black was edgy and eventually became the norm
late1990s - silver was edgy, and eventually became the norm
late 2010s - black is edgy, and will eventually become the norm (again)
And still no blue anodized face plates...
It's not that it's not understood.
It's not that it's easier to write
It's not that it's easier to say
It's just not right damn it!
Amen.
How would you express the same concept in correct terms?
"...0.1% as much..."
"...1/1000 of the original..."
"...the original has 1000x more..."

To bring this back around to a schiitier topic: "This week I brought home some Guiness draft. The Budweiser I was drinking has three times less character than the Guiness." Or: "This week I brought home some Guiness draft. It has three times more character than the Budweiser I was drinking last week."
oops, sorry I quoted myself. This post is noise. Needs better feedback. :)
Thank you for deleting that post, it was full of 1st order distortion, very un-Pass like.

Aug 12, 2020 at 9:38 AM Post #63,066 of 148,489
I actually still strongly prefer silver...but in this case, it was better to stick with black. The machining of the top and the way the connectors intersect the bends looks a little odd in silver. I have an early unanodized prototype. It's pretty ooogly.
Curse you Jason Stoddard! :smiling_imp: With this delectable Magnius & Modius combination, I have to now devise a way to get a new computer system to run it, and a house or much larger apartment for a place to put it and use it. Why do you do this to me?!? :o2smile:

Aug 12, 2020 at 10:02 AM Post #63,067 of 148,489
Now, get the CD transport out. PS Audio is getting ready to beta test their new CD/SACD transport, and they need some competition! :)

I had not heard about their new CD transport, but I am pretty confident it won't have a Unison USB output :)
Having installed the Unison USB input board in my Yggy A2, the only CD transport I would even consider is Mike's.

Aug 12, 2020 at 10:24 AM Post #63,068 of 148,489
I had not heard about their new CD transport, but I am pretty confident it won't have a Unison USB output :)
Having installed the Unison USB input board in my Yggy A2, the only CD transport I would even consider is Mike's.

You should sign up for Paul's daily blog. He discusses a lot of random topics, at times, but he also announces new gear in the posts. Paul also recruits beta testers there too. PS Audio reminds me of Schiit in many ways, especially since they do things their own way. I favor Schiit, but PS Audio seems worthy too.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2020 at 10:27 AM Post #63,069 of 148,489
Hey Jason, there appears to be a typo in Magnius power consumption specs. As in it should be higher than what is listed, since balanced output maximum power into 16 ohms is 6.0W RMS per channel. Once again kudos to you and the entire schiit team for Magnius.

Aug 12, 2020 at 10:35 AM Post #63,070 of 148,489
"Champaign" was coming in third all those years.
You reminded me of a small outfit, maybe one man, in the 1990's. In northern California? His first product was a pre-amp. It had wood sides, my memory may fail, but a black? face plate with some interesting highlights in green, magenta? It cost about $1200. I thought it looked cool, precisely because it was not black or silver. Cannot remember the name though of that company. I think he sold direct. Closed down after a decade or so.
Other gear of other color schemes I think I like (thanks to the late Art Dudley):
Leben: champaign with a green stripe at the top bottom of the face plate
Shindo: dark green
I would like to hear about more. Please exclude gaudy and bling if possible.
Quad from the UK always used a very special colour combination. And kept with it for decades. You can recognise Quad gear from a mile away.
quad33.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2020 at 10:44 AM Post #63,071 of 148,489
You should sign up for Paul's daily blog. He discusses a lot of random topics, at times, but he also announces new gear in the posts. Paul also recruits beta testers their too. PS Audio reminds me of Schiit in many ways, especially since they do things their way. I favor Schiit, but PS Audio seems worthy too.

Agree - I have both in my system. They've offered to include me in some of their recent beta tests, but the last thing I need to do is fall in love with a more expensive set of monoblocks or preamps. :)

Aug 12, 2020 at 11:01 AM Post #63,073 of 148,489
You should sign up for Paul's daily blog. He discusses a lot of random topics, at times, but he also announces new gear in the posts. Paul also recruits beta testers their too. PS Audio reminds me of Schiit in many ways, especially since they do things their way. I favor Schiit, but PS Audio seems worthy too.
Thanks @StimpyWan
I have watched a number of the 'Ask Paul' videos and read a few of his blogs, but as yet, I haven't signed up.
He is undoubtedly a very good marketeer and many PS Audio products get favourable reviews.
I have just read his blog from 10th August called 'Rip or Play' about the forthcoming CD transport
His conclusion is: 'The source shouldn't matter. Regardless of whether it streams down from the heavens, is pulled kicking and screaming from a hard drive, or coaxed out of the pits and lands of an optical disc, the differences in sound quality inevitably must be tied to isolation, noise, and jitter'.
That sounds logical to me.
This is why I think that Mike's Unison USB connection between a CD Transport and DAC could place it apart from the competition, based on his extensive experience with all manner of connections, including S/PDIF ( RCA, BNC and AES), I2S and BWD.
From what Mike has said, Unison USB is now the best digital connection available between digital source and DAC.
The proof of the pudding will be in the listening... and for that, it seems we will all have to wait a while longer :beyersmile:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back