Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 28, 2020 at 9:08 AM Post #62,461 of 145,791
Well I'm not up to date. Was looking forward to fixing my old Dead tapes. Well, not the tempo.

No need to fix your old tapes when we have friends who do all the tech work for us.

Jul 28, 2020 at 10:42 AM Post #62,462 of 145,791
Wow. It grows beans? Amazing.

No, but you can pour roasted beans in and get hot coffee out. With today’s technology, however, it’s surely possible to make such a thing, that not only grows the beans, roasts them and makes the coffee but also has a built-in CD transport, streamer, DAC, and headphone amplifier. Just listen to your favourite songs while the beans grow.. :relaxed:

Hey Mike, Jason, scrap the Gadget and build that instead! :dt880smile:

Jul 28, 2020 at 10:48 AM Post #62,463 of 145,791
No, but you can pour roasted beans in and get hot coffee out. With today’s technology, however, it’s surely possible to make such a thing, that not only grows the beans, roasts them and makes the coffee but also has a built-in CD transport, streamer, DAC, and headphone amplifier. Just listen to your favourite songs while the beans grow.. :relaxed:

Gidget! Want passive mode to listen to the beans. :floatsmile:

Jul 28, 2020 at 12:13 PM Post #62,464 of 145,791
Gidget! Want passive mode to listen to the beans. :floatsmile:

From Gadget to Gaggia, it really doesn't take much as far as naming goes

1595952781998.png

Jul 28, 2020 at 1:29 PM Post #62,465 of 145,791

It should drink the coffee too.
Makes drinking coffee much easier.

Jul 28, 2020 at 3:09 PM Post #62,468 of 145,791
Note the preview is nearly three years old. And, alas, the Gadget is discontinued.

The Gadget is not discontinued, it's just taking longer than originally expected. In September 2019 Mike Moffat stated:
...3. Gadget

Hasn’t been much said about the gadget lately, There are a few of reasons it has not yet been released. The best one is that it is not finished yet. So what is not finished? After all, we demoed one a couple of years ago, no? Indeed, we did but the algorithm was written into an Analog Devices DSP processor, a processor unsuited to allow the algorithm to run properly. It was gimped to fit into what we had at the moment. We got lucky because it demoed well. What we really need to do this right is a much faster, non DSP hardware base. The DSP platforms we build now are suitable for digital filter implementation. The gadget’s as well as a couple of other feature type goodies we have built need to run on a much, much faster platforms which are NOT optimized for digital filters.. Much faster than any other processor which will run openBSD.

We have a requirement for a not quite that fast processor for our upcoming transport. The fact that the processor will have some bonus apps and features will require that speed. At that time we will be much closer to the processor requirements for the gadget/signal processor functions.

The summary is that the gadget is NOT killed, only slumbering while we get there hardware-wise.

In December 2019 in his predictions for 2020 Jason Stoddard stated:
...2020 Vision (Yes, I Went There, Barf)
...Direction 1: it’ll be a heavy digital year.
...So what might you expect?
  • Well, directionally, you should ask yourself what happened to the Gadget technology. ...

And finally in March this year Jason and Mike stated, respectively:
...So What Does This Mean For the Future?
...And, no matter the approach, audio can be pushed farther. Maybe a lot farther....
  • Aaaaaaaanndd…there are the entirely new vistas. Is anyone else playing with stuff like The Gadget, with dynamic re-tuning and other functionality to bring entirely new controls to audio? We’re also going fast into some really crazy analog processing functionality. And another trojan-horse-type device that you’ll most likely see this year. We’re actively looking at ways to give you meaningful-but-transparent ways to control the listening experience, regardless of whether you’re a “hard-core tube guy,” or just want “the measurements, please.”...
As many of you may already know, one of the long term planned projects planned at Schiit is a processor box with the horsepower to run schiit stuff such as the gadget, dynamic range expanders, etc. etc. ...

Jul 28, 2020 at 3:35 PM Post #62,469 of 145,791
Off topic from the coffee posts but... here's a pandemic challenge that I posted on a 7 year old thread that might get more traction here - or not. While waiting on a pair of Audeze LCD-2 Classics to ship I'd read all the main LCD-2 threads and started wondering what I initially said about the Mad Dogs sitting on my head right now. I came across this post of mine and realized two things. First, I never came back to update it like I said I would and second, I can't believe how my writing has changed. I still write conversationally but I definitely use less flourish. Cold Corona or cognac?!? I actually don't remember writing that and wouldn't have attributed it to myself. So here's a pandemic challenge for long time Head-fiers. Go back and read and update one of your old posts to reflect how your tastes have or have't changed.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/1st-impressions-of-mad-dog-3-2.673491/#post-15767698

Jul 28, 2020 at 4:09 PM Post #62,470 of 145,791
Off topic from the coffee posts but... here's a pandemic challenge that I posted on a 7 year old thread that might get more traction here - or not. While waiting on a pair of Audeze LCD-2 Classics to ship I'd read all the main LCD-2 threads and started wondering what I initially said about the Mad Dogs sitting on my head right now. I came across this post of mine and realized two things. First, I never came back to update it like I said I would and second, I can't believe how my writing has changed. I still write conversationally but I definitely use less flourish. Cold Corona or cognac?!? I actually don't remember writing that and wouldn't have attributed it to myself. So here's a pandemic challenge for long time Head-fiers. Go back and read and update one of your old posts to reflect how your tastes have or have't changed.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/1st-impressions-of-mad-dog-3-2.673491/#post-15767698
What's the amp on your avatar?

Jul 28, 2020 at 5:43 PM Post #62,475 of 145,791
Apology for the misattribution I made earlier. There is no excuse here.
There should be an excuse here. To @Ableza
Beter still why use his name under a difficult post he did not wright.
It's ballbreaking for those posters whom always read @Ableza's post expecting an intelligent choice to make or not to make.
Misattribution is a planned action and plays havoc with someones good standing.
A clear and honest defence and a lot of "mea culpa, mea maxima culpa" kan bring things back to normal.
After that you can do the 1 hour Abba, 1 hour break, for 4 days of 8 hours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back