Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 23, 2020 at 1:48 PM Post #62,296 of 149,114
OG Mjolnir pulled out of the garage with a Chord Mojo and OG Ethers won it.

Attachments

• 7FC81DBE-EF49-421F-B6BD-0B117AAAAB67.jpeg
    7FC81DBE-EF49-421F-B6BD-0B117AAAAB67.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Jul 23, 2020 at 2:27 PM Post #62,297 of 149,114
Last edited:
Jul 23, 2020 at 4:21 PM Post #62,303 of 149,114
I didn't realize rubbing alcohol was different then isopropyl alcohol. Thought it was the common name. I'll differentiate going forward.

Maybe it is. Maybe it isn't.

Is Isopropyl Alcohol the Same as Rubbing Alcohol?
Rubbing alcohol is an antiseptic, which contains as not less than 68% and not more than 72% of isopropyl alcohol. The remaining volume consists of water, with or without suitable stabilizers, perfume oils, and color additives certified by the FDA for use in drugs. The difference between rubbing alcohol and more pure forms of isopropyl alcohol is that rubbing alcohol contains denaturants which make the solution unpalatable for human consumption. Technically, all grades of rubbing alcohol containing 68% -72% isopropyl alcohol fall under the “rubbing alcohol” namesake for household use. Isopropyl alcohol concentrations >91% volume have limited bactericidal efficiency and are less effective for antiseptic use, thus its distinction as “rubbing alcohol” is not warranted and may cause confusion.​

Sounds like it's worthwhile reading the ingredients, since the descriptor may be meaningless.

Jul 23, 2020 at 5:34 PM Post #62,308 of 149,114
I have both grades. It's my understanding that my 70% isopropyl makes a better disinfectant than 91% because it evaporates more slowly given the water content which allows it to work longer at disinfecting than 91%.

I also have 91%, I use that for cleaning electrical contact surfaces, tube pins, RCA and XLR male and female jacks and the like. It evaporates nice and fast. Water is something you don't want to clean electrical contact surfaces with so 91% is a better choice than 70% for that. With the majority of today's gold plated connectors very little grime builds up even over long times unless you have a smoky environment from tobacco, frying foods all day, or a faulty oil / coal / wood burning heater. Tube pins in particular tend to crud up relatively quickly for some reason with the exception of some that are gold plated.

Just my experience.

Jul 23, 2020 at 6:19 PM Post #62,310 of 149,114
for those interested in MrSpeakers (DanClarkAudio) they have some Aeon flow RT (limited edition) at $499. they look to be the housings from original Aeon (non-folding) series, with the Trueflow & v-plannar features of their top line ether models (but small Aeon-sized driver). for $649 they also have a combo that adds a Schiit Hel and a ModMic.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back