Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 25, 2020 at 5:20 PM Post #61,322 of 148,506
hmm. I thought this would have been the solution.

ive just done this. when i start a song with foobar, there is no audio. i get this message
Unrecoverable playback error: Unknown error code (0x88890008).

I did change the ouput section as you suggested on Foobar.

Damn it, looks like i have to sent it back

acts like a software or driver issue. is your Bifrost OG 4490 Gen 5 USB?

Jun 25, 2020 at 5:29 PM Post #61,323 of 148,506
hmm. I thought this would have been the solution.

ive just done this. when i start a song with foobar, there is no audio. i get this message
Unrecoverable playback error: Unknown error code (0x88890008).

I did change the ouput section as you suggested on Foobar.

Damn it, looks like i have to sent it back

I had this same/similar issue a few nights ago when I hooked up my Bifrost 2 to my desktop PC and was playing music through Foobar. Make sure you select the appropriate output. I first selected WASAPI (event): Speakers (Schiit Bifrost 2 Unison USB) no sound but changed to WASAPI (push): Speakers (Schiit Bifrost 2 Unison USB) and then had music through the Jotunheim R and SR1a :):):). Usually it's something that I've done that is not correct. Patience and Persistence usually pays off. Oh and I did not see any of the Schiit Bifrost 2 options in Foobar until I did a PC restart with USB connected and the Schiit Bifrost 2 powered on.

Jun 25, 2020 at 6:06 PM Post #61,325 of 148,506
I had this same/similar issue a few nights ago when I hooked up my Bifrost 2 to my desktop PC and was playing music through Foobar. Make sure you select the appropriate output. I first selected WASAPI (event): Speakers (Schiit Bifrost 2 Unison USB) no sound but changed to WASAPI (push): Speakers (Schiit Bifrost 2 Unison USB) and then had music through the Jotunheim R and SR1a :):):). Usually it's something that I've done that is not correct. Patience and Persistence usually pays off. Oh and I did not see any of the Schiit Bifrost 2 options in Foobar until I did a PC restart with USB connected and the Schiit Bifrost 2 powered on.

This will by my last option. Just pmed you. Please help me when you can.

Jun 25, 2020 at 6:20 PM Post #61,326 of 148,506

OMG. this worked. Thank you, Thank you

Jun 25, 2020 at 6:50 PM Post #61,328 of 148,506
OMG. this worked. Thank you, Thank you
Edit: I am glad it worked for you since I know when you can't wait to hear your new gear.........and when it doesn't work right away it can cause panic/consternation/stress/did I get a lemon? Usually a deep breath and patience are your best allies......

One other thing to remember is if you have two output devices hooked up on the same PC, which I have the Bifrost 2 and my speakers on my monitor hooked up to the audio out on the mother board. I have to go into the Control panel/Sound and set whichever one I am currently using as the default.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2020 at 6:58 PM Post #61,330 of 148,506
@blackdragon87 just as an FYI, I'm assuming you're running Win10 as opposed to my Win7. I've played with the various bit depths and other settings in the Foobar WASAPI entries and crashed the playback too many times to mention, so I got my setup running through a fair amount of experimentation. Glad to see you're hearing music now!!:gs1000smile:

Jun 25, 2020 at 7:14 PM Post #61,332 of 148,506
@Jason Stoddard There's an Asgard 3 listed as "Closeout" on the website. I assume that's in error? That would mean the Asgard 3 itself is end of life, which would appear unlikely after less than one year on the market.

Perhaps only the phono-equipped SKU is being closed out? EDIT: confirmed by someone else earlier.

Me, just hoping a B-stock black Freya+ shows up...though I'd happy purchase A-stock when it become available. Maybe around July 17th?? Pretty please??

Hope springs eternal.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2020 at 7:29 PM Post #61,334 of 148,506
Bifrost 2 is here! I just took the Modius out for now and put the Bifrost under the Jot and Lyr 3.

It must have been a clean return because it looks fine to me. The black finish actually looks really good too.

First sound impressions are quite good. I just have Tool playing on Spotify through the Jot to my cheap speaker amp and speakers.

Jun 25, 2020 at 7:45 PM Post #61,335 of 148,506
Bifrost 2 is here!

First sound impressions are quite good. I just have Tool playing on Spotify through the Jot to my cheap speaker amp and speakers.

That's like hiring Gordon Ramsay to come by and microwave some Spaghetti-O's for Sunday dinner... :p

EDIT: Okay, okay, the better analogy is hiring Gordon Ramsay to take some mediocre ingredients (Spotify), whip up a delicious meal...only you have a cold and can't taste anything! :p

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back