Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 15, 2020 at 3:01 PM Post #60,706 of 148,664
The Schiit Transport can't come soon enough for me. My CD source at work just crapped out and the prices on CD transports are crazy high considering that they are pretty much all assembled in China.

Jun 15, 2020 at 3:30 PM Post #60,707 of 148,664
Thanks for your answer. Being a budget model, the M6 hasn’t got a coaxial output, so the only digital output is USB. I’m thinking about a stack with Modius + Asgard 3, using the M6 as a source (a computer is not practical in this case).
Sorry, but you referred to the “M series” so I took it as the M9+ models. Apparently, this can work USB-to-USB with some DACs by changing the M6’s output to D2P. However, others have reported that this does not work for Schiit PC-powered DACs. The Modius is brand new so I don’t know whether it will work when its externally powered.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2020 at 3:39 PM Post #60,708 of 148,664
@Jason Stoddard Jason! I'm a huge fan of your company and your products. Congrats on 10 years, and here's to 50 more! I just got your book and I'm loving it too.

I know you have so many things going on and so much of your supply chain & R&D is slower-moving now with Covid, but can we pretty please (with cherries on top!) have a Modius Multibit, maybe in time for Christmas? I would buy AT LEAST 2 of them!

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2020 at 4:29 PM Post #60,710 of 148,664
Is Unison USB too big to fit onto the modular DAC cards? If not, will there be updates to the existing ones anytime soon?

As implemented on Modius (e.g. without the electromagnetic isolation) the Unison USB + AK4490 D/S chip could likely be built as a larger internal card (and might also fit on the smaller card), but will take some modifications to the Modius firmware. patience... they are working on debugging the Transport right now.

Not sure if Multibit DAC card can have Modius-style Unison USB added (might not be enough space)

Jun 15, 2020 at 4:38 PM Post #60,711 of 148,664
"one like to do random solder-ball bukkake" - am I the only one who nearly did a spit-take after reading that??
<raises hand> Nope -- me, too. Many years ago I did a machine vision system for checking BGAs and while the "double ball" and "no ball" jokes flowed freely, I would have gleefully added "solder-ball bukkake" to the list.

Jun 15, 2020 at 4:56 PM Post #60,712 of 148,664
Is Unison USB too big to fit onto the modular DAC cards? If not, will there be updates to the existing ones anytime soon?
Unison is the same size as the previous USB cards for the Yggdrasil.

Jun 15, 2020 at 5:24 PM Post #60,713 of 148,664
Unison is the same size as the previous USB cards for the Yggdrasil.

yes, Unision and Gen 5 USB interface cards for the modular upgradeable DAC (Bifrost OG, Gungnir, Yggdrasil) are the same size.

OP is inquiring about the DAC cards that fit inside the mid-size HP amps like Asgard 3, Jotunheim which are much smaller, and less real estate available for the USB interface section.

Jun 15, 2020 at 5:37 PM Post #60,714 of 148,664
Jason

Thanks very much for what you do. I just ordered Jotunheim & Modius (from you guys, not amazon) today. Upgraded from Magni & Modi 3 after a year. Got the FOCAL Clear a couple of weeks ago, so I need balanced :wink: I'm a Schiit-head for life!

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2020 at 5:38 PM Post #60,715 of 148,664
Sorry, but you referred to the “M series” so I took it as the M9+ models. Apparently, this can work USB-to-USB with some DACs by changing the M6’s output to D2P. However, others have reported that this does not work for Schiit PC-powered DACs. The Modius is brand new so I don’t know whether it will work when its externally powered.
You’re right, I should have been more specific about the DAP. I understand thar I need a powered DAC to connect my M6 to it, so the Modius seems a good candidate as it can be powered thru his second USB input to become a 0 miliamp USB device. But I’m not sure if the M6 will work with Modius protocol-wise, So far, I’ve only tested it with Fiio‘s K5 Pro thru USB.

Jun 15, 2020 at 5:49 PM Post #60,716 of 148,664
Jason said this early last year. The issue seems more about cost rather than size:
Unison USB could fit into anything we want it to. Heck, it could fit in Fulla 2. It's actually physically smaller than our current C-Media based solution. However, Unison is a bit more expensive than our current USB input

Jun 15, 2020 at 6:23 PM Post #60,717 of 148,664
Modius unison is the simplified* non-isolated version (no in/out dirty/quiet i2s transformers/latching -- suspect it realllly** works, a lot of modius's perf may be just that) it looks roughly the same size as the cmedia ver2 cluster**** --> I'd wanna get simple unison on the cards as soon as possible! It's like deleting unmaintainable black box old code, and backporting in new well tested, expandable functions-- feels good.

*Jason mentioned it somewhere and looked at the board pic.
** I have another schiit dac, gotta sit this one out... but reactions have pangs of first hearing unison or a perfect transport to ANY dac. ymmv.
**** (seriously, have you listened to that fed from a PC? it single handedly possibly spawned/fed into the nervosa chain products, wyrd, eitr, fotd, crazy rediitors, etc ;cmon ;D)

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2020 at 7:30 PM Post #60,718 of 148,664
Mine will be here soon! Can't wait to hear, moving up from MODI 3. I got the FOCAL Clear 3 weeks ago so I just had to hear it balanced. Ordered it and JOTUNHEIM today, surprised I lasted this long :wink:

Jun 15, 2020 at 8:53 PM Post #60,719 of 148,664
Some of y'all can appreciate this:

AC adapters.jpg

Jun 15, 2020 at 8:59 PM Post #60,720 of 148,664
Yep...remember having them on my RtoR and cassette decks; very useful.

That said, I still fondly remember the VU meters on my early amps Phase Linear, Marantz, G.A.S

Ooooohhhhh...pretty lights :wink:

1592232764706.png
1592232878623.png
1592232981629.png

Yeah, what you said.

They didn't have music videos when I was a kid. VU meters were all we had to watch. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back