Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 13, 2020 at 6:27 PM Post #60,631 of 148,516
No I haven't used the Freya OG in months now. I'm not a tube guy at all. Already switched to LISST for Freya OG back then and was very glad the 100% SS came out
My wife had trouble understanding the volume knob when the remote was used. She used to call out "the volume isn't working again" First back before you can go forward.
Both SS and tube gain stages? Maybe, not sure, I don't think so. Tubes are always so noisy. Can't touch the tray the pre is on or you can hear the tube ring over the speakers aaaaargh, Very high noise floor aaaargh. Distortion aaargh.
No I think I stick with Freya-S and let all the tube guys be happy with their choice, I'm happy with mine.
Thanks for the feedback. Yes, Freya OG has a very high noise floor compared to the Freya+, according to what I've read and what the specs show. Microphonic tubes can be a problem, although with some tubes of the same variety that's not a problem, or not as much of one.

If you're happy with Freya S, I say sell Freya OG and don't look back. I'm quite happy with my Freya OG, but wanted to compare it to the other two. There are quiet musical passages where I'm pretty sure that the Freya OG noise floor is noticeable. I know that if I were to choose Freya S over the two tubed versions, I could get back a fair amount selling the 6DJ8 and related tubes that I've acquired. It's just really hard for me to compare tube stage to JFET buffer when the volumes are so different.

Jun 13, 2020 at 6:40 PM Post #60,632 of 148,516
Since so many other suggestions for new products have been made I figured why not chuck one of mine out there. Okay, I know nothing about electronics but it seems to me Schiit amplifiers could be fitted with a connection on the back where one could attach wired stereo VU meters via a 3 foot cord for easy placement. Of course they would be called Toad Stools. I look forward to the next ten years with a new giddiness.

I want to LIKE this 4 times, but the stupid software won't let me.
* 2 times for the idea
* 2 times for the name

Jun 13, 2020 at 6:55 PM Post #60,633 of 148,516
I want to LIKE this 4 times, but the stupid software won't let me.
* 2 times for the idea
* 2 times for the name
My vote would be for something that improves sound quality. A new tubed phono stage perhaps.
I wanted to dislike this:
* -2 for the idea
* +1 for the name

Jun 13, 2020 at 7:25 PM Post #60,634 of 148,516
The modern Triumphs are great bikes
I bought this 94 first gen Hinckley Daytona in 95. It still runs awesome. The old thing is getting new tires on Thursday.

Attachments

• DSC01505.JPG
    DSC01505.JPG
    5.7 MB · Views: 0
Jun 13, 2020 at 7:26 PM Post #60,635 of 148,516
My vote would be for something that improves sound quality. A new tubed phono stage perhaps.
* -2 for the idea
* +1 for the name
Just memorializing the cause of a missing person who used to frequent these pages.

Raising a glass to OldRoadToad.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2020 at 7:32 PM Post #60,636 of 148,516
* -2 for the idea
* +1 for the name
There's room in the Schiit lineup for many ideas, they're not limited to picking just one. For some people, there are aspects of the gear that, while they don't affect the SQ, enhance the experience. Silver vs black, for example. Knobs with markings that can be seen from far away, vs knobs that are, let's say, more subtle. Location of the power switch. (Although I guess that could affect SQ in a smaller chassis.) Some people like remotes, although having one wouldn't do anything for me in my current desktop setup.

I'd like color LEDs on the DAC that indicate the bit depth and sample rate of the incoming signal.

Just bling, I know. My Bifrost is down, so I'm using my backup iFi Audio iDSD, which has such an LED. Sometimes I'm listening to some music, and it sounds really good, and I look at the gear and say "Ah... [the LED is yellow/white] ... that's a 'high def' file." Other times when I'm listening to some music, and it sounds really good, and I look at the gear and say "Ah... [the LED is green] ... that's a 'CD quality' (*) file, and I doubt I could tell the difference." No change in SQ, just a little spice that may flavor the listening experience.

(* To be technical, on my device, the LED is green for 16-bit or 24-bit up to 96kHz, so it doesn't really distinguish between 'CD quality' and 'HD-Tracks' etc resolution. Wish they'd implemented that differently.)

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2020 at 7:36 PM Post #60,637 of 148,516
Just memorializing the cause of a missing person who used to frequent these pages.

RIP, ORT (Old Road Toad). I wish we could have hoisted a pint together. :frowning2:

Jun 13, 2020 at 8:35 PM Post #60,638 of 148,516
There's room in the Schiit lineup for many ideas, they're not limited to picking just one. For some people, there are aspects of the gear that, while they don't affect the SQ, enhance the experience. Silver vs black, for example. Knobs with markings that can be seen from far away, vs knobs that are, let's say, more subtle. Location of the power switch. (Although I guess that could affect SQ in a smaller chassis.) Some people like remotes, although having one wouldn't do anything for me in my current desktop setup.

I'd like color LEDs on the DAC that indicate the bit depth and sample rate of the incoming signal.

Just bling, I know. My Bifrost is down, so I'm using my backup iFi Audio iDSD, which has such an LED. Sometimes I'm listening to some music, and it sounds really good, and I look at the gear and say "Ah... [the LED is yellow/white] ... that's a 'high def' file." Other times when I'm listening to some music, and it sounds really good, and I look at the gear and say "Ah... [the LED is green] ... that's a 'CD quality' (*) file, and I doubt I could tell the difference." No change in SQ, just a little spice that may flavor the listening experience.

(* To be technical, on my device, the LED is green for 16-bit or 24-bit, so it doesn't really distinguish between 'CD quality' and 'HD-Tracks' etc resolution. Wish they'd implemented that differently.)
I agree with much of what you what you said.
Silver vs black - sure, I don't have a problem with that, but after ordering 13 Schiit components in silver, I hope that having extra color options doesn't increase my price when I upgrade.
Knobs with markings, I think that the glowing blue ring around knobs on Samsung appliances or some audio components looks cool as crap, but in the end, if the volume is too loud I turn it down, if it isn't loud enough I turn it up.
I can see the point to wanting to differentiate between different source qualities (e.g. 16-bit or 24-bit), although I wonder what percentage of people are mixing songs in their stream that are coming from sources of differing qualities. I don't. If I'm listening to ALAC files that I ripped from CDs, I know what they are.

If they add an output to power VU meters, I guess they could use that same output to provide input to a variety of devices. Maybe someone could come up with a line of lava lamps that change color in response to output levels, or they could use that to affect the strobe light flash frequency of someone's disco ball, all kinds of things that could be done with it.

Jun 13, 2020 at 9:02 PM Post #60,640 of 148,516
For knob visibility, I just put the tip of a Sharpie into the little divot on the volume knob and give a little twist to make sure the ink gets the whole divot. If I ever sell the thing (fat chance…), it’ll come right off.
I guess on the new Freyas and probably on some of the other new models, there's no longer a set screw visible on the volume knob. I actually use that on my Freya OG to visualize my initial volume setting, more than the small dot on the face of the knob. Yeah, I certainly can't see the dot on my volume knob from 6' away under normal circumstances.

Jun 14, 2020 at 6:59 AM Post #60,641 of 148,516
I bought this 94 first gen Hinckley Daytona in 95. It still runs awesome. The old thing is getting new tires on Thursday.

@saddleup Thanks for sharing the picture.The bike looks awesome too!
It's obviously been well cared for. Great to see a 25 year old bike looking so good.
A friend recently replaced his very fast modern Honda with a new Triumph Street Triple. He liked the Honda but he loves the Triumph and can't stop riding it!

Jun 14, 2020 at 8:09 AM Post #60,642 of 148,516
Since so many other suggestions for new products have been made I figured why not chuck one of mine out there. Okay, I know nothing about electronics but it seems to me Schiit amplifiers could be fitted with a connection on the back where one could attach wired stereo VU meters via a 3 foot cord for easy placement. Of course they would be called Toad Stools. I look forward to the next ten years with a new giddiness.
Those connections are already there.

I never understood the critique for the main switch on the backside.
Never had hi end gear that had it on the front so people coming in on this level might just have to get used to it.
A visible aide on the volume knob might come in handy for deaf people.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2020 at 8:41 AM Post #60,643 of 148,516
RIP, ORT (Old Road Toad). I wish we could have hoisted a pint together. :frowning2:

Sad news.
ORT sounds like someone who would have been great company over a pint or three.
I missed out on the wit and wisdom of his posts, as I was late discovering this forum.
I have just rectified that by going back and reading some of his musings.
They were very funny and brilliantly written.
I loved his term 'frauAudiophile' and also his demolition of the whole MQA scam.

Jun 14, 2020 at 8:44 AM Post #60,644 of 148,516
For knob visibility, I just put the tip of a Sharpie into the little divot on the volume knob and give a little twist to make sure the ink gets the whole divot. If I ever sell the thing (fat chance…), it’ll come right off.
Posted this before, but here it is again. I use this knob.
1687921799-1310280727.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back