Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 9, 2020 at 11:09 AM Post #60,287 of 149,247
releasing a Gungnir 2 with remote would piss off the current Yggdrasil owners.
Probably but time waits for no man....new Schiit comes out all the time....buy a car..few months later the new year comes out and you wish you had waited, and forget about the great deal you got?

Then eventually in 30 or 40 years someone will be saying how great that old BIG YGGY was and some will still have it and like people today with vintage receivers etc will still claim that was the good stuff ......

:>)

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2020 at 11:18 AM Post #60,288 of 149,247
Wait a second, that was my thought process only - I never said it was rational :)
I understood your point, and there are certainly times when I can understand someone saying to themselves "Ugh, I should have waited." I think that for people who purchased Bifrost Multibit just before Bifrost 2 came out, many of them would have felt that way. I think that if Jotenheim fits your needs today, and a new version comes out in a couple months, I have trouble imagining that it would be so much better than the existing model, that anyone should rightly be upset that they didn't wait.

For my money, I would spend $199 on Asgard 3. What a phenomenal deal.

I also think that many people put too much emphasis on having the latest and greatest DACs and amps, when in most cases they would be better off putting that money toward better headphones or speakers. It's all part of the fun of the hobby I guess, unless someone is truly stressing over a decision.

Jun 9, 2020 at 11:44 AM Post #60,290 of 149,247
Modius arrived this morning. Initial impressions are great, it was an upgrade to my Modi 2 Uber and I'm definitely pleased. Some pictures to show sizing reference to a Magni 3+. I'll definitely echo some comments from earlier posts, this was a long term upgrade for me to be able to expand in the future. Having SE and balanced, AES support, improved USB interface (and removing the wall wart), and being a good number of years since I got my Modi it was a no brainer for the money.

MVIMG_20200609_102429.jpg
MVIMG_20200609_102436.jpg

Jun 9, 2020 at 12:38 PM Post #60,292 of 149,247
I understood your point, and there are certainly times when I can understand someone saying to themselves "Ugh, I should have waited." I think that for people who purchased Bifrost Multibit just before Bifrost 2 came out, many of them would have felt that way. I think that if Jotenheim fits your needs today, and a new version comes out in a couple months, I have trouble imagining that it would be so much better than the existing model, that anyone should rightly be upset that they didn't wait.

For my money, I would spend $199 on Asgard 3. What a phenomenal deal.

I also think that many people put too much emphasis on having the latest and greatest DACs and amps, when in most cases they would be better off putting that money toward better headphones or speakers. It's all part of the fun of the hobby I guess, unless someone is truly stressing over a decision.

Jason put the case for spending money on transducers very well in his chapter called 'The Elephant in the Room' . ( Chapter 9, June 2016).

'Realistic speakers are going to start at 4 figures, and not at the lower end of the range…they could easily get into 5 figures. And this is the way it should be—most of your money should go into the transducer. Or at least so says this dinosaur'.

From my very first 'Hi Fi' system in 1973 I have always allocated most of my budget to speakers.
I didn't buy the mantra, from a well-known British Hi Fi manufacturer in the 70s, of 'source first'.
Now, even with the fantastic Yggy in my system, I have continued with this philosophy. I would guess that based on current new prices, my speakers represent almost 90% of the total system cost!
That percentage will come down a smidgen when I get the new CD Transport and Freya though...

Jun 9, 2020 at 12:50 PM Post #60,293 of 149,247
Jason put the case for spending money on transducers very well in his chapter called 'The Elephant in the Room' . ( Chapter 9, June 2016).

'Realistic speakers are going to start at 4 figures, and not at the lower end of the range…they could easily get into 5 figures. And this is the way it should be—most of your money should go into the transducer. Or at least so says this dinosaur'.

From my very first 'Hi Fi' system in 1973 I have always allocated most of my budget to speakers.
I didn't buy the mantra, from a well-known British Hi Fi manufacturer in the 70s, of 'source first'.
Now, even with the fantastic Yggy in my system, I have continued with this philosophy. I would guess that based on current new prices, my speakers represent almost 90% of the total system cost!
That percentage will come down a smidgen when I get the new CD Transport and Freya though...

Don't forget that in the vinyl world, the turntable/tonearm/cartridge combo *is* a transducer.

ed

Jun 9, 2020 at 12:59 PM Post #60,294 of 149,247
yes, especially with BF2 at about 1/2 price using the same 8X megacomboburrito upscaler / digital filter, and Yggy GS available for a bit more. and releasing a Gungnir 2 with remote would piss off the current Yggdrasil owners.

Not sure if you're agreeing or disagreeing lol.

Jun 9, 2020 at 1:08 PM Post #60,296 of 149,247
I bought a Lyr because I loved the idea of buying a product called Schiit. I replaced my Lyr a couple years later with a Mjolnir 2 because I wanted to try a balanced headphone and I loved what Schiit was doing. I replaced my Mjolnir with a different brand because I invested in electrostatic headphones, but I would have bought more Schiit if that product had existed. I own Gugnir MB and Yggdrasil DACs. I am happy Schiit has a diverse and ever-evolving product line. Anyone who has been paying attention (or reading Jason's book since the beginning) knows that the only reason this company exists is because the owners are having fun and enjoy creating value. So bring on the diversity and keep it coming. And do whatever you want to do - if it suits my needs I'll buy it.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2020 at 1:10 PM Post #60,297 of 149,247
I bought a Lyr because I loved the idea of buying a product called Schiit. I replaced my Lyr a couple years later with a Mjolnir 2 because I wanted to try a balanced headphone and I loved what Schiit was doing. I replaced my Mjolnir with a different brand because I invested in electrostatic headphones, but I would have bought more Schiit if that product had existed. I own Gugnir MB and Yggdrasil DACs. I am happy Schiit has a diverse and ever-evolving product line. Anyone who has been paying attention (or reading Jason'ts book since the beginning) knows that the only reason this company exists is because the owners are having fun and enjoy creating value. So bring on the diversity and keep it coming. And do whatever you want to do - if it suits my needs I'll buy it.
I hope they are making some money too :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Jun 9, 2020 at 1:13 PM Post #60,298 of 149,247
It blows me away how little the source matters in relation to the transducers (in terms of what you actually hear). I got some Audeze LCD-X a few months ago and was running them off a Fulla 2. I thought they might sound better being run off a more powerful amp, so I picked up a Drop THX amp (you know the one). And I can barely, BARELY, hear a difference between the Fulla 2 and the THX on $1000+ headphones (both being fed by the Fulla's DAC). I wrote a whole review about this thing over on Drop, and my conclusion was to absolutely, postively, 100% get your headphones sorted before you look at an amp above the Magni level in terms of price.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy with my purchase for other reasons, but what I hear isn't one of them.

Jun 9, 2020 at 1:54 PM Post #60,300 of 149,247

All of the components in my 2-channel system have been purchased in the past five years, all new. Excluding my Mac Mini, some other tubes I purchased for Freya, and taxes & shipping, my percentages work out as follows:
Yggdrasil (purchased as B-stock) = 20.6%
Pro-ject Debut Carbon with 2M Red = 3.9%
Mani = 1.3%
Freya = 6.9%
Aegir x 2 = 15.7%
Salk HT2-TL speakers = 49.6%
BJC RCA & speaker cables, Kopul XLR cables = 2.1%

Don't forget that in the vinyl world, the turntable/tonearm/cartridge combo *is* a transducer.

ed
I agree with this. I'm still trying to decide whether I want to commit to upgrading to a better turntable and cartridge for the albums I have on vinyl, or if I'll enjoy listening to that music more from Qobuz, for example. Upgrading to the 2M Blue stylus would be an easy upgrade, but I wouldn't get anywhere near the $200 cost back for it if I decide to sell the Pro-ject turntable in the end. Chances are I'll get a Sol eventually.

All of that would make it seem like I'm a huge Schiit fanboy, although I really don't look at it that way. There are lots of other good audio products on the market, but I just don't see anyone else as consistently bringing so much value in the products they produce. It's crazy when you see respected audiophile listeners putting Yggdrasil and Bifrost 2 in their top-10 list with a couple of $100K DACs. There are people who buy a mint Pioneer M-22 power amp, have it re-capped, etc., and I don't doubt that it's a fantastic vintage amplifier, but it was easier for me to order a pair of Aegirs, I'm quite happy with them, and I don't think I will ever feel the need to upgrade from them. I think I would need to look at the used turntable market to compete with Sol for value.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back