Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 1, 2020 at 6:07 PM Post #59,836 of 149,171
I think that post should be required reading before anybody starts buying audio equipment to actually listen to music for enjoyment.

After reading that, which I largely tend to agree with, I have two possible solutions to audiophilia nervosa.

1. Always drink alcohol or listen in noisy environment so that 0.1% SQ improvement for $10,000 is neither perceived nor necessary.

2. Since "blind listening" is never possible in one's actual home, always have your spouse buy the audio equipment without telling you which and hide them behind curtains for you to enjoy.

I think alcohol causes the opposite problem for me!

But agree, great post.

Jun 1, 2020 at 6:33 PM Post #59,837 of 149,171
And then there’s the crazy ones. Here in Calgary you will inevitably find people walking around wearing shorts and Crocs in -30 Celcius. (That’s -22 F for you retrograde reactionary holdouts.)

I fly for one of the major airlines and I'm in Minneapolis for layovers 20-30 times per year.
I've lost count of the number of guys/gals who have gotten on/off the airplane in MSP wearing shorts and t-shirts with temperatures significantly below freezing. (-30-40C)

Jun 1, 2020 at 8:10 PM Post #59,840 of 149,171
Hey guys,

First announcement for the week: The Schiitr opens again June 4!

Yes, we're back. Yes, we're doing all the extra sanitization/sterilization tricks. Yes, we understand if you still don't want to come anyway. That's cool. We'll see how it goes.

The Schiitr is open for normal retail hours, Thursday-Sunday 6-10PM. However, we do ask that you bring your own headphones during this time, and please be patient if we have to do some cleaning while you are there. If you really forgot your headphones, ask us, and we'll probably have something sanitized behind the counter, but we can't guarantee that, nor can we guarantee how well they'll hold up to the constant cleaning. We'll also have a box of masks if you forget yours (LA County requires masks in stores.)

Newhall is in the process of reopening. Most of the restaurants and shops are open as well, so you won't be coming in to tumbleweeds.

Thanks again for your patience and support, and I'm looking forward to seeing you at a Schiitrmeet soon. We'll forgo the one this month until we can work out logistics (do we try to use the patio, do it virtually, etc?) But hopefully next month!

All the best,
Jason

PS: Next announcement tomorrow...with new chapter.
Good to hear Jason. Do you still have Sols on display for audition? I have some money burning a hole in my pocket. :wink:

Jun 1, 2020 at 8:51 PM Post #59,841 of 149,171
You inspired me! (here is my cleaned up schiit stack!)
desktop3.JPG

next mission, find tubes that i like for the mj2 + hd800s
I'm not sure how i ended up with the Gold Lion.. but they make the HD800s painful. I just ordered some Tesla. Any other suggestions? (I have the JJ's but haven't tested them yet.)
On my Lyr2, I actually liked the LISST "tubes" the best. So when I upgraded, I decided to get a used Mjolnir 1 instead of a 2, so I just wouldn't have to deal with tubes. The only headphones I haven't sprung for recabling on are my Grados, and those don't really need Mjolnir power anyway, and I have an Asgard 2 that work with really well.

Jun 1, 2020 at 10:06 PM Post #59,843 of 149,171
Thanks again for your patience and support, and I'm looking forward to seeing you at a Schiitrmeet soon. We'll forgo the one this month until we can work out logistics (do we try to use the patio, do it virtually, etc?) But hopefully next month!

Doing it virtually could be a great way for us to attend if we live on the other side of the city/state/country/planet/universe (strike out not applicable to your personal situation, and the universe option is there off the back of the recent cannabis discussions :xf_cool: )

Jun 1, 2020 at 11:09 PM Post #59,845 of 149,171
I work in the industrial sector. I have many different customers making many different products from cream cheese to bottle tops. One day a maintenance man for a company complained because they had two new machines which were metric based and most of their plant is English units. He said "I wish there was a universal system that people just adhered to."

My reply- "There is. Its called the metric system and we refuse to comply."
All of my temperature measuring devices are in Celsius and all of my length and volume measuring devices are metric. Never again will I try to subtract 4 3/4 inches from 7 3/16 or try to figure out what half of 3/4 of a cup is in tablespoons.

Jun 2, 2020 at 12:15 AM Post #59,848 of 149,171
All of my temperature measuring devices are in Celsius and all of my length and volume measuring devices are metric. Never again will I try to subtract 4 3/4 inches from 7 3/16 or try to figure out what half of 3/4 of a cup is in tablespoons.
Friend of mine is an engineer of the civil varietal, and the first thing they do with a plan is decimalise the inches... Hard/difficult/nigh on impossible to do maths on straight inches.

Jun 2, 2020 at 1:29 AM Post #59,849 of 149,171
BWD stands for Bit Clock Word Clock and Data, which Mike described (in post # 4,073 of 10 Aug 2017) as '..... the irreducible minimum of digital audio signals'.
He also said it that BWD is '.....waaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than SPDIF..'
it seems that with the development of Unison USB, a BWD connection between transport and DAC is no longer necessary.
The inference is that Unison USB is also way better than S/PDIF :beyersmile:
I look forward to hearing more about Schitt's new transport and will hold off purchasing one from another manufacturer.....for now!

Just guessing that maybe BWD is already baked into unison?

And they have new products that could leverage that 'unique technology' for even cooler schitt?

Jun 2, 2020 at 2:34 AM Post #59,850 of 149,171
Yes it does. In France and the rest of Europe that's a given and only the name French Fries is a US invention. The actual product is not.
Maybe you US Americans should invent some food where you can be the sole culinary dictator as to how to combine it.
(Mind you all. This is a sort of a yoke so don't explode in useless attacks)

No. Not another flavor but some 50% less fat than mayonaise which is another product altogether.
Went to business school with a guy from France who put mayonnaise on his pizza!

Seriously. Barf! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back