Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 14, 2020 at 12:29 PM Post #59,116 of 149,187
I have no more software issues with Qobuz than Tidal.
Both need work IMO.

Qobuz desperately needs a dark theme.
Seach is lame but Tidal is not great.

The servers are much faster with Qobuz but no public load on them yet in the early days.
In the early days of Tidal I routinely has no or spotty service at busy times, like weekend nights and holidays.
I thought of dumping Tidal every month I had it.
If I had to pay for Qobuz now I might feel the same way.
I am hoping it improves before that happens.

My experience has taught me the real failure of MQA is solving a non-existent problem.
And sounds essentially the same as the non MQA 16 bit stream.

Qobuz high resolution is superior, no doubt in my mind.
https://www.reddit.com/r/qobuz/comments/fxmaad/dark_theme_for_qobuz_desktop_app/

May 14, 2020 at 12:42 PM Post #59,117 of 149,187
Considering DVD-A is a 'unicorn' format and the player needs to hook up to a display to navigate the disc I think it's safe to say the transport will not support it.

I burn DVD-A's using my laptop to play my Hi Res files that I have purchased. I use an Oppo player and I can play these DVD-A's as if they were CD's, no screen required, and Yggy does a fine job with the sonics.

May 14, 2020 at 1:01 PM Post #59,119 of 149,187
Moved the Schiit Lego stack to the lab, and put the Vali on top of it (didn't fasten that one). split the loki output to both amps, and use the preouts on the magni to drive the monitors. PC goes into the Wyrd, then the USB input of the Modi, iPhone goes into the Eitr, then to the coax. Modi to Sys, which also has a 3.5 mm analog input.
The do-it-all stack!

1589398683592.png

Nice planning! That's a very flexible layout, gives you lots of listening options, including the choice of tube or no tube output.

May 14, 2020 at 1:21 PM Post #59,120 of 149,187
From being a former Aquarist, UV light also work with Aquariums. It's big with expensive Salt Water fish tanks to keep your expensive fish healthy. And now they are saying that Vitamin D...aka Sunshine, helps battle the virus.

May 14, 2020 at 1:27 PM Post #59,121 of 149,187
There's an interesting trade-off in global manufacturing between national resilience and global peace. I generally agree with comments here about too many of our goods being manufactured in China, and too little in the US. Particularly the points about excessive short-term optimization.

But there's another aspect, where trade promotes peace. China is a rising superpower, and they're feeling their oats. There are rising tensions in the Pacific, and particularly when it comes to China simply claiming sovereignty over the South China Sea. We're on a natural collision course with a giant, technologically sophisticated country. That doesn't have to result in war, but if nationalism takes over in both countries, the risk goes up.

Trade is a strong counterbalance to military conflict. You don't go to war with your trading partners.

May 14, 2020 at 1:27 PM Post #59,122 of 149,187
Nice planning! That's a very flexible layout, gives you lots of listening options, including the choice of tube or no tube output.
stuff acquired over a few years...had to stop myself from purchasing another sys just to have them all be similar metal. But even the metal on the vali2 looks quite different from the metal on the loki, so I'm just going to leave the painted steel sys in there. I suppose I could add my painted steel mani in there too, but that's not going to the lab

Last edited:
May 14, 2020 at 2:27 PM Post #59,123 of 149,187
Trade is a strong counterbalance to military conflict. You don't go to war with your trading partners.
We totally should. Then they'd be our trading subjects. :)

Now that I have that out of my system, I hope the US does bring some of its manufacturing "back home". It would mean more domestic jobs as well as a supply chain less susceptible to panics abroad. The cost of shipping seems to be on a continual rise, so that will help. However, we need to use our national smarts to figure out ways to reduce manufacturing costs of basic/ simple things. Cars and cruise missiles are one thing, latex gloves and protective masks are something else.

Oh, and Texas BBQ still stomps all over NC BBQ. With boots on.

May 14, 2020 at 3:37 PM Post #59,124 of 149,187
And now they are saying that Vitamin D...aka Sunshine, helps battle the virus.
Which doesn't need UV-C mind you.

Apart from Primaluna and Dutch & Dutch I have no knowledge of a Dutch hifi brand and that while Primaluna is made in China all the way.
In Italy however that's another story.

Last edited:
May 14, 2020 at 5:33 PM Post #59,125 of 149,187
I burn DVD-A's using my laptop to play my Hi Res files that I have purchased. I use an Oppo player and I can play these DVD-A's as if they were CD's, no screen required, and Yggy does a fine job with the sonics.

Good for you.

Snarkiness aside, this is kind of an old-school method to making playlists that has it's place. I don't do this anymore because I've gone whole-hog (here we are back to BBQ) with computer audio having settled on Roon. However, making a playlist and burning it to DVD makes for a pretty dang reliable music source for parties. No worrying about internet/wi-fi dropouts. DVD players are mostly reliable appliances and will play long enough for most parties without needing any attention from anyone.

Last edited:
May 14, 2020 at 6:22 PM Post #59,126 of 149,187
We totally should. Then they'd be our trading subjects. :)

Now that I have that out of my system, I hope the US does bring some of its manufacturing "back home". It would mean more domestic jobs as well as a supply chain less susceptible to panics abroad. The cost of shipping seems to be on a continual rise, so that will help. However, we need to use our national smarts to figure out ways to reduce manufacturing costs of basic/ simple things. Cars and cruise missiles are one thing, latex gloves and protective masks are something else.

Oh, and Texas BBQ still stomps all over NC BBQ. With boots on.

Texas BBQ is made in China.

:)

May 14, 2020 at 6:31 PM Post #59,127 of 149,187
Next they are going to tell me the best peaches are Carolina not Georgia.:peach: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

May 14, 2020 at 6:39 PM Post #59,128 of 149,187
May 14, 2020 at 6:47 PM Post #59,129 of 149,187
NC BBQ is just Texas BBQ smothered in vinegar and mustard.
:smile_phones:
i'm surprised that those from TN or MO haven't chimed in (making this a 4-sided argument). The multibit vs D/S debate is only 2-sided and yet it gets very heated sometimes (not a reference to the tube guys, by the way).

May 14, 2020 at 6:47 PM Post #59,130 of 149,187
I go out of my way to buy things made in the USA, regardless of the government. The last USA buy was trying to find sprinkles to put on a birthday cake all from China! Just the other day we found some that were made in the USA!!! Hooray!! Finally! Sprinkles!!!

Its time for the US to bring back manufacturing and jobs to out country....yeah I sound like I dont like stuff from China, well I dont and am not afraid to say this....

I am so proud of what Jason and the team has done with its products and wish the all the very best with their future endeavors!! Schitt really cares about its employees and this is alot more than any company does in China for sure...

I recently was sent a $5495 audio product to test, touted as one of the best..and it came with a switching power supply made in guess where? Yup, China!!! OMG.

For the guy who doesnt buy from the US due to the government, well thats your right and although I disagree i respect your decision....

China habit here has been "kicked" for a long time.....

Alex

Users who are viewing this thread

Back