Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 1, 2020 at 11:40 PM Post #58,696 of 148,644
What CD transport do you guys use? I am not sure if I can wait for the Schiit one to come out. I was looking at Jays Audio CDT2-MK2. It is priced at $2,398 and I dont know if it is over-priced. For the Cambridge CXC transport, I have heard good things and bad things, so not sure if that would be a safe choice.

Another issue I heard was that the Schitt DAC's muting relay tends to click whenever the Transport (not every brand, but many brands) switches songs, which could be annoying.

Cheers.

Last edited:
May 2, 2020 at 12:19 AM Post #58,697 of 148,644
What CD transport do you guys use? I am not sure if I can wait for the Schiit one to come out. I was looking at Jays Audio CDT2-MK2. It is priced at $2,398 and I dont know if it is over-priced. For the Cambridge CXC transport, I have heard good things and bad things, so not sure if that would be a safe choice.

Another issue I heard was that the Schitt DAC's muting relay tends to click whenever the Transport (not every brand, but many brands) switches songs, which could be annoying.

Cheers.

looks like over-priced eye candy like most of the $$$ 'transports' around today with nice CNC front panels, and buzz-word internal components. I'd take a generic DVD or Blu-ray player with s/pdif out instead, and buy extra music with the leftover cash, or upgrade the DAC to Yggy A2 (unless you already have that one). Schiit Multibit DAC's buffer, comboburrito upsample and DSP filter and re-clock the data anyway, so nS jitter isn't so much of an issue.

If someone developed a transport that ran at faster than normal rotational speed, say 1.5X or 2X or 3X to permit re-reads of questionable data blocks, that might be something to improve performance, an no doubt the maker of such transport would tout that as a technical advantage over the competition.

May 2, 2020 at 6:20 AM Post #58,698 of 148,644
looks like over-priced eye candy like most of the $$$ 'transports' around today with nice CNC front panels, and buzz-word internal components. I'd take a generic DVD or Blu-ray player with s/pdif out instead, and buy extra music with the leftover cash, or upgrade the DAC to Yggy A2 (unless you already have that one). Schiit Multibit DAC's buffer, comboburrito upsample and DSP filter and re-clock the data anyway, so nS jitter isn't so much of an issue.

If someone developed a transport that ran at faster than normal rotational speed, say 1.5X or 2X or 3X to permit re-reads of questionable data blocks, that might be something to improve performance, an no doubt the maker of such transport would tout that as a technical advantage over the competition.

Made a similar decision but ended up ripping everything to FLAC for the additional functionality (Playlists, Shuffle all, etc.) and convenience (no finding/loading disc)...

May 2, 2020 at 6:44 AM Post #58,699 of 148,644

In the past I have used a 25 year old Arcam Alpha Plus as a CD transport and it came surprisingly close to ripped CDs and streamed Qobuz 16/44.1 when played through the same DAC using RCA S/PDIF output.
I no longer play CDs at all, but if I do go back down that route, my shopping list would include, in order of preference:
  • Schiit CD Transport- if and when it becomes available.... The main reason is that Mike has said he will build in a BWD output which will be superior to S/PDIF or AES . It will also have a USB output. ( I don't use USB with my Yggy A2 and therefore haven't upgraded to Unison USB).
  • Audiolab 6000CDT. It is £379 in the UK. Gets good reviews and has a read ahead buffer to reduce disc read errors
https://theaudiophileman.com/6000cdt-cd-transport-from-audiolab/

May 2, 2020 at 6:44 AM Post #58,700 of 148,644

Cheers.

I got tired of waiting for Schiit as well. Bought a used 1 year old CXC for $300 and couldn't be happier.

May 2, 2020 at 8:25 AM Post #58,701 of 148,644

Cheers.

I bought a Cambridge CXC earlier this year and really like it. The unit is rather 'bare bones' but, like Schiit gear, the money was spent on areas that matter to the sound. No clicking between tracks but if I pause the CXC it drives the relay on my Gumby nuts. That's the only issue i have with it - my solution is to not pause the CXC.

FWIW, I bought a CXC-1 when it was being replaced by CXC-2 (cosmetic changes only) and I paid a little under $600 Cdn (currently about $450 US) for mine.

Cheers,
JC

May 2, 2020 at 9:13 AM Post #58,702 of 148,644

Not once has this been an issue with my Oppo (coax spdif out) > Modi Multibit. I'm curious which transports cause the issue.

May 2, 2020 at 9:25 AM Post #58,703 of 148,644
I got tired of waiting for Schiit as well. Bought a used 1 year old CXC for $300 and couldn't be happier.

Based on my past experience or feeling, a new Schitt product will be available on market 6 months after Jason says "it will be available very soon" or "waiting for the final piece" lol :D :D. Since there hasn't been any formal post yet, i guess at least another 1 year.

May 2, 2020 at 11:33 AM Post #58,704 of 148,644
May 2, 2020 at 11:42 AM Post #58,705 of 148,644
Cheer up. It was just @Roy G. Biv playing the song 55 million times. :D

Last edited:
May 2, 2020 at 11:56 AM Post #58,706 of 148,644

Cheers.

If I could not wait for the Schiit transport which I am waiting for, I would look at the Cyrus CD t (or CD Xt Signature if my budget was bigger) in addition to the Cambridge and Audio Labs players.

May 2, 2020 at 11:59 AM Post #58,707 of 148,644

Not sure if it's of any interest, but I bought an Emotive ERC-3 CD player several years ago. It is physically noisy (I suspect due to higher spin speed), however, it can play damaged CDs that are simply unreadable by any other transport. Now superseded by the more expensive ERC-4. Maybe worth checking out?
https://emotiva.com/collections/cd-players/products/erc-4

Cheers, Jim

May 2, 2020 at 12:36 PM Post #58,708 of 148,644

Cheers.

After researching reviews, price point, features, and looks I decided on the Audiolab. Great SQ with coax through the RME DAC. It has played even some questionably scratched discs with it's read-ahead buffer. And I think it looks good with the Freya S. Notice my electrical tape triangle of black for the volume marking...

I'm thinking a Bifrost 2 or a Yggdrasil would look good in this stack one day. Then I'd move the RME into my headphone setup. I've got some HD6XXs on the way currently.

Starting to design a wood cabinet for my system to house all of my Schiit and looking forward to the project with my dad who is 85 and has a 2-car garage wood shop.

Audiolab 6000CDT Freya S IMG_3026.jpg

May 2, 2020 at 12:58 PM Post #58,709 of 148,644

Cheers.

The Jay's Audio CDT2- MK2 looks like a well engineered CD transport but it is very expensive!
In Mike's post ( no 9,733) back in 5th January 2019, he provided an update on the proposed Schiit CD Transport.
It is worth a read, but here's an extract:

'On Jason’s thread, I have been reading a steadily growing volume of often speculative posts re our upcoming transport. Please allow me to clear the air regarding the true current state of said product’s goals and development. As a preliminary, I have nothing bad to say with respect to any other transport makers. For someone such as Cambridge to say in business four or so times longer than we have says nothing quite as much as they certainly must be doing a lot of things right. More power to them.

The proposed Schiit transport will be the fourth or fifth transport I have been involved with over the last thirty or so years. It will be absolutely compatible with all future Schiit digital products. Of all things digital, I am certain about the following sentence. Paramount to optimum performance/listening are antiseptically clean clocks. We have many source devices such as ethernet to USB devices, transports, and sundry other components. Well and good. What few or none consider is the fact that by far the most important location for clean clocks and data is right at the DAC chip itself – the ass end of the converter. (Destination clocks) The farther the clean clock goes back in the reproduction toward the source, the less it matters. Clean clocks still matter at the source, but all to frequently rapidly approach triviality. Destination clocks rule.

So at some point in our Schiit, newer products and upgrades for our higher end products will feature the best, rock solid clocks at our DACs where they kick the most ass. What does this have to do with a transport? Well, we can use an enhanced BWD connection controlling jitter all the way back to the transport even through an async USB connection as well as BWD.

Huh, USB connection??!!?? Yup, our transport will have a USB out. Such apostasy! Why? Well, I am finally good with USB now being as good as S/PDIF and AES on our new USB receiver. Better, even. Yup, really. This begs a USB out.

So what transport do we use? On our proto, we have a genero interface to try virtually any transport. Well, here is what we found out on differences between transport mechanisms: Using a clock close to the DAC, running it all the way back to a moderately de-jittered and cleaned up transport clocks and data, very little difference exists. To repeat: trivial, mouse nuts, vanishingly little differences. This makes transport mechanism selection point towards product life and reliability, as it should.
With traditional clocking from the source, the clock cleaning becomes much more important. The differences between different transport mechanisms significantly widen.
So, if destination clocks are so good, how come no one uses them?? Well, it requires a perfectly stable async BWD/USB connection back to the source. The key to public acceptance is a compatible system which will mate with ROW source clocked components (ROW – rest of the world.) There is also a phuc ton of engineering to do – A self engineered USB digital audio host and input, and/or a BWD with clock control line interface.
So the transport will include a USB host (audio output), and a BWD with destination clock features, in addition to AES and S/PDIF ROW features. We do have a proto running, that still has a few bugs to fix, mostly in our USB interface. What we have our attention on now is a stubborn bit selection 16/24/32. What a waste of time 32 audio bit is, kinda like a hub cap on a pizza, but people expect it, so we waste our time....'

What I take from this is that if the CD transport uses a clock next to the DAC ( a 'destination clock') the Transport machanism makes very little difference.
That's why I have been holding out for Mike's CD Transport.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back