Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 25, 2020 at 5:38 PM Post #58,533 of 149,252
If a cable is of sufficient unconventional construction, its effective reactance (inductance, capacitance) may make some (poorly designed) amplifiers unstable (ringing or worse, oscillation). in such a situation, no eq will fix that.

otherwise use common sense (the free spaghetti wires that come with tv, dvd, etc are junk) and don't spend more that the cost of components on cabling,.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2020 at 6:50 PM Post #58,534 of 149,252
My latest build, I wanted an amp to sit on a shelf with a Bifrost. This one in spalted tulip poplar with ebony. thumbnail_IMG_2241.jpg

Apr 25, 2020 at 6:56 PM Post #58,535 of 149,252
Thanks for the reply. I just tested this in my main system with my Modi Multibit and, you're right, it works fine. For my downstairs system I'm not terribly worried about SQ since it's more for casual listening including listening on my patio speakers. For this reason, re-sampling doesn't bother me.

So now my dilemma is do I just get a standard $99 modi for the downstairs, or should I get a Bifrost 2 for the main system and move the Modi-Multibit to the downstairs system? Hmmm....
The second option is the obvious answer to continue your journey towards the singularity. Look at all the gas money you’ve saved (enabler warning).

Apr 25, 2020 at 9:43 PM Post #58,537 of 149,252
If a cable is of sufficient unconventional construction, its effective reactance (inductance, capacitance) may make some (poorly designed) amplifiers unstable (ringing or worse, oscillation). in such a situation, no eq will fix that.

If you use an EQ, you don't need to buy "a cable of sufficient unconventional construction" to start with. Then your poorly designed amp will not oscillate.

Apr 25, 2020 at 10:19 PM Post #58,538 of 149,252
Anybody have any experience running the optical out from a 3rd generation AppleTv to a Modi? I'm thinking this would be an easy way to use AirPlay to get Roon to another room in my house for cheap. I have an AppleTV that I'm not currently using (moved to Roku) so an extra $99 for a Modi would let me get some use back out of it. I know there are devices to extract audio from an HDMI source that are cheaper than a Modi, but I'd honestly rather give my $$ to Schiit.

Thoughts?

I do a variation on that. My Apple TV optical goes to my DAC and I stream to it. It works very well for me, and the sound is good. Very convenient to operate from iPhone, iPad or computers, and even a Kindle Fire.

Apr 25, 2020 at 10:20 PM Post #58,539 of 149,252
I really can't recommend a Raspberry Pi 4 in a Flirc case running RoPieee for a Roon endpoint enough.
I have this exact setup. I have used it both wired ethernet and wireless. I have also used direct USB to Gungnir MultiBit Unison, used with Eitr and also with Musical Fidelity USB converter that I forget the model # . its solid.

Love the Flirc case as well.

Apr 25, 2020 at 11:14 PM Post #58,540 of 149,252
You can find a Chromecast Audio on eBay and it will steam up to 24/96, has an optical out and works with Roon. Prices are all over the place but it looks like you can get one for ~ $50.

Chromecast Audio will stream up to 24/96, but in my experience it doesn't stream very well at this rate.... Jitter issues on Amazon, and not able to download fast enough on Qobuz or Tidal. When it can't keep up it keeps downgrading to 16/44 and then back up to 24/96 multiple times and then down and up again, multiple times per song. Which causes my Schiit dacs to reset as well. My best experience has been when locked into 16/44. Works amazingly well for the price at 16/44

I have 4 of them.

I don't have Roon. Maybe using it as a Roon endpoint solves the issues I've experienced.

Apr 25, 2020 at 11:21 PM Post #58,541 of 149,252
Schiit n Music

I hope everyone is doing OK.
Story/Saturday Night continued:

Wednesday a week ago, we ordered vegetables/fruit from local farm place.
Order and then pick up in the parking lot.
Drove wife’s car.
Parked at store awaiting our box to emerge.
Ready to leave, car will not run.
Now need brother in law to fetch us home.
Then call and key delivery to auto shop.
Wayyyyy to many interactions.
Required Frank Zappa to talk me down.

Grocery pick up is an adventure in surprise; as in what did we get this time baaaby.
“Order today to pick up next week.”

T Paper secured.

Sunday drive about and photo opportunity.

Wife turned 65 this week.
Aside: Pre virus we planned to visit our son, daughter in law and 8 month old granddaughter. They live in the UK.
Would have been there for grandma’s birthday and to celebrate our 40 anniversary a bit early. Now the visits are FaceTime.

Baked my 3 layer “worlds best carrot cake”.

Fixed brunch.
FaceTime time.
Started whole house music with Beach Mix - a collection of Carolina Beach Music, Beach Boys, Jimmy Buffett, Dick Dale, early rock, and much much more.
Held cocktails with snacks hour.
Prepared and served dinner:
Seared scallops on bacon cream sauce​
Wild rice​
Citrus wilted spinach​
A bit of crusty bread​
Wine​
Served Birthday cake
A wonderful time was had by all …. well both of us.

Out in the yard more now.

Whole house music accompanying us a large part of the time.
News on to much
A lot of time is spent cooking, eating, organizing and securing food.
Not much headphone time. Does not feel right to tune out, mostly late after dinner when wife is sleeping.

The Schiit stack(s) and headphone(s) are an Excentrifugal Forz when I do tune out.

Ordered Beyerdynamic DT990 250 ohm to go with the Modi 3 and Magni 3 stack as a birthday gift. Planing to gift early. History of exchanging liquor. Not this year, just because.

Stay sane and safe (although a little insanity may be a good thing)
and
Enjoy the Schiit N Music

Edit:
Just received this -
I don't think anyone expected that when we changed the clocks we'd go from Standard Time to the Twilight Zone​

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2020 at 2:19 AM Post #58,542 of 149,252
Here’s a cable review with measurements.

I feel ripped off! Okay, the presenter was pleasant, low key. At the beginning he states that, after years of debunking cables, what in the heck is he doing reviewing a cable. So, he talks about about a new system he has for review, and a bunch of new Kimber 8TC cables for the new system. He praises the termination and measurements of the cable. And some other stuff.
Then, as he is wrapping up I thought, he can't be done. HE HASN'T INSTALLED THE CABLES, LISTENED TO THE SYSTEM WITH THE CABLES INSTALLED, AND REPORTED ON WHAT HE HEARD OR DID NOT HEAR.
..talk about voodoo. :angry:

[The above post is intended as comic relief]

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2020 at 2:36 AM Post #58,543 of 149,252
Shiit n Music

I hope everyone is doing OK.
Story/Saturday Night continued:

Wednesday a week ago, we ordered vegetables/fruit from local farm place.
Order and then pick up in the parking lot.
Drove wife’s car.
Parked at store awaiting our box to emerge.
Ready to leave, car will not run.
Now need brother in law to fetch us home.
Then call and key delivery to auto shop.
Wayyyyy to many interactions.
Required Frank Zappa to talk me down.

Grocery pick up is an adventure in surprise; as in what did we get this time baaaby.
“Order today to pick up next week.”

T Paper secured.

Sunday drive about and photo opportunity.

Wife turned 65 this week.
Aside: Pre virus we planned to visit our son, daughter in law and 8 month old granddaughter. They live in the UK.
Would have been there for grandma’s birthday and to celebrate our 40 anniversary a bit early. Now the visits are FaceTime.

Baked my 3 layer “worlds best carrot cake”.

Fixed brunch.
FaceTime time.
Started whole house music with Beach Mix - a collection of Carolina Beach Music, Beach Boys, Jimmy Buffett, Dick Dale, early rock, and much much more.
Held cocktails with snacks hour.
Prepared and served dinner:
Seared scallops on bacon cream sauce​
Wild rice​
Citrus wilted spinach​
A bit of crusty bread​
Wine​
Served Birthday cake
A wonderful time was had by all …. well both of us.

Out in the yard more now.

Whole house music accompanying us a large part of the time.
News on to much
A lot of time is spent cooking, eating, organizing and securing food.
Not much headphone time. Does not feel right to tune out, mostly late after dinner when wife is sleeping.

The Schiit stack(s) and headphone(s) are an Excentrifugal Forz when I do tune out.

Ordered Beyerdynamic DT990 250 ohm to go with the Modi 3 and Magni 3 stack as a birthday gift. Planing to gift early. History of exchanging liquor. Not this year, just because.

Stay sane and safe (although a little insanity may be a good thing)
and
Enjoy the Shiit N Music

Edit:
Just received this -
I don't think anyone expected that when we changed the clocks we'd go from Standard Time to the Twilight Zone​

Sounds like you are doing it the right way... At least you have an ocean between you as a buffer. Yes this can be good and bad.. I have a 5 yo and a 16 month old, my parents live about 4 blocks away..Social distancing is H A R D, physically and emotionally.

Cooking and music has been a relief for me as well. Thankful im currently employed, and have a large yard and fixer upper that I'm 2 years behind schedule on (as my dad puts it) wait till he finds out we are expecting a third bundle of joy amid this madness.... I'll be 4 years behind schedule by summers end.

Stay safe folks..Tunes in excess and the minimum amount of booze to make it through (yes this varies daily).

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2020 at 2:55 AM Post #58,544 of 149,252
For most people, it stutters when streaming above 48kHz. Discussion in the Chromecast Audio thread:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chr...comment-on-sound-quality.782899/post-15558589
That's not my experience.
Chromecast Audio will stream up to 24/96, but in my experience it doesn't stream very well at this rate.... Jitter issues on Amazon, and not able to download fast enough on Qobuz or Tidal. When it can't keep up it keeps downgrading to 16/44 and then back up to 24/96 multiple times and then down and up again, multiple times per song. Which causes my Schiit dacs to reset as well. My best experience has been when locked into 16/44. Works amazingly well for the price at 16/44

I have 4 of them.

I don't have Roon. Maybe using it as a Roon endpoint solves the issues I've experienced.
I have only used it as a Roon endpoint so I cannot speak to Amazon/Qobuz/Tidal. I have never had an issue using it as a Roon endpoint.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back