Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 12, 2020 at 9:33 PM Post #58,381 of 149,153
So do you also listen to *gasp* solid-state gear?

Here's one of the albums solid state gear was made for...

StreetsInTheSky.jpg

Apr 13, 2020 at 10:01 AM Post #58,383 of 149,153
for the HD700 specifically, the impedance vs frequency sweep plots show a sharp rise ~ 250Hz (likely caused by the driver mechanical resonance) up to about 350 ohms. Typically, dynamic drivers exhibit an impedance rise at their resonant frequency (typ in the 100 to 400 hz range) which when combined with a high amplifier output impedance can cause a peak in the frequency response (boomy, one-notey kind of bass / mid-bass). As @Dana Reed @David Aldrich mentioned its best to select an amp with lower impedance for dynamic cans to prevent the frequency response bump.
Thanks all for the info. With this being my initial foray into this class of headphones, I guess I shouldn't be too surprised things don't behave as I would've expected. My Phonitor is trekking its way across the country and should be in my hot, ape-like hands on Thursday. Yesterday I connected the E2's to my big speaker amp and unsurprisingly they sounded amazing.

Also, just received notification that my Hel has shipped. Since my company is has gone to 100% teleconferencing, even amongst those of us still in the office, I thought it would be a good investment.

PS: Tried to do a multi-quote but it looks like it didn't work completely, so apologies to those not quoted. I definitely appreciate your replies!

Apr 13, 2020 at 11:16 AM Post #58,384 of 149,153
The last couple of weeks of driving the LRSs hard with 2 Vidars has been very enjoyable. I've switched back and forth with the B&Ws which I find are no slouches either. The 685 S2s are not very efficient speakers as well. The Vidars provide quick solid bass and I find the cymbals and other high frequency percussion crisp and precise on both tweeter systems. The midrange I'm finding very appealing with the imaging and soundstage depth provided by the LRSs outstanding. Again, my wife who rarely comments, but demands good music, has made multiple comments on the imaging. I've got them 3 feet from the front wall.

I've been streaming from Prime HD or Spotify, and also quite a bit from the CD transport. Very clean and low noise-floor all through the wonderfully performing Freya S. I've settled on the Nexus gain stage of 4 with this setup. This puts the volume at about 11 or 12 for most of my listening and like the way it sounds.

No buzzing of Vidar transformers - I can only hear them if I put my head down near the heatsinks. The power to this room, which was an addition, seems to provide fairly clean circuits. Nothing audible when switching Freya S inputs and only a light bump when switching off the Vidars (which have only been off a couple times over the last month).

Listening to the CD The Bad Plus - Never Stop II. Trying out a new Pangea SE Digital Cable. The only significant filter I've got going on is a bit of Pikesville Rye. I must say it is sounding very fine. Slàinte
would you care to comment on the difference, if you've tried it, between driving the Maggies with a singe stereo Vidar and the monos?

Apr 13, 2020 at 11:35 AM Post #58,385 of 149,153
would you care to comment on the difference, if you've tried it, between driving the Maggies with a singe stereo Vidar and the monos?
Last week I did finally try a single Vidar driving the LRS. I connected it to the Freya S with some nice DH Labs Air Matrix SE cables and while it wasn't an extensive listening session, I thought it sounded fine. Upon switching back to the dual setup with Pangea balanced cables, my impression is that the monos were a bit more dynamic and lively. I've also wanted to hook-up my NAD 214 amp to the LRS but have not had the opportunity yet. I will say that 2 weeks ago while breaking in the speakers I set the system at a level above what I would comfortably listen to (above 90db) for 6 hours while I did other things around the house and the dual Vidars didn't miss a beat. When I turned it off they were sounding great and quite warm/hot to the touch. At my normal listening levels they are a similar temp as when driving the B&Ws. I would say driving them with a good single stereo amp would be a good place to start and see what you think.

Apr 14, 2020 at 3:15 PM Post #58,388 of 149,153
A fully loaded Ragnarok without the speaker amplifier section please.
That would actually be pretty sweet, especially if it had room for 2 Unison USB inputs (one for a streamer, the other for the very shortly upcoming Schiit CD player...)

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2020 at 3:22 PM Post #58,389 of 149,153
Well, my "big boy" Schiit stack is now complete!

IMG_0454.jpeg

While it would probably be instructive to do some side-by-side comparisons with the Modi 3, which I was using before the Bifrost 2 arrived, I'm already noticing distinctly better detail, resolution, precision, just an overall sense of *confidence* from the Bifrost 2. The cliche about "hearing details I never knew were there" certainly applies here, with the Bifrost seeming to pull nuance out of busier mixes and really fleshing out clean acoustic recordings (I started with Patricia Barber's Cafe Blue as a test). Everything just feels exact, fully realized, and fully present.

So far I've been auditioning the stack with my LCD-Xs, but at some point I'll switch over to my HD660s to see how it goes. I also just ordered some HD6XXs to finally get a sense of that classic 600/650 sound. Meantime, though, I'm very, very happy with this setup.

Apr 14, 2020 at 11:41 PM Post #58,391 of 149,153
What a strange article. The attempt at justifying high bit-rates is technically a hash and paired with the equipment recommended, replete with amazon links, is anathema to hi-def or maybe even hi-fi.

The nod to Fulla is cool but where did it come from and why is it there? No amazon link? what?

There's probably a name for this type of article where you are given a list of junk to promote and try to make it look like it's not just a paid advertisement.

So kudos to the author for telling us what he really thought should be reviewed :)

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2020 at 10:08 AM Post #58,392 of 149,153
What a strange article. The attempt at justifying high bit-rates is technically a hash and paired with the equipment recommended, replete with amazon links, is anathema to hi-def or maybe even hi-fi.

The nod to Fulla is cool but where did it come from and why is it there? No amazon link? what?

There's probably a name for this type of article where you are given a list of junk to promote and try to make it look like it's not just a paid advertisement.

So kudos to the author for telling us what he really thought should be reviewed :)

Rolling Stone stopped being relevant after the Sex Pistols broke up. :smile_cat:

Apr 15, 2020 at 10:55 AM Post #58,393 of 149,153
I think you’re being a bit too harsh. It’s easy, knowing what we know, to be critical but the article has some good information for the regular joe. While I don’t agree with focusing on Amazon and Tidal (instead of of the vastly superior Qobuz), this kind of article can get people started on the right track to actually “hearing” the music. I had a very nice turntable and 100s of records when I picked up a Bluesound Powernode. I was floored that a digital signal could sound so good. That eventually led me to Schiit and realizing that while the Node is a nice entry piece of equipment, it is easily topped by many other DACs. I have now unloaded all my “audiophile” records and am selling my turntable (I have a second “lesser” table for fun listening And the Yggy is now in my listening area).
In today’s audio market, many people feel like you HAVE to own a turntable to really “hear” the music. I found the article did a good job of explaining how digital sounds better today and is even more convenient!

Apr 15, 2020 at 10:58 AM Post #58,394 of 149,153
Rolling Stone stopped being relevant after the Sex Pistols broke up. :smile_cat:
:point_up_2:Funny post.

For some reason I found early issues of Rolling Stone, and the first couple of years of Saturday Night to interest me. Then...eh?
A couple of Rolling Stone exceptions. Around 1980's they had several journalists doing some interesting unique reporting outside of rock music. A couple of books came out from that that I am aware of.

https://books.google.com/books/about/Secrets_of_the_Temple.html?id=lFWuAAAAIAAJ

https://www.oslersweb.com/hillary-johnson

Apr 15, 2020 at 5:42 PM Post #58,395 of 149,153
Since i am stuck indoors, I can work on a few projects. This one in tulip poplar and ebony.thumbnail_IMG_2122.jpgthumbnail_IMG_2145.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back