Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 29, 2020 at 2:29 PM Post #57,931 of 145,639
Hello, can you elaborate more on “a tad more revealin?”

which is more warmer given the same stock tubes?

I have the Freya+ in my two channel setup. I am thinking either the Saga+ or the Freya+ for my study (using ribbon headphones).

would greatly appreciate your thoughts.

The Freya (to me) is slightly quieter - so there seems to be the tiniest bit more detail heard. I hate to use the term but...it's like removing 1 (just 1!) small veil. I prefer using both as passives so I'm not the best person to ask about the tube sound. Overall it's the classic law of diminishing returns. Is that little bit of extra performance from the Freya worth the expense? Up to you. As I said before, you can't go wrong with any of the pres. I would buy the cheapest (Saga S) without hesitation.

Mar 29, 2020 at 2:40 PM Post #57,932 of 145,639
It's all about the headroom.. I'm not sure why people automatically equate more power with more volume. It's about transients, dynamics and attack. As they say in the auto world 'there's no substitute for cubic inches'. YMMV.

I think more people equate more power with better sound, which couldn't be further from the truth.

Mar 29, 2020 at 2:48 PM Post #57,933 of 145,639
Quite often, a ML stylus will play a used LP better/quieter than an elliptical. The ML can track a portion of the groove that was not worn (or even abused) by the previous owner's cartridge. Sometimes a conical will play used vinyl best. A lot of collectors will switch between a ML (or another advanced stylus type) and a conical, completely skipping an elliptical.

Horses for courses.

For those just getting into or returning to vinyl, Vinyl Engine is a great resource.

https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_forum/?sid=cb636d7b2969ed16e00c7276d93b6cc6

This is why I got the "C" as well... plus it was $50 for the pair. I do plan on getting either the ML or SH down the road, but for now I'm going to enjoy the ones I have.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2020 at 6:11 PM Post #57,934 of 145,639
Nice to know @SuperRoo !
Im thinking about buy the exact same speakers :)
Did you already tried the P3esr with just 1 Vidar? Im wondering if one unit is enought to power them at decent levels in a 4 x 4 m2 room. If i decide towards Aegir sure i will need 2 right?

Cheers

PJ
how loud do you listen?
with 20W max spl shall be 94dB if speakers are in the corner and about 2.75m from listening position to speaker.
i highly recommend atc scm19. fantastic speaker, also closed system but larger woofer, so go a bit lower.

Mar 29, 2020 at 6:24 PM Post #57,935 of 145,639
how loud do you listen?
with 20W max spl shall be 94dB if speakers are in the corner and about 2.75m from listening position to speaker.
i highly recommend atc scm19. fantastic speaker, also closed system but larger woofer, so go a bit lower.

p3esr are specified at 6 ohms, so Aegir should deliver ~30W into that load. also did your spl calculation take into account +3dB with both channels driven?

room gain from "corner", actually more like 2-edge loading, presuming these are stand-mounted will have less fall-off the point-source-like mid and high frequencies.

not a good choice if you like the "Dunkirk" battle scenes, nagado daiko, 1812 cannon shots, etc. :)

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2020 at 9:21 PM Post #57,936 of 145,639
First I hope all are safe, well and taking care of themselves/families.

Story:
Self isolated for 2+ weeks in NC. Well supplied, for a bit at least.

Tonight wife and I cooked a nice dinner, an aside - we live in an over 100yr old house which has a 100 yr old room layout.

First we did Zoom with relatives. "Five o'clock somewhere", baked brie and gin tonics sitting on stools at the bar. Music streamed whole house via airport express into Bifrost MBs and Pioneer vintage.

Dining room is off the living room (commandeered the space for Lionell O scale trains* on a 4x8 table and a pair of Pioneer vintage HPM 100 speakers). The HPMs are fed from a Gungnir MB Unison USB and Pioneer Spec 1 & 4 stack. Understood; this and the airport rigs are not sit and get lost speaker systems. Whole house is the key.

Cooked dinner listening to "Patio Mix" and sipping Tim Smith Climax Moonshine. Patio Mix is a mostly upbeat mix I created years ago for patio parties, duh. It includes what us old NC folks call Beach Music, other dancing beats and rock and roll.

Moved to dining room, directly across from the HPMs, to eat. Wine served. Music playing.
Damn good.

My point:
Be safe and keep loved ones safe.
Find ways to make the most of the situation enjoying yourself.
May your music make you happy.
Thank Schiit for their part.
r2

* Story for maybe someday.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2020 at 10:28 PM Post #57,937 of 145,639
I think more people equate more power with better sound, which couldn't be further from the truth.

Obviously if the amp is a piece of crap it doesn't matter if it has more power. Having enough power and head room really does matter. That is not the same thing as equating more power is better sound...

Mar 29, 2020 at 10:59 PM Post #57,938 of 145,639
dear all schiit members,

I purchased my yddg 4years ago with analog 1 so my series number start with Axxxxxx, however I upgraded to analog 2, may I know anyway I can know my board is anolog 2? my windows 10 system showing Yggdrasil gen 5 but not showing analog 1 or 2.... thanks for your kind advise.....

There should be a new serial number sticker on the back that starts with B

Mar 30, 2020 at 9:35 AM Post #57,940 of 145,639
My understanding was that they're schutting down the SchiitR for a couple of weeks, that is, the schowroom, but not their main HQ where they do manufacturing, RnD, schipping, and all that.
So that's why things still get shipped out. :)

Yes but you have to be careful here. Things move fast. If I look at our company, things (major things often) change by the week, if not by the day. In our large international company 85% of the employees are working from home within 2 weeks.

Mar 30, 2020 at 10:00 AM Post #57,941 of 145,639
My understanding was that they're schutting down the SchiitR for a couple of weeks, that is, the schowroom, but not their main HQ where they do manufacturing, RnD, schipping, and all that.
So that's why things still get shipped out. :)

If you click through on the first slide of our website homepage, you'll see we are up and running, shipping orders, providing support, and performing service. The Schiitr is closed for a while, though.

I hope everyone stays safe through all of this!

I'm trying to finish up a chapter for you this week on "Perspectives on Four Disruptions," a (hopeful) take based on my experience with, er, unexpected change.

Last edited:
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Mar 30, 2020 at 12:00 PM Post #57,942 of 145,639
Seem to recall, a few pages back, someone suggesting the eagerly-anticipated upmarket phono preamp (I call it the SuperMani - hey, I should trademark that before Schiit does!)could or should be powered by a wall wart.

I'm hoping the SuperMani will use tubes (and the more the better) which I think will rule out the wall wart. But if the new unit does turn out to be all solid state, why not make it battery powered? Phone pres deal with very low level signals and hardly gobble kilowatts while doing so. And the best way to protect those fragile signals from electronic interference is to take the whole show off grid. At least one phono stage did just that using a bunch of D cells. About the simplest and most economical implementation possible.

Most people today would probably expect a built-in rechargeable battery, as in a laptop. The charger could be a wall wart. Should Schiit go that route, I can see them putting the charger jack on the front panel for, you know, convenience while the power switch is on the rear panel because, hey, we're Schiit and that's how we roll.

Mar 30, 2020 at 1:24 PM Post #57,943 of 145,639
Seem to recall, a few pages back, someone suggesting the eagerly-anticipated upmarket phono preamp (I call it the SuperMani - hey, I should trademark that before Schiit does!)could or should be powered by a wall wart.

Mani Uber maybe?
Or (drumroll) ManiAC? :upside_down:

Mar 30, 2020 at 1:31 PM Post #57,944 of 145,639

I'm hoping the SuperMani will use tubes (and the more the better) which I think will rule out the wall wart. But if the new unit does turn out to be all solid state, why not make it battery powered? Phone pres deal with very low level signals and hardly gobble kilowatts while doing so. And the best way to protect those fragile signals from electronic interference is to take the whole show off grid. At least one phono stage did just that using a bunch of D cells. About the simplest and most economical implementation possible.

Most people today would probably expect a built-in rechargeable battery, as in a laptop. The charger could be a wall wart. Should Schiit go that route, I can see them putting the charger jack on the front panel for, you know, convenience while the power switch is on the rear panel because, hey, we're Schiit and that's how we roll.

No tubes (-100dB THD+N at 60dB gain with tubes--ah, no), no batteries (ah hell no, that means shipping restrictions), no wall wart, Freya sized, at least 10x the price of Mani, and probably not for a looongg time. We are reprioritizing development based on today's realities, sorry.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Mar 30, 2020 at 2:32 PM Post #57,945 of 145,639
No tubes (-100dB THD+N at 60dB gain with tubes--ah, no), no batteries (ah hell no, that means shipping restrictions), no wall wart, Freya sized, at least 10x the price of Mani, and probably not for a looongg time. We are reprioritizing development based on today's realities, sorry.

Thanks for clarifying the direction this could take, eventually!

My heart sank a little bit when I read "not for a LOONGG time!" I totally understand, but man... in Schiit terms, the emphasis on "long" means we should probably stop talking about it altogether for a while on this forum. I think it keeps coming up because it's a product in which a lot of us are quite interested.

@Jason Stoddard - you mentioned prioritization of development activities. I'm curious; would Schiit ever consider polling their existing customers when deciding which projects to prioritize? I'm sure it could open up a can of worms, be a pain in the ass, etc., but would be interested in hearing your thoughts on this.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back